Thread: Tranny blood woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wrench Tranny blood woes

Been a long while since my VX had had any issues. Probably also due to the fact that she only gets out maybe once a month now heh. For the last few weeks she's been in the garage napping on a trickle charger. I look beneath to find she had wet the bed in her slumber. Without crawling under to investigate thoroughly, the location appears to be above a center crossmember right around where the U-Joint marrys up to the tranny. Fits guess is possible bad U-joint seal (original), which isnt the end of the world. Second guess is... well, I dont have one, until I actually get up under there heh.
    Last edited by WormGod : 01/02/2019 at 10:58 AM
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Just her way of saying Happy New Year...I need some Love.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

My elderly Torino has been incontinent for decades. I tried to get her fixed last century, but gave up. I put a big diaper under her, and keep an eye on fluid levels, and talk to her occasionally. Have fun.

PS - I still have some VX parts in my attic, including a COMPLETE ORIGINAL CAT-BACK EXHAUST, with only a few thousand miles on it, in case you ever need it.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Yeah, she is highly overdue for love. I moved early this year and have been super busy with selling the other house, settling in/fixing up the new one, and shipping this controversial game, heh. Hopefully there is something in my cards granting me some grace to do the things I have been neglecting.

Cobra, no !@#$? An OEM CB? I would totally take you up on that if I weren't already planning on an updated dual exhaust. Hell, if that changes, I'll hit you up. The mid atlantic is not friendly with exhausts so I am getting a new one about every 4-5 years heh.

Tom (aka Tom4Bren) was supposed to come by a couple years ago to give me an offer on all my remaining parts, but he never got back to me. Only thing I sold were my winter wheels/tires. I've got shocks (good/bad OEM and good Ranchos), belt tensioner, EGR valves, oil filters, and even a slightly damaged front bumper cover (would make a great start for anyone wanting to install a winch on the front... maybe)

The cat back is like new. Pulled it off shortly after I got my VX to install the rare PowerVault II cat back. Debated whether to keep the PV2 or the OEM, but actually never had time to swap them when I sold my VX.

Anyway, these parts are probably not going anywhere soon, and neither am I. I check the forums every few days to see if anybody is looking for anything I may have left. Just leave me a PM.

Gregg

Yeah, I still have the original PowerVault on my VX. Ah, to be able to get my hands on a brand new one.... hidden in someone's barn. ( I KNOW TONE HAS A HIDDEN TREASURE TROVE SOMEWHERE )

Your parts depot sounds like mine. My old lady hates it. She could get her car in the garage, were I not using it to house a ton of VX and Subaru parts. At least it is all well stored and inventoried, heh.

Finally crawled up under there. Not tranny blood at all. As a matter of fact, it was gone, so whatever it was, it evaporated. Now considering it has been in the garage for about 3 weeks without moving, I'm pretty clueless as to what it was. I did find a tiny spot of radiator blood further up away from that spot, but that is nothing new on my VX, heh. Supercharger TB lines like to bleed every now and then. Checked all fluids and nada, nil, nothing looked low. Now I'm really baffled. Perhaps a garage rat decided that was a great place to piss.... *shrug*

In any case, my battery is toast. My trickle charger didnt appear to keep her juiced and even my portable jumper didn't turn her over. Hell, I swear I go through a battery every 2 years simply by not using them enough, heh. My old lady always has a good argument when this happens as to why I should sell her. She says it's a weight that simply holds the garage down.

I went through a few batteries in my Mustang using a Battery Tender. I think it overcharged and boiled the water out of the battery. I moved to a different brand (Battery Minder) and have not had an issue. I also keep an eye on water level. The ultimate solution though, if you haven't done so already, is to switch the a sealed AGM battery and not worry about water. I have yet to find an AGM battery for my Mustang THAT I LIKE (meaning NO green, blue, red or round celled batteries.)

As for the mystery fluid under your car... I had a similar incidence with my Torino. Strange rusty looking water patches under the right rocker panel. Nowhere near any water lines. Not 100% sure, but believe it was spilled radiator coolant that leaked out or fell out while changing the radiator, then soaked into the concrete, and bled back up when time/temperature/underground water forced it back up. I laid a mirror over the wet patch to catch any drips to see where it was coming from, but later found the liquid UNDER the mirror. It actually ate the silver finish off of the mirror glass. It finally went away and has not returned.