Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting really frustrated with the VX FB page...

Getting really frustrated with the VX FB page...

Ok, so I know that maybe 5 or 6 people will even see this, but here goes anyway.

I generally post both here and on the FB page updates to my build/repairs. It seems every time I post I fixed something, someone has to comment “pull the dash light”. Every time I post I have a light (like ABS or CEL), the first or second response is, “pull the dash light”. I even read a thread a while back that someone had pulled so many dash lights to cover up problems, that the lack of lights was freaking out the ECU and causing even more problems.

What the $%!^? Do VX owners really not care about their VX’s? Do they not want things fixed properly? Seriously. It happens every single time I post I fixed something. Someone will post some “hack job” way to cover up the problem, or to modify the VX as a “fix”, even cut massive holes in the VX just to make something “easier” for a fix that should only need to be done once.

I had an issue chasing down my EGR codes. I replaced and cleaned the EGR valve several times (3 valves in total, 1 used, 1 new but cheap, 1 OEM and cost quite a bit more). I finally got it fixed by spending the money on the correct parts. The FB response? Pull the CEL and check the codes every couple of weeks.

Recently I posted that I ordered a new window regulator. Not cheap, but it was the right way to fix it. I was thrown all kinds of “alternate” solutions. I explained in the post that my cables on regulator had rusted. Then I got inundated with posts about drilling holes for roller bearings. One person said to replace the plastic window clips with a metal bar. That would be good advice, if my clips where bad. They are not bad. In fact they are in great shape. The problem was that the cable on my regulator had gone bad. That is exactly what I said was the problem. I thought I was very clear. But no, I got six different way to do everything but actually fix the problem.

More recently (today in fact), I posted that I got a new ABS control module installed and that it was working perfectly. I even saved some money and shared how other could do it too. The response? ABS is DANGEROUS. Yes they actually used all caps. They suggested I pull the light and disable ABS completely just incase I find myself going downhill too fast while off-road. I suppose that would be good advice, if you have no idea how to drive off-road properly. However, it is also terrible advice in every single others situation that doesn’t involve being off-road.

It is maddening.

Sorry, I needed to vent...
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Thelgord, as an owner of a VX for near 20 years now..... many of us vets have found that sometimes, these "hacks" are the best remedies. You will get used to it and learn to save $$ in the process (especially when you realize the $$ you spent on a fix is going to fail again anyways, heh).

It's FB.... if you go through a day without getting triggered about something on there, you probably weren't looking at FB.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WormGod For This Useful Post:

Nikad92397 (06/02/2018)

Maybe the “vets” have been in game too long. Complacency is a terrible thing, and they have been doing it long enough to just throw their hands up. I get it. I really do. I am all about saving money. I even like it when something makes a job easier. But once you start down that path it becomes easier to make those decision, even when it really isn’t the best solution, just the most convenient.

As example, I was having some fuel pressure issues. A simple change of the inline filter was all it needed. I had people telling me to cut a hole in the floor to change the fuel pump for the sole reason it was easier than doing it correctly. I have seen this mod done, a lot, and it is completely unnecessary. If the original lasted 150,00+ Miles, there is no reason to think a new replacement won’t last at least as long. That means you will probably only need to that job once. Why on earth would hack the floor open, opening it up to all kinds rust, water intrusion, and god knows what else? To save a few hours of labor? Heck you might even save a whole day (some of these bolts do NOT like to move).

After purchasing a VX, from someone who apparently agreed with that type of work, I have seen first hand what that leads to. I have spent countless hours, even days, undoing the shotty “fixes” and “mods” of the previous owner. I have removed more useless wiring than I can keep track of, and I still have some running around the VX that I have no idea where it goes after it disappears behind a wall. I have had to replace dummied components and parts. I’ll start one job, only to find something else that was done badly once I get into where I am working. I even had to remove a trash bag and two grocery sacks from inside the passenger door that were apparently an attempt to water proof the window motor and regulator, but ended up getting bound up in all the moving parts. Why where they there? Because the outside window trim was replaced with a piece of foam. Had he replaced the trim, correctly, when it went missing I may not have needed to spend the $140 on a regulator or buy a new window motor. So now I have had to spend the money. 140 for the regulator, another 70 for the trim piece, I don’t recall how much the clips and the window motor cost. All of this just so I can actually use my passenger window.

