Thread: Many Questions! AC Compressor, Clips, Tire Cover Knobs, Speaker Sizes and more; help?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Many Questions! AC Compressor, Clips, Tire Cover Knobs, Speaker Sizes and more; help?

Hey guys! First off, excuse my screen name, I really wish I could change it. Wasn't sure what I was thinking many years ago when I created the account.

(1) Recently(about a month ago), my AC Compressor started acting up. On a cold start, it would work fine. But after about 15-30 minutes of driving it cuts off and doesn't come back on unless I turn it off for about 15 to 20 minutes. Once that amount of time passes, it begins to work again. We've emptied the Freon, replaced the blower. We've even tried taking the compressor's clutch off but failed, we're not sure if we might be doing something wrong but that thing doesn't want to come off. We took the bolt off the middle, put a clutch remover tool and started trying to pull off the clutch. We ended up stripping the bolt we used to push out the clutch. We're a bit in need as the weather here in south Texas has been in the 3 digits for a long while. Note: I'd like to mention the AC does make a whirring sound in the middle of accelerating and decelerating at low speeds and only in those moments when the RPM's are dropping and rising not when it's steady.

(2) Where can we find those clips that belong on the side-walls in the back seat? We removed the walls to change out the speakers and most of them broke off. Is there a remedy for this or somewhere we could find replacement clips? Otherwise, it might be easier/cheaper to drill holes through the plastic and use caps to cover the holes.

(3) Speaking of speakers, what size speakers does this car take? My sister installed some speakers in the back and looks like there is this baffle under the speaker to, what it seems like, install a bigger speaker.

(4) The 4 knobs that clip on the back tire cover panel, a couple of them broke. Is there a remedy for this or somewhere we could find replacement knobs?

(5) When we tried changing out the head unit receiver, we discovered someone chopped off the original adapter on the car and crimped the receiver's adapter. Anyone know where we might be able to find a spare?

(6) Suspension, I read here that it's possible to recharge your shocks(or struts? not too savvy on this), only if they aren't leaking oil. I haven't noticed any oil splatter or evidence of leaking oil. How would we go about getting them recharged or sending them to get serviced? Or otherwise, does anyone recommend any that are near OEM or OEM specs?

I really appreciate y'alls input and advice. Looking forward to what I can discover.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    1) - Can't help you, sorry

2) - most auto parts stores have a section for specialty items like these plastic panel clips.

3) - OEM speakers are 4 1/2" round. You can modify the brackets to take something larger if needed but it's a pain.

4) - OEM knobs are available from isuzuparts.com or there are usually some on Ebay. Hit the Facebook group and look for Dan Danlister. He has a business of parting out VX's.

5) - Dan Danlister on the VehiCROSS Facebook page.

6) - These can be rebuilt at most shops that do custom BMX suspensions. If you can't find someone local then there is a place in CO and one in CA that you can ship to.

Hope this is helpful. Welcome to the addiction!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    1) - Can't help you, sorry

2) - most auto parts stores have a section for specialty items like these plastic panel clips.

3) - OEM speakers are 4 1/2" round. You can modify the brackets to take something larger if needed but it's a pain.

4) - OEM knobs are available from isuzuparts.com or there are usually some on Ebay. Hit the Facebook group and look for Dan Danlister. He has a business of parting out VX's.

5) - Dan Danlister on the VehiCROSS Facebook page.

6) - These can be rebuilt at most shops that do custom BMX suspensions. If you can't find someone local then there is a place in CO and one in CA that you can ship to.

Hope this is helpful. Welcome to the addiction!
    I really appreciate your swift reply!
    (1) It's a bummer on the AC compressor. I'm half way thinking of just completely replacing all the AC components.
    (2) I have searched so many auto-parts store and some clips that look promising, fail.
    (3) Thanks for the speaker sizes, I think the front ones are 6.5. The rear ones, now I know, are 4.5. Much appreciated!
    (4) & (5) Just submitted the request for invite.
    (6) I've seen a rather large truck-mods(lifting being the popular one) establishment nearby, i'll definitely hit them up.

So for now, most of them I have an Idea of where to go. I'm down to the AC compressor and the panel clips.

Oh! I almost forgot, the factory alarm. The car has never had it since we got it. I think it was impounded for illegal modifications. When we got the VX we noticed it had radar detectors installed and the wiring was all cut to disable it. Is there a way to get an OEM alarm with the clicker as well?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Not sure on the alarm. You can find used key fobs on Ebay or Dan may have some. The OEM system may still be there and if you use the search function here using the key word reset you should find a few threads on that subject.

You can get the clips from isuzuparts.com as well but you won't have them anytime soon. Check with Dan on those too.

-Just make a new account unless you feel married to this one

-Ebay for the panel clips/pushpins. Auto stores don't carry the exact model--at least not in my area. Plus you can get a bushel for a dollar online.

-Stock rears are 4", not 4.5"--even Crutchfield confirms this. You can POSSIBLY put as large as a 6x9 in there. I don't know, I haven't tried. I DID put 6.75" in there within the past month. Depth is the big issue and I got creative to work around that. (I posted my tidbits in the rear speaker install thread so more people could find it). If I were you, I'd try measuring a 6x9 template over the mount bracket and see if you could get them to fit. You'd need only ~1.5" in length beyond what I needed for mine--and that may be feasible. But I haven't measured. If you do go with 6x9's...please post in that same thread so we can keep the info co-located. I'm interested in your results. Doors seem to be 6.5" stock. I had aftermarket in mine. They're now 6.75" to match the rears. If you're wanting a good set cheap, pm me. I would have kept them if I'd known they were already replaced...but I had 2 sets of 6.75" pioneers I'd already ordered, so I just replaced them.

-I haven't seen anything about part-out VX threads on here in ages. Everyone has the Facebook derp.

-It would be a COLOSSAL pain to replace the factory harness and involve a lot of work. This is why I keep telling everyone that if they are going to go aftermarket, to use a loom and don't cut wires. But since yours are already cut, consider splicing some connectors onto the loose ends--that way you can at least have a semi-plug/play connection for aftermarket.

-There was a rebuilt selling on here not that long ago. The leaking thing has to do with the integrity of the shock/seals. Diffusion happens naturally over time, but if there's a leak, that is virtually impossible to fix.

---
    I STILL can't seem to fully eliminate the funky odor from my AC. Humidity in GA here doesn't help. I haven't ripped into the A/C system myself, so I have little knowledge of it. Mine works...barely. Needs to be much colder though. Probably a recharge, but IDK how much that would cost--including if I have to retrofit to newer freon standard.

Alarm? Good luck. I haven't the foggiest. There's always aftermarket though. Could even toss in a remote start if you were inclined.