Thread: 11 Month update

11 Month update

It has now been 11 months since I purchased my VX. I love this little things (obligatory plug for build thread)

As a note, I sold a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road (fully loaded) to pay for this project. My wife was less than happy about it, but here we are.

So far, I have spent just about $7,000 (including purchase) getting this VX running. Even with adding the cost of insurance I am not doing bad. In fact, if you count the payments for the Tacoma, the insurance, and the $700 service that was coming due when I sold it, and the rest, I have past the break even point as of this month by $320.18. (Don’t worry about the financial details, just the totals).

Now that Izzy is running well, my saving will increase around $400 / month, if I keep fixing the little things durring the next few months that is. More if I stop fixing stuff. Less if I need to fix something major.

The point is, my project has worked, for now anyway. I wanted to build a budget overland vehicle. Now that the major work is done (I should have my new window regulator next week), I can start using it as it was intended to be used. Going off-road. Going on adventures. Having fun (well, really I have already been having fun with it).

The point is, for the cost of 11 months of payments for a brand new truck, I have a fun, capable offroad vehicle that (so far) is proving to be more resilient than I had initially expected a 19 year old to be. This time though, I even have a winch.

I doubt that it will ever be as reliable as a new Toyota, but it is reliable in that I know what I can do, and what I shouldn’t do with it.

I have an upcoming road trip (not in the VX) and some other items on my agenda over the next couple of months, so spending on Izzy will decrease durring this time significantly. I have kept a tight reign on the budget for this project. That’s part of the reason it has taken so long, but it has also kept me from over spending.

Around August(ish) I should have built up around another $1000 for the build-out into an overlanding rig, assuming the road trip doesn’t go over budget, and no major home or auto repairs come up. After that I should be able to add around $300-400 / month for upgrades, repairs, services, and of course, adventure travel. Timing is actually good even though my budget for travel will be coming into the winter. This will allow me to sock away money for a fairly large trip. That is, if the Army doesn’t make move again during this time.

Overall, I would give this project a solid B+. I could have probably saved around $1000 by just buying a good running VX for around $6k (they are out there). However, by buying a broken VX, I have learned this vehicle inside and out. I know every nut and bolt in this vehicle (almost anyway).

Has been worth it? Yes.

Has it been financially viable? For now yes, baring anything major breaking.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Congrats!! I'm so happy that you brought a doomed VX back from the edge. Doing that kind of work to your own vehicle is incredibly educational, satisfying and frustrating all at once.

Keep up the good work and keep updating the build thread (are you going to start a VX adventure thread?). Can't wait to see you "Go Farther".

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/557...go-tagline.jpg
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MSHardeman For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (06/01/2018)

That’s an AMAZING IDEA! I may just have to do that it would make it easier if the threads are separate... I have some planning to do! Thanks again!

As I think about this, and getting ready to start taking this VX really off-road, I realize I still two items to finish. 1) I really need to change the diff fluid. And 2) I would like to change the universal joints. I have taken the VX on exactly 1 trail. It did very well, but it was an easy trail. I don’t want to get real deep into the wilderness until I am confident it will make it back.

I am also setting up camera equipment mounts. Having a trip thread is boring without pics.