Thread: Red Hood Insert?

Red Hood Insert?

I was just thinking, I would like to paint the hoodinsert Red.
    Anyone done this in this here at VX.info?
    How did ya do it?
    Got pics?
    Cool

thanks

AJ
    Knowledge is power!

Here is what it could look like... hope you do not mind WormGod...

-Dave

If you were to do that I would do it with Line-X like zadam123, I would definately do the cladding too, the picture above looks a little funny
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 01/29/2004 at 04:42 PM
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Talking

Ok - two quick Gimp versions of the above photo...

One of these days I'm going to spend more time and create a really good template to work with...

Brent
    www.xanderstudios.com

Lightbulb

The first photo looks pretty cool and I think that would be pretty sharp with the red-black interior. I don't think Line-X would be the way to go though, too rough and would trap all sorts of crap on the insert. The red cladding is a bit much for me, but then again that's me! Just take it to a good local paint shop and ask 'em how much to shoot it in the color you want, then remove it and take it to them. Best guess would be about $100 for good quality paint.

The insert is held on by about 10 or so nuts which are all easily accessible once you remove the hood insulation. I'd go with a matte or satin finish to maintain the non-glare look, although I can't imagine any glare ever coming off the thing.

Hope that helps! Be sure to post some photos too!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I think the insert in red would be kinda cool, but I agree with Joe - I wouldn't touch the cladding.

Ya, I think red cladding and insert could look quite sharp on a black VX with the red leather inside. Definately stands out in a crowd (as if a VX doesnt anyways!). Luckily, the gray leather I have already "somewhat" matches the grayISH cladding and insert on mine, heh.

Speaking of which, I was debating an all over paint job for my VX this year. I think if I do it, I am going Chevy Orange. Thinking of a 3 stage urethane pearl. This may only happen if I manage to get another hooptee for everyday use. I would hate to get my VX dirty with all the plans I have for it.

Last edited by WormGod : 01/29/2004 at 07:46 PM
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

well, was screwing around with paint (im not good enough to get the shiny look) but brought up a purple color.

black V with purple cladding/insert looked pretty kewl

I think I am gonna repaint the whole thing gun-metal grey from top to bottom . . .
    - To Err Is Human, To GET SOME is Divine -

Originally posted by WormGod
    Now THAT looks kick @$$! From the picture, with the highlights and lowlights... it looks like it would be painted in candy color... I like it! As for the red insert and cladding on black... looks pretty kewl... but the orange is AWSOME!

TTYL!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!)

My 2000 Ironman VX!... Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18's on stock 18" rims, Power Vault Muffler, Tone Monday's custom tow package, OME 912 Springs, custom audio/video/multimedia computer system in the works! Transformation to LS1 V-8 Power as we speak!
    My Webshots Gallery...

The interesting thing with a pearl flake in orange, you will get red, white, and yellow reflections depending on angle and lighting. Your VX could look like a rolling flame, heh.