Thread: VX Lower Intake

VX Lower Intake

If anybody can help me with this, I'd appreciate it.

Several weeks back I noticed my VX was making a sound that I thought was a bearing issue; I ended up replacing the bearing on my idler pulley, and put a new tensioner pulley on - to no avail. The "squeak" or "whine" was still there. Since at the time of trying to isolate that, I noticed I needed some tie rod ends, and my power-steering pump needed replacement (something I knew about; it's been seeping for a while now) - I decided to take it into my mechanic.

Their tech looked at it, and diagnosed it as being a likely cracked lower intake. Trouble is, they've called around to various places (and they also have a call into Isuzu apparently - but haven't heard anything back) - and everyone is saying it's virtually unobtanium.

Is this true? Does the part exist anywhere, or can something else be used (that is - maybe the Trooper 3.2L engine? Or is that just as unavailable...)?

My mechanic is contemplating sending the original out to a machine shop they use to see if it's repairable (TIG? I dunno...) - I'm not outta hope yet; it's early in the process.

If anybody can give me some advice, assistance, or if they have a good spare they'd be willing to sell me...? Well - again, anything would be appreciated, even if it's to say I'm SOL.

Thanks everyone!

Has your mechanic actually dismantled this and found the fault??
    Air intake manifold gaskets are a known problem with these engines, and a cracked gasket could make a whistling type noise as air is sucked in through the crack. They also normally cause high idle issues. Until this fault is properly diagnosed, there is no way I would be chasing a new intake.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Has your mechanic actually dismantled this and found the fault??
    Air intake manifold gaskets are a known problem with these engines, and a cracked gasket could make a whistling type noise as air is sucked in through the crack. They also normally cause high idle issues. Until this fault is properly diagnosed, there is no way I would be chasing a new intake.
    That's a good point; I honestly don't know if it's been dismantled or if they are trying to find a replacement before tearing into it. I'll ask about it, and let them know what you've mentioned. Thanks for the info!