Yes, when you fix something correctly, it costs money. If your “fix” opens your vehicle to future, and even preventable costs, spend the money up front.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Thelgord For This Useful Post:

ipd (06/03/2018)

It might be best to not post your every move of what you feel is the best way to work on a VX. It sure seems you post a problem only to hear others and then post what you feel is the correct way.. Cutting a opening does NOT Open the can of worms you speak of if done correctly. You can replace your fuel hoses, look for a leak, replace the pump filter. You say those things last 15 years.. Soooooooo not true ! Maybe some parts may have on your VX and that for sure doesn't mean all of them.. That "Gapping Hole" as you put it, has been around for 15 years by itself, you talk about pulling the tank but YOU HAVE NOT DONE IT !!! Window fixes have been around since they rolled off the assembly line, sounds like all you needed was a regulator and that what everyone needs to do it correctly. As far as the check engine light pulling the bulb may work for the few that don't do a smog or any type of inspection but for the other 90% that doesn't work at all. They go after the problem and fix it. Your Fuel pressure problem.. people answer what worked for them.. NOT a one fix for all. ABS is junk on a VX. They were junk the day they rolled off the line also. Off road it's plain Dangerous!! ABS has come along ways in 20 years but it started at the bottom. I remember when you got your VX and posted a list of the things you were going to do to get it back up and into shape, along with a list of your buget to do so. You felt at that point THAT was correct. I giggled. How has that worked out ? I feel 75% of the people on FB have been on this page longer. The best way to avoid all the answers you will get when you ask is just to search here on this page. All the answers are here. Most click here and FB. Why post here then on FB,Twitter and gosh knows where else.. The same thing..

And that was me who said VX ABS while 4x4ing is DANGEROUS!! Find another who actually 4x4's to contradict that !!! Once again I said 4x4ing.. and to insult me saying I don't drive and 4x4 properly/ correctly is just plain rude !!

Seemed to have touched a nerve. And I will post all of my repairs, that are actually done correctly, as I see fit. Thank you for input.

If you want to insult me and others over what you feel is correct. Then expect to be insulted by me and others. After googling your page name I can see you post over 30+ sites your every move, over and over..This is far from the 1st time this has happened to you.. Your idea of "repairs done correctly" is far from correct auto care and safety. It appears that perhaps you have an overly zealous need for social media confirmation. Please explain how you can say you had lost control on a down hill 4x4ing in a new Tacoma, with ABS, WITH KIDS IN IT and it scared the hell out of you but when others tell of their story they don't drive correctly.. That pretty much says it all..

And your welcome for my input.. more to come.

30+ sites? Please list them. This is the only Isuzu site I go to other the FB. Unless you are internet stalking me. But then again that’s the kind of thing you do. Because you are a horrible person.

When did I say kids were in the Tacoma? My only son is grown. You are miss quoting me. Because you are a horrible person.

More to come? Of course there is. Because you have to work so very hard to prove how right you just have to be in all things that your ego won’t let you not get the last word. It is impossible for you you need to win this. No matter what a horrible person it shows you to be.
    Last edited by Thelgord : 06/01/2018 at 02:21 PM

Excuse me.. You were the one that started this by calling me and others names !!! AND YOU HAVN'T STOPPED !! NOW YOU ARE STATING I AM A HORRIBLE PERSON, STALKER, ?? You said.. xxxxxxx I am not new off-road, and I have experienced that before. Once I a new Tacoma with all kids of wiz-bang traction control and ABS. Scares the hell out of you. I get it. But to disable ABS completely for the 10% of the time your actually off-road is even more dangerous .xxxxxx. It's hard to understand you with all your misspellings/ very bad grammar, Name calling will only get you booted from sites... which now I will inform..
    Last edited by Nikad92397 : 06/03/2018 at 08:15 PM

Staking because I wondered what your screen name meant ? Oh boy..

Keep it up on both sides and we'll be see the first ban in a while. No reason to get snicky. Shake and make up, don't like the FB stress here.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moncha For This Useful Post:

bartmanS4 (06/12/2018), Nikad92397 (06/01/2018), Thelgord (06/01/2018)

Sorry I have to say this for safety reasons. It is stated above he purchased/installed a "new ABS module", posted a cheaper way to purchase the same part. This VERY MISLEADING! They are $280.00 or around that NEW ! His post & link was to buy a used one. I personally would never install a used electrical part that controls braking. 1. If you what to do it correctly buy a new one. 2. Get it rebuilt for $99.00 with a lifetime warranty. 3. If you are too cheap, lazy to do research, or could care less about safety to save a few pennies. Buy a used one that are known to fail continuously on a VX. Here is the link to have yours rebuilt with better parts. They even have a core program to avoid down time.. https://www.shop.modulerepairpro.com...2000_c1763.htm