Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Round park-n/drive-n lights

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970

Question Round park-n/drive-n lights

This may be a dumb question...however, I know some of you guys/gals have replaced the not so bright round lights up front with some bright aftermarket lights! My question is are any of you use-n the existing wire-n from the old ones for the new ones or do you have to run a new wire to the fuse box because it would over load that curcuit to use the factory wire-n? Want to change mine out because the way they are, they really don't have much of a use...M/O
    The price you pay to be different......

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Option 1- get the piaa w-2 bulbs, a direct replacement and pretty bright.

Option 2 - If you go aftermarket, consider how you'll mount the new lights. I'd recommend using one of the factory light hot wires to power the relay for the aftermkt. lights. Yes, you should run new wires from a fused battery tap to the relay for the lights.

I asked this same question. The advice I was given was if I was going to use the same headlights then I should replace the parking lights with Malibu 18 watt outdoor bulbs. You can get them at Home DePot. They are brighter than the 3 watts we have in there and they match the brightness of the stock headlights.

I did this and it worked out great.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    The piaa w2's produce a very white, slightly blue light that gives a HID appearance. I've seen a side by side comparison at the last Chi. VX meet. Omega VX had them. I was quite impressed.

I installed the W-2's with very impressive results and you can use existing wiring, and the bulbs won't melt the stock lense... By the way, its a $10 upgrade that is well worth it.

in fact, for $40 I had an awesome new look in the front with existing wiring:

Piaa 19171: replaces the horn light above the headlight (stock yellow)

Piaa 19224: replaces the fog (round) lights.

The above two installs take 10 minutes to complete

Sylvania SilverStar 9003ST replace the headlight- these take 20 minutes and require the removal of the battery and then the air intake (3 bolts) on the other side. I think it is called the intake, or filter box...

You can even replace the dome light inside your car with 19223 to have that uniform white look.... I am already getting tons of compliments, on top of what I already get, that is just nice.

Check out this post by Cyrk for more details:

If your looking for a brighter bulb you might try the piaa w2 replacment bulbs. I've posted this information is several other threads but here it is again...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sh...15&pagenumber=3

If you check out the thread above, you will find a pic I posted comparing the stock bulbs to my new ones.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIAA W2 - replaces parking lights, part number 19224
    PIAA T-6 - replaces dome light, part number 19223

PIAA reference - http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-Miniature.html
    Place I bought them - http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/piaa_bulbs.htm

My head lights are the Sylvania SilverStar's 9003ST, I ended up just buying these at the local auto parts store. They had a buy 1 get 1 at 1/2 price so I jumped at it, saved about $9.00 and didn't have to pay shipping.

Sylvania Reference - http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -The Rave-
    North Carolina

How do you do it?

I bought the W2's to replace the round (clear) lights below the headlights, but when I pulled the round light housing from the front bumper, I could not figure out how to get at the bulb?? Any hints? Or is everybody talking about different lights??

There's a wire with a black plug running into the grey housing. Just carefully pull it out of the housing and there will be your bulb. Pull out the bulb, snap the new one in. I did this same mod last weekend and it was a cinch compared to the headlights. Had no problem reaching in there from the top and getting to them (reaching up from inside the wheel well is for you sadomasochists out there). :-)

Thanks

I sorta figured that was the way but was afraid to twist too hard for fear of breaking it. Your explanation gave me enough confidence to give it a good twist, and shazam, there is the bulb. Can't wait to see the xtreme whites and silverstars together.

Thumbs up

No prob, I'm like that a lot too. It'll look like I should do something one way but I ask around first anyway to be absolutely sure. It's always good to hear from the been-there-done-that crowd before I proceed. Sorry, I forgot the part about twisting it to remove it. I was thinking it was just a straight pull. Just did this last weekend too... geez.

I did the headlights the weekend before last and had never changed a headlight like ours before where there was a retainer clip you screw down. I was used to simple twist and pull stuff like the round parking/"fog" lights you're doing today. I think I bent the clip a bit trying to remove the first one before seeing a screw there and so it was a real pain getting it back in place to screw down again. The second headlight was a snap once I knew what I was dealing with. Always best never to assume anything.

