Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stock audio line in?

Question Stock audio line in?

Does anyone know if there is a port in the back of the stereo for a line in which i can laed to the shifter area to connect to my iPod instead of using the tape deck connection?
    I can replace the stereo at Best Buy with a system that has the option ofa line out to where ever i want.
    I would even take out the 6 disc changer to make room for a little spot for my pod.
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

no there is no port on teh back of the radio for u to run ur ipod to...

it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to change the deck and changer cause the isuzu changer we have r known for eating cds
    ________
    WIKI VAPORIZER
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 02:49 PM

thanks!

i was just trying to save some cash.

hmm..

doubleadesign,

last time i posted anything about my mac here, i caught some flack, but reluctantly, i'm going to let you and any other iPod owners in on a little upgrade that i am about to do.

it just so happens that Alpine has announced that all 2004 AI net controller capable head units are compatible with a cable that alpine is releasing in spring that you plug your ipod into and hide it.

from that point, you iPod charges and is controlled visually (full controll) through th head unit display and control. this is the ultimate way (in my mind the only way) and what i have been waiting for for my iPod!!! you can actually browse your iPod and such through the Alpine interface (as well as with the wireless remote) they announced it at CES.

I was torn between a pioneer system and the Alpine, and then, being an iPod owner, Alpine made the decision for me. I will be upgrading soon.

hope this info is useful, and that it excites you as much as it did me!

technocoy
    macintosh man

Well, not exactly sure how to go about this, but obviously the CD changer has to play low-level audio into the stereo... there is one plug harness that feeds from the changer into the headunit... in that harness (at least the harness extension) there are twelve wires... in those twelve wires, there has to be at least ONE power wire (+12V) if not TWO (constant and switched)... or maybe even three (remote)... there will be at least ONE ground wire as well... IF I still had my VX intact, I would go probe the wires for you and tell you which wires are which... but since its not together... maybe you or someone knowledgable can do it. Anyway, of the remaining wires, you will probably have FOUR wires that are basically your low-level output to the headunit... to play through the headunit's amplifier... this means that theoretically you should be able to feed audio (low-level) into the deck and play it out the speakers... now... with that being said, you are on your own... I am not responsible for anything that comes of this... just wanted to open your mind up to possibilities... with a high-impedence tester (digital multimeter or probe... NOT a test light), you sohuld be able to figure this out. Lemme know if you have any specific questions on how to test these wires. TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Coversion as we speak!
    Click Image to Visit My Website!

Actually now that I have posted that... there are also some kind of controls wires going from deck to changer... my setup was only in my VX for a SHORT period of time before I put my DVD player in there... forgot about the controls on the deck for the changer... anyway... so I say there is a constant power, switched power (maybe even a remote-on type of wire), controls for disc change, track change (up and down) and then FOUR wires for your audio low level... take it from there... I'd be happy to try to help if I can.

TTYL!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!)

My 2000 Ironman VX!... Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18's on stock 18" rims, Power Vault Muffler, Tone Monday's custom tow package, OME 912 Springs, custom audio/video/multimedia computer system in the works! Transformation to LS1 V-8 Power as we speak!
    My Webshots Gallery...

decisions, decisions

the only thing i'm geek about is my mac. and that's only at the enduser level.

i've seen the info on alpine the day they anounced it. i too, was excited about it. but, i'm afraid of the price tag. it's been three years and i'm still wincing at how much this truck costs me per month.

and i don't have enough resources to tear up the dash to get to the audio stuff on my own. wish i did though.

well, it looks like if i want to add easy iPod access i'm gonna have to shell out at the very leat $350+ for something decent.

the alpine stuff mentioned the glove box for storage. well, mine is packed!

thanks for all your imput out there.

if i can find a decent audio shop maybe i'll have them pokearound with the changer idea.

Re: decisions, decisions

I guess I shoulda asked this question earlier... what is an iPod?! Does it have some kind of audio out that can be played through an auxilary input of a stereo? Do you know any specs on it... mV rating? Lemme know if you can.

Originally posted by doubleadesign
    if i can find a decent audio shop maybe i'll have them pokearound with the changer idea.
    As for finding a good shop, your gonna have a hard time to find a shop willing to play around with trying to tap into your stock stuff... doesn't make them much money... and its a gamble even if you say they aren't responsible for possible damage to your deck. I will dig around in the mountains of wire I cut out of my VX and see if I can find the harness from the deck... if I can find it, I'll take it to work tomorrow and play with it a little. If I can figure anything out, I'll let ya know.

TTYL!

Coach!

There are a number of generic digital FM Modulators out there that will allow you to attach any line level device and play over an unused FM preset. Sound quality is more than sufficient for an MP3 or equivalent and they only run about $20 - $30 and are about the size of a large pager. Our VX antenna cable socket is actually near the steering column, so you could mount one behind the facia between the column and center dash.

Easy and simple!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

other options

I'm biased but the iPod is the best digital music player on the market. The numbers back me up even if the PC people disagree. it's made by Apple.

I have the Fm transmitter from Belkin and the iTrip. Neither impress me. The tape deck connection sounds best so far, though line in is the best option.

I also know there are a couple of decks out there with line-in in the front and some with line-in in the back in which they (Best Buy at least) will run a line where ever I want it to end up.

na...not all pc ppl think the ipod sucks...
    im a pc person and i think the ipod kicks....

40gig hd
    perfect sound
    300~500 bucks
    easy to use

wat could be better?
    other then teh hi-md
    ________
    Live Sex
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 02:50 PM

JVC has a couple of relatively cheap quality decks that have a line-in in the front.
    Formerly VxRaNgEr

There is a frontal port loader that JVC makes. Seen it at Curcuit City a few weeks ago. Probably the best bang for your buck, as it was priced at about $200.

I have seen ads for Pioneer and Alpine units with a firewire port, but I can't recall where. Perhaps Crutchfield. *shrug* A little searching on the web and you should be able to find something. I would prefer firewire over an SPDF connection anyday anyways.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

really

firewir-in. hmmmm......
    I'll do a little reasearch on that. thanks!

Wink YES! Okay, MAYBE...

Okay, follow this logic:
    -FujitsuTen makes the Isuzu stereo.
    -FujitsuTen makes the most Toyota stereos.
    -Toyota's interface for cd ('98 to '03) is the SAME as Isuzu.
    -PIE makes an adapter for an AUX line in for Toyota (you have to remove the CD player).
    -This adapter should work with Isuzu.
    I will confirm this weekend as I bought one for my Toyota, but will try it on my Isuzu and let you guys know.

http://www.pie.net/sec12sb1p.htm

Nate