Can someone explain to me where my wires got crossed here? Yesterday I was on my way home from a doctor's appointment and called my NT partner. Told him I needed to stop and get gas on my way home and that I was going to get a coffee for myself. Asked “Do you want anything?”, he says “No, I’ll just see you when you get home”

Well, I get home, he sees the coffee in my hand and pouts zong internet packages. Says “oh? You didn’t get anything for me?” I replied telling him that when I asked he said no. So then he tells me that he always gets me something when he goes through a stand and that he wanted to be surprised.

I am SO confused about where I went wrong here. Can someone help me understand where I missed something in our communication?

EDIT: thank you all so much for the thoughtful responses! I want to clarify that I don’t think my partner was being intentionally manipulative, he’s a delightful human who just has a hard time asking directly what he wants. We had a great talk and discussed expectations of random gift giving in the future. Being an autistic woman, I know that sometimes I miss things in communication so being able to unpack this with you all (and with him) was immensely helpful.