Thread: Transmission swap this weekend!

Transmission swap this weekend!

Hello all and again I say Happy New Year!!

I received my new (used, 8,000mi.) transmission and will be doing the swap this weekend. It is the whole unit (Torque conv., transmission and transfer case) all still assembled. I assume that it has been drained but to what extent I don't know. It came tie wired to a pallet with wiring harness and fuel lines still attached. I was wondering if anyone had any usefull information that might help me in this process. I would have liked to have had Isuzu Vehicross service/repair manual (Bently or other) but have not aquired one as of yet. (I still have tomorrow) I am still not comfortable with my present knowlege of how to fill the transmission and or torque convertor. I did a search on the subject but didn't find anything too illuminating other than you should take it to a dealer. I have replaced transmissions before in older muscle cars, pretty staight forward stuff but never have done this type of tranny. I will be doing it in a garage with lift and access to all tools, transmission jack etc. Just not sure about the fluid issue.

Has anyone done this job before? Any advice or experience is appreciated!

Thanks, Pete
    Last edited by Pete : 01/01/2004 at 05:48 PM

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Did you try downloading Tone'Z verZion of the manual? Can you contact the source of your new trans and confirm that it, the transfer case and the convertor were drained? The capacities should be here somewhere. As long as it's out, you may want to go ahead and change the filter.

Filling of fluids in this transmission are going to be the same as your old-school trannies... and if you want to change the fluid as much as possible (and filter for that matter), drop the pan and change the filter. Remove the torque convertor and dump as much fluid out as possible. Then its a messy refill for part of it... dump tranny fluid into the covertor the best you can... then slip the covertor back into place making sure you rotate the covertor while sliding it in so as to make sure to pick up ALL sets of splines... the transmissions I have done have three sets of splines to pick up... but not sure with ours... just make sure that the TC slides in enough that when you mate the transmission to motor, the convetor should still spin easily by hand... if its pinched to the flex plate, you don't have all splines lined up. Then once you get the install done, start the motor and fill the fluid through the dipstick tube... this is also sometimes messy... make sure you have a small funnel and do the fluid fill while transmission is warm-hot and while running. Again... same-same as your old school trans...

TTYL!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!)

My 2000 Ironman VX!... Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18's on stock 18" rims, Power Vault Muffler, Tone Monday's custom tow package, OME 912 Springs, custom audio/video/multimedia computer system in the works! Transformation to LS1 V-8 Power as we speak!
    My Webshots Gallery...

coachreed there is no dipstick tube.
    you remove the fill screw on the pan and fill until fluid overflows . let vehicle idle until fluid comes up to temp. fill until fluid overflows. it does not say in the manual to shift trans but i have always done this to make sure fluid is at correct level. if i were you i would take it to have the tranny fluid changed after install. take it to a place that has the machine to remove all the old fluid and replace with new. otherwise you will never get all the old fluid out. shawn
    1COOLVX

From the VX service manual

MY99 VehiCROSS Service Manual 7A-9

Checking Transmission Fluid Level and Condition
    Checking fluid level and condition (color and odor) at regular intervals will provide early diagnosis information
    about the transmission. This information may be used to correct a condition that, if not detected early, could result
    in major transmission repairs.

IMPORTANT: When new, automatic transmission fluid is red in color. As the vehicle is driven, the
    transmission fluid will begin to look darker in color. The color may eventually appear light brown.

A dark brown color with burnt odor may indicate excessive fluid deterioration and signal a need for fluid change.

Fluid Level
    When adding or changing fluid, use only DEXRON ฎ—lli.

Refer to Maintenance and Lubrication in General Information section for maintenance information and servicing

interval.

CAUTION! DO NOT OVERFILL.
    Overtilling will cause foaming, loss of fluid, abnormal shifting and possible damage to the transmission.
    1. Park the vehicle on level ground and apply the parking brake firmly.

2. Check fluid level with engine running at idle.

Notice: Be sure that transmission fluid temperature is below 30” C (86” F).

