Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: best replacement shocks

Originally posted by zadam123
    I have the adjustable ranchos and the in cab remote. When it is working its a really cool feature but as said above its not the most reliable remote, Make sure you have someone install it that is reputable as there is a lot that can go wrong with the in cab remote.

adam
    So would you say the remote problems are more of an installation issue or does the remote actually have a lot of problems in general?

I was under the impression from your previous posts about it that this was more of an installation issue with a loose hose or something to that effect
    Live Free or DIE!

Smile

Here is the start of a master list of shock part numbers that most VX'ers would consider.
    The big problem with a lot of shocks, that look good, is that the manufactor does not offer them in anything but eye to eye config. (OK for rear but not for front) Nor do they offer them in the correct length, extended to compressed. You can use some additional extended length in the rear. (to the point that the rear springs will fall out at full extension) These variations get into truck lift, etc and personal preferance.

So I'm listing what will be a standard replacement for a stock VX.

This is by no means complete but a starting point for your own research. You can do a search on the forum by shock manuf name & come up with members who have them and comments on them.

Isuzu VX OEM KYB rally type shocks for reference
    Extended Compressed P/N
    Frnt 15.35 x 10.24 89721 25330
    Rear 19.25 x 12.56 89721 25340

KYB aftermarket replacement (MonoMax)
    http://www.kyb.com/shocks/monomax.html
    VX listing
    Ext Comp P/N
    Frnt 15.35 x 10.39 565022
    Rear 19.49 x 12.95 565023

Bilstein
    http://www.bilstein.com
    Trooper listing
    P/N
    Frnt B46-1738 H2 (B46-1738 H1 for stiffer front shocks)
    Rear B46-1739 H1
    No other shock models for Trooper/VX spec's

Koni
    http://www.koni-na.com/display.cfm?m...ubmit=Continue
    Trooper listing 1992/96
    P/N
    Frnt 30-1565 (red)
    Rear 30-1566 (red)

Rancho
    http://www.gorancho.com
    Trooper listing
    RS9000X
    Ext Comp P/N
    Frnt 14.50 x 10.37 RS99214
    Rear 19.12 x 12.87 RS99215
    RS5000
    Ext Comp P/N
    Frnt 15.00 x 9.07 RS5214
    Rear 19.75 x 12.75 RS5215

Edelbrock
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...ic_trucks.html
    Performer IAS Series Shocks for Trooper
    “They are different sizes and have different strokes. We do not recommend using our shocks on vehicles they were not designed for as the inertia valve is vehicle specific. Your vehicle has a shorter chassis which makes it lighter -we do not recommend using our shocks as the valves are not calibrated for your vehicle. Please contact Bilstein for a recommendation.”

Gabriel
    http://www.gabriel.com/
    Trooper listing
    Ultra Premium SUV
    P/N
    Frnt G63707
    Rear G63708

OME
    http://www.arbusa.com/
    NitroCharger Shocks
    Trooper listing
    P/N
    Frnt N65 (firm) N26F (soft)
    Rear N15 (firm) N15C (soft)
    LTR shocks - No configuration for Trooper/VX

Tokico
    http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/truck/performsafe.html
    Trek>Master R/T
    Trooper listing
    P/N
    Frnt GE3497
    Rear GE3498

Doetsch Systems
    http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/monotube.php
    Nitrogen Gas 9000 Monotube 2.0 series. standard or rebuildable/with or without external reservoir, piggyback or SS braided line/valving setup as per customer spec’s.
    VX recomendation - XFirm. Rebuildable add "R" after M2 in P/N
    Ext Comp P/N
    Frnt 15.50 x 10.00 M29069
    Rear 19.50 x 12.50 M29129

LiftedRear 21.50 x 13.00 M29163
    Specify 9/16" steel sleeves for rear shock or you will get 1/2"

This is an OEM manufacture who will build up custom shocks to order.
    (As of this date 7-01-04, Doetsch was not able to build an exact equivalent to the VX shocks. This was determined after shipping a pair of original shocks to them for disassembly & examination. The shocks that they build are much softer than stock.)

No minimum quantity requirements.
    Rebuildable by the factory for $35.00 each or by any shop that rebuilds shocks.
    All styles of shocks including "In cockpit adjustable type" like the 9000 adjustables.

1-800-8SHOCKS Order direct. Talk to Derrick

I will continue to edit this post as I get more information.
    Last edited by Reg Hinnant : 07/11/2004 at 10:41 AM
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

Thanks for the info!

