Thread: I still have my VX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I still have my VX

Hi Everyone,

I'm still driving my VX with 188 K on the clock. Does anyone still lurk here? Just curious. I think everyone went over to Facebook? That's something I don't do. But I still wheel my VX , at least in the winter months. I do Porsche other times. Let me know if anything is going on? Thanks.

I traded in my VX three years ago, but I still come here regularly. I was hoping to see the new owner of my VX join here, but it never happened.

I recently joined the Facebook page only to monitor for owners looking for parts I have sitting on the shelf in my garage. So far nobody needing anything I have.

Hoping to read of someone fully restoring their VX and in need of a original catback exhaust. I replaced mine with a PV2 six months after new, so that stock piece is like new.

The Facebook page is usually very busy, but they are referred here for reference searches.

Not much activity here, but some of us old timers still check in regularly.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I'm a regular still...the Dragon I had in CO was totaled (but bought at salvage and is back on the road with another owner) and I have a Proton now. Tried an Xterra for a while but just had to have another VX. Some of the old timers still stop by once in a while. Gregg what else you got beside the exhaust?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Gregg what else you got beside the exhaust?
    I know I have a front bumper cover, damaged when I tried to push a Dodge truck's tow hitch through his frame (didn't work).

I have at least one good NAPA EGR valve (I went through three under warranty before buying an AC Delco part off eBay.)

A week old serpentine belt tensioner and idler wheel set from Autozone. I bought genuine Isuzu parts the same day, and swapped them when they arrived from Japan.

Also, a couple M1-104 Mobil1 oil filters. I used to have a K&N air filter, but I think I threw it away last summer when I did a garage cleanup. I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

Tom (Tom4Bren) promised to come by and take this off my hands several years ago, but he never got back to me. Tom? You still out there?

I still check in occasionally. Just in case there is someone with a problem that I can comment on.
    My 22 year old VX is looking a bit run down and neglected now that I have a 5th wheeler caravan and ute to tow it around.
    Still have plans to do a rebuild and tidy up, but no time at the moment.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

PK, sounds like life down under is treating you well. Hope the fires have left you alone.

My wife's sister and her family are in Bright and were evacuated twice from their home. Sounds like things have calmed down a bit and all is safe in their area again.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Mark, I hope your sister and family escaped all the damage. Being evacuated is bad enough, but to loose everything is devastating.
    No fires near us, but my then home was burnt down in our 1967 bush fires.

Regards
    Peter

Still around and still check in every now and then. There isn't too much activity on the info site anymore except for us "old timers", but newbies occasionally show up if they are directed here from the FB group. Still lots of good knowledge buried in the posts. Just need to have the history with the site to remember that the info is there and how to get to it.

Gregg, I would be interested in the exhaust system you have. VX was throwing codes a few years ago related to the cats and I replaced the cat's with some aftermarket ones and it is still throwing the same codes. Would be nice to replace the whole system with stock parts.

Vicki has been laid up in the garage for the past few years while I took the interior out, to get the roof rails off, to have the rust under the front ends of the rails repaired and the roof repainted. Repainting is complete and now it's time to put her back together, but my three year old daughter takes up all of the time that I used to spend on the VX so reassembly has been SLOW.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Gregg, I would be interested in the exhaust system you have. VX was throwing codes a few years ago related to the cats and I replaced the cat's with some aftermarket ones and it is still throwing the same codes. Would be nice to replace the whole system with stock parts.
    I only have the cat-back part, not the cats themselves.

VX Cat-back.jpg

Peter,
    Everyone is safe now and homes are untouched.
    Sounds like many people and animals weren't so lucky though. Very sad.

Gotcha. Still might be interested. I have a spare stock muffler, but it was cut out and would need to be welded in, or have a new flange welded on. Would be nice to have a spare muffler that could be bolted in.
    My muffler is still holding strong, but it has been on the car for 160,000+ miles.

I really would like to see it go on a an actual "full restoration project" (like that IronMan recently posted on the Facebook group) as it only needs a little cleanup to look factory fresh. Plus, it will be a bit pricey.

Always lurking, didn't go to the FB group, either *lol*.
    www.thefundamentalelements.com

Just an update... ALL of my spare parts went to a South Carolina VX owner EXCEPT for the cat back. This is still reserved for a restorer.
    Last edited by Cobrajet : 03/17/2020 at 05:49 AM

Late seeing this, but still on the road.