Thread: spark coils?, simple question..

spark coils?, simple question..

hey all..

im just wondering if the red coils i see in all the pictures have covers? my coils are all black, im wondering if im missing something or maybe their replacements or something.. everything works fine ofcourse, but its been bugging me...
    thanks in advance...
    Maverick
    99' Ebony VX sold...

Interesting- I know the VX has red coils and the Trooper has black. As far as I know I have never heard of any specs different between the two. Why they would be replaced is one question and another is did Isuzu use them for the first few until the red ones were installed on later 99's? Did you buy it used, or new? How many miles? High miles may possibly mean motor blew (#1 cylinder bearing issue) and thats a Trooper 3.5 swapout. Sorry to turn your question in several, but all could be a possibility.

i bought mine used only recently, it seems to be a late model 99' with a vin of 1745 (or close to that anyhow, dont have it in front of me..) just turned 61k, bought it with 59XXX
    no signs of an engine swap, unless they were very, very clean about it.. (no knurled bolts i can see, scratched engine compartment , or any of the normal stuff you see when an engine is done..) but anythings possible i suppose..

so far as i can tell, the only thing that is different about this engine is the coils..and it appears to have been very well taken care of by its prior owner...
    man, now ill have to check the engine numbers to see they all match up.....

Good luck- I have never heard of black coils on a VX. I have a Trooper and VX so Ill try to find any different #'s or codes on block or firewall at home this evening. They are not covers on the coils either. They are "housings". I guess you could swap internal components- but time and labor wouldnt be worth it so I doubt it very seriously. People have lost their engine as early as 5,000 miles so it may swapped. Where did you buy it? You might be getting into legalities if you bought it from a dealership or something.

Your build # is higher than mine so it cant be a mid model change.scratch one theory.

I had an interesting oil change yesterday on both. same wrench, same filter, same oil capacity, 2 mobil 1 5 quart containers.needless to say it went pretty darn fast!