Thread: Is my '99 Ebony still worth it?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is my '99 Ebony still worth it?

Hi, I've had my VX for about 2 years, purchased on Craigslist. It drove well and got the approval of my parents to buy. Months later, the transmission decided to start act up, leading to a total overhaul. So far, this is all I've invested (excluding the many quarts of oil and other fluids), which is currently at about $6200. I'm 19 years old, heading for college, and I don't know what to do with the car. I love her dearly, but all she does is give me problems. Here's a list of current grievances:

- My mysterious battery-draining electrical system (Even with a new battery, it only lasts about a week. Alternator works and no lights are on. No idea what could be doing this)
    - Power steering leaks (replaced hose, but still leaks)
    - Washer fluid leaks
    - Blower stopped (just happened yesterday!)
    - Door/window seals are poor & let moisture in
    - Window rails are broken (one of the looked removed???)
    - Cassette deck doesn't work (I collect them, OK?)
    - General cosmetics (worn leather, speckled paint, cheaply tinted windows, chrome is half gone on the wheels and all the cladding has turned chalky? I think the previous owner mistreated it)
    - General old car things (burns oil, 12 MPG, few parts, bad tires)
    - And probably much more in the future!

My parents, happy for me two years ago to find a 4WD car that wasn't a Subaru or CR-V, are now recommending me Mitsubishi Mirages and other dinky econoboxes. I've been forced to face the music on whether or not I should keep this. Should I change to X-Terra, some high mileage recent car, or even another Isuzu? Or should I keep the car I love to drive, that I've been told is a rattletrap AND a money pit. I'm not flush with cash, but I hope a new job will fix that. Should I continue with the VX life that I've known so long, or should I sell the 118,XXX beauty, knowing I'll never see one again? Is what I love a waste of time and money?
    Last edited by 11justsomekid : 02/09/2020 at 09:59 AM