Has anyone researched or used Old Man Emu (OME) shocks manufactured by ARB in Australia?

Joe

Thanks for the legwork Reg! I have been keeping an eye out for your reply.

I for one really appreciate this bit of info- I'm sure it will save some headaches down the road.

-gruven-
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

There is a very good discussion on the OME models on this page.
    https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexshocks.htm
    Its for Land Rovers but the info is very comprehensive as to the types & valving.
    I have found a listing for the 89 to 92 Trooper but not newer although I suspect that they will have a listing for the later Trooper in the Nitro Charger series. Its just finding someone who has the latest listing.
    EDIT: I have a contact at ARB. He will be letting me know what they advise we use in the OME shocks, Thursday.
    Last edited by Reg Hinnant : 01/14/2004 at 04:57 PM

Originally posted by VehiX
    So would you say the remote problems are more of an installation issue or does the remote actually have a lot of problems in general?

I was under the impression from your previous posts about it that this was more of an installation issue with a loose hose or something to that effect
    More of an instillation problem, the guy who installed mine didnt know what he was doing. I will also say that rancho has GREAT customer service

adam

Rancho RS5000

I'm considering Rancho RS5000, but want to do bit more research on them. I'll post an update when I get them.
    2001 Kaiser "The Silver Shadow" VX #841

Posted new info on my shock list
    OME LTR shocks
    I am waiting on an answer but do not believe they make them in the correct length (ext x comp length x ends)
    EDIT: got the answer & added it to the above post.

Any one having more info on any brands of shocks, please post what you have.
    I just want all of us to have a very complete list for referance.
    Thanks,
    Reg Hinnant
    Last edited by Reg Hinnant : 01/16/2004 at 07:32 PM

New question...

Will the shocks listed work with the small life from calimari, or ar longer travel shocks needed?

Thumbs up

Added the length specs to the list on the model Spazz got. I believe Swordy is running the same rear shock on his lifted VX.

I purchased a set of rebuildable, remote resv, in Extra-firm, but I'm still waiting on the boots to arrive before installing.

Hey- you forgot Koni! They make shocks for the Trooper I know. A little pricey if I remember, But lifetime warranty of course. I think they listed up to '97 trooper but there were no design changes between '97 and 2002 so they should be ok I know Koni USA is located in Kentucky if that helps out. I was getting them for the Trooper and maybe as an alternative to the Stock KYB's on VX, but the old lady came home from Sears with some crappy ones. Long story... Just waiting now!

Smile

OK! Koni's included.
    I could find no extended/compressed spec's.

Just a side note if anybody needs or wants kyb monomax shocks shoot me a PM or e-mail me at sylvia240sx@hotmail.com and I will see what I can do for you. The company I work for carries them and It might take me about a week to a week and a half to get them to you but I will do my best to get you a good price.

Gabriel Experiment Results....

.... Drum roll please...... They're too dayum soft for me. The ride got too soft after break in IMO. Thought they were shot, but they're fine. They'll make your VX ride like a Caddilac. Which ain't bad, but not what I wanted. The ride is way smooth, head and internal organ banging is gone, but sports car like ride is compromised, it's a floating experience. Exceeding posted while cornering is no longer recommended, you can do it, but you'd best beware of the new "feel" first. Feels a bit tipsy, but sway bars kick in and set the VX right around. Many may love the smooth ride of the Gabriels, they are silky. But I miss the sporty handling. SO, if you like to glide in comfort and don't mind giving up sporty manuvering, go Gabriel. There may be a set available soon at a bargain price so stay tuned

Not sure what brand I'll try next, the Rancho's remind me too much of the Gabriels only with boots. Looking for shocks that can take a beating. So many choices, all looking capable.

Last edited by Navigator : 03/08/2004 at 09:35 AM
    NAVIGATOR

Thumbs up

Thanks, Navigator!
    Thats the kind of info we need to keep adding to this thread, in the search for shocks "equal to" or "better than" what came with our VX.
    After installing the Doetsch Systems shocks, I will be sending a pair of the stock shocks back to them so that they can disassemble and confirm what valving combination they came with. At least that way you can be sure you are getting a set of shocks that will be tuned in the same manner as the originals.
    I also will give updates on how they seem to hold up.
    What's everyones thoughts on shock boots?
    Run them with or without?
    (remember I'm on the Gulf coast and on shore breezes prevail. Leave anything exposed and it will be rusty within 2 days)
    Thanks!