I like the Silverstars a lot but in my own opinion the PIAA W2's don't quite match them (the W2 is more blue). It isn't enough that it bothers me too much at all, but everyone is different. Looking at them shining at you is one thing (fairly white-looking), but from inside the truck it's another story... pull up close to something like your garage door or whatever and they'll look quite blue. Don't get me wrong though - I love the W2's from PIAA - big improvement! I'm in no hurry to change out my Silverstars because I just got them, they ran me $45, and they're great, but I can see someone wanting to get the PIAA headlamps to match the W2's because from in front of the vehicle the W2's look very nice. The Silverstars made those round lights look even more pathetic, and then I left one of the stock bulbs in and compared it with the W2 and it's a HUGE difference. You'd just about think you could drive around at night with just those on. :-)

Next thing may be some brighter horn lights... I love cheap mods! :-)

Silverstar info...

I have been running the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for almost two years and have been very happy with them.

I found out a couple weeks ago that Osram (Osram and Sylvania are, I guess, the same company) offers the Silverstar bulbs in Europe, and they are much brighter than the Sylvania's offered here in the US.

They are called Osram Silverstar +50, and they are supposed to be 50% brighter than (I guess) OEM bulbs. I have heard nothing but great things about them. You can find them on Ebay, of from this place...

KHY Motorsports

KHY Motorsports offers them for only $30 shipped. I have ordered a pair and will compare them to the Sylvania version as soon as they come in.

so has anybody had any problems with the PIAA w-2 19224 bulbs??? I am planning on replacing all my bulbs tommorow in the front and was waondering if I should go with the higher wattage PIAA 19224 witch are 18w or go with or just go with standard super white or plasma white PIAA 194. Any problems with the 18w?

I posted the original quoted info by NC_VX, I didn't test the 18w bulbs because everyone was talking about how previously tried larger watt bulbs were starting to melt the housings. I figured 12w was gonna be good enough and it was, they look great. Match my Piaa P-3000 perfectly and I'm very happy.

I'm not sure your gonna get much more light out of them, but if you do try the higher wattage let us know if they cause any problems.

Keep in mind the parking lights dont really put alot of light to the ground, they do put some, but not alot. They are more for people to be able to see you or those cases where your checking distance between you and a object in front of you. The 12w bulbs work perfectly for this. (ie: they are not fogs, if you want those try checking moncha's hella micro fog replacment) You wont have to worry about the lense melting or deforming and you'll get your really high 50w fogs.

Dallas4u, did you ever get to compare the two different silverstar brands? If so, what was the result? Were the osram's any brighter? I know I looked at both online and was thinking about the osram's for their additional brightness, but it just happend that I was in the auto parts store and they had a great buy 1 get 1 at 50% off sale going that saved me about $15.00 so I stuck with the silvania version.
    Last edited by omegavx : 07/12/2004 at 09:39 AM

Jay, I'll tell you the truth... not too much different. For the price I REALLY like the Sylvania Silverstars you can buy in the US. Good company, good price, great light. I can't see much difference out of the Osram version, and I had one bulb of each in at one time. I now have the Sylvania version in my wife's Rodeo. I probably wouldn't buy the Osram's again unless I couldn't find the Sylvania's for less than, say, $25 or so.

I have 18w Malibu bulbs from Home Depot in my driving (round) lights and they are fine. I have tried testing different bulbs in there and the 18 watters have always been brighter. I tried some 6-LED bulbs and they were DIM compared to the 18w bulb.

I've been running the 18w bulb for years and no melting or discoloration.

That being said, you DO need to test for a period of time to make sure a higher wattage bulb will be ok no matter WHERE you put it. I tried putting a higher wattage bulb in the horn lights and within a minute or so it started melting the bulb socket. I have the 6-LED bulbs in there now and they are bright and very cool (temp wise).

Unhappy

I was thinking of changing out the bulbs to the parking lights as well until I noticed that both lens on the factory housings were cracked, maybe from a stone or something that hit them who knows. But man, are they cheap.

So, I'm investigating alternative light fixtures to replace the entire housing. Something that is a relatively quick mod, with no change in bulb wattage yet obviously would require some degree of mounting modification since the hole that's left there is unique in shape. Maybe a Pilot type light, similiar to the kind I've seen others use but maybe with a glass lens and aluminum housing instead.

Once I figure that all out, I'll post it!

i will look through the options I have today and go from there. Maybe test out a few diff sets