3. Move the selector lever through all gear ranges.

4. Move the selector lever to “Park’.

5. Let engine idle for 3 minutes and open the overfill screw (1).

6. Add released transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening.

7. Let engine idle until a fluid temperature between 32”C (90”F) and 57”C (1 35”F) is reached, then close
    the overfill screw (1).

Torque: 38 N.m (28 lb ft)
    Notice: To prevent fluid leaks, the overfill screw and oil drain screws gasket must be replaced each time
    these screws are removed.

Notice: Check transmission fluid temperature with scan tool.

Minimum fluid level —* 57”C (135” F)
    Maximum fluid level —~ 32”C (90”F)

CAUTION! Do not open overfill screw with engine stopped.
    CAUTION! DO NOT CHECK FLUID LEVEL UNDER THESE CONDITIONS:
    • Immediately after driving at sustained highway speeds.

• In heavy city traffic during hot weather.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Thanks all!!!

I really appreciate the replies. Your input was very helpful! I'm headed over to the garage to get started. I picked up all new exhaust and drain plug gaskets at Isuzu dealer yesterday. I also got some manifold studs and nuts just in case. $93.22 total, do you believe it?! Not that I'm complaining. It's a drop in the bucket compared to what I would pay a dealer to do this job!!

Anyway, I'll bring the camera and take some shots. I'm pretty excited!! I bought my VX with bad tranny so I have never driven one that drives properly. I have no 1st and 2nd gear but every thing else works fine so I have been able to drive it in winter mode. It handles awesome!!! Having owned several BMW's I am into and appreciate good handling vehicles.

Can't wait to feel the pick up!!

Well, gotta go, I'll keep you posted on the progress. I hope to finish today barring any complications. Thanks again for your help!!

Pete

Originally posted by psychos2
    coachreed there is no dipstick tube.
    DOH! Don't I feel silly! lol I have never noticed that there was no dipstick... and I have NEVER seen an auto tranny without one! How crazy is that?! How are you EVER supposed to check your fluid level?! Geesh! Thanks for the correction!

Coach!

Originally posted by coachreed
    How are you EVER supposed to check your fluid level?!
    I know, it sucks. The only way I can think is to unscrew the overflow bolt and see if any runs out (while the VX is started, of course).

I changed all my fluids a couple months ago, and didn't put enough in the tranny. I noticed a little rough gear changes... even feeling like there was some grinding/scraping going on. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I checked, and nothing was coming out of the overflow while started. I pumped up a full quart of tranny fluid before it started running out.

I IMMEDIATELY felt the difference... so much smoother and more fluid feeling!!!

Hi All!
    Well, I got my new transmission in and it works perfectly!!!!!!!
    I am so excited and happy I can't tell you! Everything went very smoothly other than it took twice as long as I thought it would. (two days) You have to take out a lot of parts to get it out easily. I got tech. info at "Alldata" and took out passenger side exhaust and torsion bar even though they did not say to. It made it much easier to get to fluid lines and gas lines.
    Got it all back together and filled with fluid (cold and not running). Brought it down, wheels just off the floor, reconnected battery and started her up. Brought up to temp and went through gears. Had reverse and that was all. I'm thinking all the negative thoughts you can imagine! The mechanic friend of mine who was helping me says"don't get nervous" its just needs more fluid. So back up she went. We left it running in park. We pumped about 6 more qts. in untill it started to run out. Brought it back down, wheels off floor, and went through gears again. This time we had them all!!! WHEW! I took her for a test ride and everything was perfect!! I was on cloud nine! (still am)

SHE RUNS AWESOME!! very quick, shifts smooth and downshifts great when punched. I LOVE IT!

I took some pics when I got there and as I was taking apart. I didn't bother when I was putting back together would just look the same. I don't know how to post pics here so I will post in my gallery.

Thanks again everyone for your help !! Talk to soon ,Pete
    Last edited by Pete : 01/06/2004 at 10:11 PM

Glad to hear it man. Well done.

-Daver
    -Daver