Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: best replacement shocks

best replacement shocks

I would like to replace my shocks. Can anyone tell me what works best on our trucs? I would prefer something with an external res. just like the original. Where to get and how much $

Should I just get the oem shocks? Thanks to everyone's input
    Ironman

I just went to Isuzu Peter Fuller Watertown to check on my rear shocks. I feel excessive bouncing and some light "bang" in the rear. Morons told me - "no problem, its supposed to be like that".. they are not leaking... yeah right... just charged me $65 for nothing. Was attempting to push down my throat oil change and sticker - easy money for them. Not with me pal !
    Do not go there !

KYB Monomax will fit and much cheaper then stock ($439.40 a pop - do a search and see what other people are saying.

PS I need to find good mechanic in Boston and just loose all this BS dealership crap
    Andrey

I know a good shop in Salem, NH....a bit far.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Jonnie
    I know a good shop in Salem, NH....a bit far.

Jonathan
    where about in Salem ?

sorry Val, did not mean to hijack the thread

Valenki,

Do you go off road at all? if not I would just replace the stock shocks if you have the $$$

Andrey, Nashua is closer then Salem if you are willing to go that far. There is Peters Nissan Isuzu on Amherst Street in Nashua that do good work and do warrenty work without question (being reasonable).
    Live Free or DIE!

I would reccomend Sunshie Auto on Lynnway or uncle Alex at the Alley auto repair on Alley Str. I service my truck there and they both helped me alot.

Andrey, we need to find good replacement shocks for our trucks and go do them together, what do you think?

Smile

Hi Valenki, I may be coming up with an interesting shock replacement. I will be finding out more about them next week so I'll let you know about them if they will work.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

Wink Got spare pocket change?...

I am experimenting with Gabriel's Ultra Premium SUV shocks part G63707 Front & G63708 Rear. The ride is smoother and the VX is every bit as nimble as stock.

Changing shocks is a do it yourself mod. The upper rear bolts can be a bit tricky, but a 19mm crescent claw used with a breaker bar will make short work of it.

How you use your VX will better help in decision making with regards to what type of shock is best for your situation. In my case, 100% of my driving is ON road, and our city streets are cobble stone over hard packed clay covered by a mat of asphalt or concrete. In most cases the streets have ancient remains of street car/rail road tracks, ruts, potholes and other deformities known to rip a cars front end clean out. For this you need a bit more give than stock IMO.

I was surprised to see a shock as rugged as our aircraft grade aluminium KYB's fail, but I guess it's the mighty oak vs the storm principle at work AKA bend OR break
    Last edited by Navigator : 01/10/2004 at 09:05 PM
    NAVIGATOR

re: Rancho 9000X

How about those Rancho 9000x which can be adjusted from inside the cabin? Those look nice, currently I looking at them as a future replacement.
    An angry man is seldom reasonable, a reasonable is seldom angry

I don't have the Rancho 9000x myself, but I seem to recall other posts saying the shock quality and adjustability is great. I also remember reading that the in-cab compressor based adjuster is an expensive install, and hard to get working correctly.

So I think the verdict was, get the shocks, but adjust them at the shock directly rather than go with the in-cab adjustment. But it's also very cool when the in-cab adjustment does work.

Do a search of the forum. Those Rancho shocks have definitely come up in the past.

-Daver
    -Daver

I too have been looking at the Rancho's.
    My latest favorite are by Bilstein- specifically the 5150. http://www.bilstein.com/products/5150page.html
    They do not offer any adjustable models though if that is of interest.

Since the StinkyFab visit there is much to consider...

-gruven
    Last edited by gruven : 01/11/2004 at 03:54 PM
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Smile

The 5150's look great except they do not offer them in a end configuration that will fit our VX. They are all eye to eye shocks. Nor does the ext/col lengths match the stock shocks.

I'm working up a list of everything that will fit between brands including 1 manufactors comment on using their shocks that are the Trooper model.
    I will be buying shocks & thought I would put as much shock related info in 1 post instead of having everyone do the "search"

So, hang in there for a couple more days!

Just talked to Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu @ 800-727-8066. He said the stock shocks are different for front vs rear, but they all run $355 each! Yikes!

But when I change, I'm staying with the stock shocks unless I see a convincing concensus on alternatives here.

Randy
    Happy Flying!

Randy

Ok, sounds good. over 300 for the shocks will rea;;y eat us up. There are hundreds of shocks available. some of them have external reservuars like our OEM , we just need to find them.

I will try to list all of our choices and then well try them out on my truck , maybe Andrey will also be willing to participate. I will call and ask him today. Laterz

I have the adjustable ranchos and the in cab remote. When it is working its a really cool feature but as said above its not the most reliable remote, Make sure you have someone install it that is reputable as there is a lot that can go wrong with the in cab remote.

adam