Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: best replacement shocks

FYI

I would NOT recommend the Rancho 5000's. They are too soft for the VX.

Bilsteins. I had 9000's, and they are too soft on stiff.

I'm gonna talk to Trurchoice about building some custom Koni's

I want bump of reds, and rebound of yellows. I want to use the shocks to hold the truck down in fast corners. Stiffer rebound will keep it from jacking up on the suspension in fast transitions.

Yeah, I may have lost a chance to sell the doetsch shocks, but I wouldn't feel right selling them without full disclosure. If you want soft they may be your thing, but if you're one to drive your C Prepared car to work, you'll want real shocks instead.

John C.

John,

I appreciate the candor. I think you and I are looking for the same thing. I want my VX to corner well. In fact, I'm looking to lower it a little bit, too. I wonder what they use on something like the Dodge Ram SRT-10 or BMW X5 4.6 or Porsche Cayenne Turbo or even the Dodge Magnum? You'd think with all the heavier "performance" vehicles coming out these days there would be more options for us!
    Steve

you may want to look into different sway bars and/or bushings ... ........ torsion bars ...... rear coils .......to improve cornering ..... the shock absobers are only one variable in the equation ........
    the VX corners as good as just about SUV out there - even with shot shock absorbers .....
    and - be careful ...... or you will end up putting the VX on it's roof ........ it handles well - but it is not a 959 ..........

Originally posted by t2p
    you may want to look into different sway bars and/or bushings ... ........ torsion bars ...... rear coils .......to improve cornering ..... the shock absobers are only one variable in the equation ........
    Yeah, but you gotta start somewhere! I'll get to the other stuff in due time. I need shocks ATM, so I'm starting here. I actually decided to drop the VX 2" at the same time. I'm going to post questions in a new thread.

Well, after about 4 months with my Rancho RS9000's, I must say, I am both pleased and disappointed. The ride is a BIT smoother over rough terrain (concrete jungle full of potholes), but performance in the suspension is quite lagged. Cornering has become a brake pedal task now and the lean is very apparent. I am gonna sit with them for another month or so, but I may go back to the stocks.

I have driven 10 miles in another man's shocks. I have seen his performance. I know how he works. I don't think I care for it.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Yeah, that great initial turn in(for a truck) on lift throttle is gone with rancho shocks. its much better with the Bilsteins, but still not the valving of the originals.

John C.

Unhappy

I don't need to replace my original shocks at the moment, but I tried emailing KYB in hopes of eliminating the "middle-man" (i.e. the dealer, ISUZU) in hopes of reducing the high cost of replacements. My email simply said that I had a VX and needed original "KYB" shocks. Unfortunately, I've yet to get a response.

Was hoping to pass on a savings to the site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

hmmm .......
    If I did have a 'good' set of OEM's, I might remove them ...... and save them for a rainy day .....
    Jolly Roger .... good luck ....... $300+ appears to be the going rate for a shock absorber like the OEM unit ............ having priced (similar style - 'piggyback' ) motorcycle shock absorbers .......
    I believe most (all ?) 'replacement' KYB shock absorbers sold in the US are made in the US. On the contrary, I believe the VX OEM units were produced in Japan - so I would not be surprised if the KYB people in the US are not in the know as far as the VX shock absorber (or 'damper' as they say across the pond) is concerned ....

Thumbs up Rancho 9000's ...

... After 90 days of testing, I must say Rancho 9000's are the best "REPLACEMENT" shocks I've tried. Given 99.99998% of my driving is city driving the smoother ride is a plus. I set mine to 7 of 9 on the "Stiff-O-Meter" and my VX can still whip corners better than any other SUV I've driven. IMO about 90% of stock performance on 7 with more potential on 8 & 9

For the money and performance, I think i've found the perfect replacement shocks for my VX and driving style.

I've also tried Gabriel Ultra Premium SUV shocks. Too soft IMO, you'll feel like you're floating on a raft. Comfortable, but a major jump from stock performance.
    NAVIGATOR

Koni Lengths

I found this thread really helpful. I'm currently have KYB Gas-A-Just on a VX I just bought. I'd like either some stock units or maybe Koni. Koni Heavy Track shocks, 30-1565 and 30-1566 have the following lengths according to a Koni rep:

Front Comp Front Extend Rear Comp Rear Extend
    Stock 10.24 15.35 12.56 19.25
    Koni 10.15 15.35 12.72 19.69
    Last edited by dis1 : 01/19/2018 at 10:22 AM

UPDATE...
    SHOCK REBUILDING.. Good news / bad news.. 1st the good.. Noleen j6 has got rebuilding shocks down to $100 each (Labor) to service ( seals,nitrogen,and oil) the shock plus seal and bushing 22.98 and The bladder 15.98 total re-build & service is 138.96 each x4 = 555.84 TOTAL for rebuild !
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Bad news. To revalve takes more time and will cost $75.00 more. Thats the shock plus seal and bushing $22.98 and the bladder $15.98 total re-build & re-valve is $213.96 each x4 =855.84 for rebuild & re-valve ! UPDATE. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. I have been running these for a few months now and I hope I never have to use stock OEM again !!!

https://www.noleenj6.com

How do the KYB ride? Pros/Cons

Thanks,

Ro

Ive got a full set of KYB gas-a-just cheapo's to put on the VX. Thought i'd tear into that today. Come to find out the left front factory KYB is practically welded to the car after spending 145,000 miles on the east coast. So... I put it back together and walked away... Ill probably have to cut the bolt to remove it so I'll do that another day when I have time to go to the store.

Planning on having the factory KYB's rebuilt if theyre in good enough condition. I've got my fingers crossed they're all alright. They all still have the red boots so I hope the shafts are okay, but who knows with the condition of the rest of the car.

--------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...