Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polished Fuel Cap

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Thumbs up Polished Fuel Cap

Lenny, I really like the polished chrome look! How did you do that?

Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

hi

well i took it out and stripped it down and toot the lock out

then sanded it with 400 sanding paper till all the paint was off

then went to 800 then to 1200 till i could get it as smooth as possible then polished it with metal polish

took me hours and hours

i would take it to some one with a buffer makes for an easier job

Very nice!

I am actually considering painting mine more of a satin black. Match the cladding when it's all cleaned up.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Even with a buffing wheel it takes a long time. But in the end it SHINES SHINES SHINES! I used jewelers rouge for the final buff and it looks just like it was chromed. Lots of people notice it and many comment on it. Some people think its more interesting than the whole car and ask where I got it. "Whats that from a jet or something"
    I also used taperproof stainless hex heads ( the ones with the pins in the center) to fasten it back on, thus adding to the mystique
    The hardest part is getting the paint off. I had to use pure toluene, and let it soak for a while.
    Last edited by SpaceTruck'n : 03/03/2004 at 01:29 PM

Not bad but I think I like the stock look. I would like to get some rims the same color gray.
    Shan
    Phoenix, AZ
    2001 - Fox - VX

SpaceTruckin...you should join us for our car show get together in April up in Oracle, Az. so we can check out all the work you've done to your VX up close and personal!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I dig it! Truckin - How hard was the polishing once the paint was off?
    Formerly VxRaNgEr

hi

it wasnt to bad just time consumeing

but worth it

Lenny, SpaceTruck'n:

I'm ready to do this mod. My concern is upkeep/oxidation. How long has it been since you did the mod? Have you had any problem with tarnishing or rusting? Did you clear coat the finish after you were done? Would that even work?

Any advice is most appreciated. Rob

MOTORCYCLE gas caps look the same as the one on the VX.

I caution people who want to go this route. The look is nice but this is not a shine and forget mod. This is a maintenance mod. Once you get it looking good the finish will start to dull and look cloudy after a month or so. You will constantly have to re buff it with a high polish compound to keep the shine. I used Mothers. In the sport bike scene we usually polish the frame, gas cap and Swingarm. I did this and the look was Great. But after some time from the weather you will have to take out the buffer and polish it again. Of course this time the parts are installed and you have to take special care not to buff any painted areas as this will take some clear coat off or even the paint. Even if you do polish it is still hard to get into those hard to reach corners to complete the shine. If you don't polish in there then it looks like you have dirt in those corners.

The easiest and safest way was to remove parts to allow you room and polish again. After awhile some people tend to get fed up with having to constantly polish it that they just let it go and then it really looks bad as just a cloudy chrome finish.

I think it is a great mod but just a word of caution if you do no want to invest the time each month to polish it again. The polish process is not the same as you polishing your vehicle. In this case you will have to take the fuel cap off and repolish and then reinstall it each time. Another Caution is that each time you polish you are taking some of the finish away. So over time your part will start to look like uneven surfaces so make sure you polish evenly. Of course this is when you have polished so many times for years.

Cheers,

Forgot my last statement. You might want to look into a HONDA VFR Fuel cap or any late model sportbike Fuel cap. They come in many colors and looks identical to what is on the VX. If Isuzu and Honda are in cahoots then maybe they took it out of a HONDA MC. For those looking for a different color cap then this might be an option. Or pick one and polish one up so that your original stays original For the Black Matte finish to match the cladding looking into the HONDA Black Bird sportbike.
    Cheers
    Last edited by azskyrider : 03/25/2004 at 01:47 PM

options

Even for those who do want to keep the original then this might be an option. It is an overlay and is cheap. Just peel and apply. They will also do custom designs and orders.

Fuel decals

azskyrider:

I thought that maintenance would be a pain. Great idea about sportbike fuel caps...I'm gonna check it out and see if any will fit.
    I also saw an Audi TT with a similar chrome aircraft-style fuel cap that looked to be the same size and might fit. Rob

Originally posted by RobVX
    azskyrider:

I thought that maintenance would be a pain. Great idea about sportbike fuel caps...I'm gonna check it out and see if any will fit. .... Rob
    They also sell the Hex bolts in different Idonize colors for a more custom look. you can pick those up at any sportbike shop.

Lightbulb

Wonder how it would look glass beaded? Hmmmm...

In any case, here's how to have the chrome look without the constant maintenance: Once polished to mirror smoothness, go get it chromed. Yep, that simple. Better yet, get it triple plated. Deep, deep shine!

Careful with aluminum anodized bolts, you could end up with some nasty galvanic corrosion.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...