Thread: Tod Check Light Help!!!

Unhappy Tod Check Light Help!!!

Ok, I've already done an extensive search on this forum, VMag, and talked to a couple of Isuzu service techs about the subject.

Here's my story. I was driving home last night on the fwy from work when I noticed the TOD red "CHECK" light blinking. I said WTF! I was already about 1/2 way home from an hour and 45 min drive one way in stop and go traffic! Since I didn't hear any unusual noises or feel any difference in the driving performance, I decided to drive all the way home. An hour later, I exit and immediately pulled into a vacant lot and turned the engine off. I waited a few minutes and restarted it. The TOD "check" light is off initially and reappears blinking after a few seconds or so. I continue to drive home and did alot of extensive research on both forums last night. From what I read, I decided to wait and see whether the light will appear the following morning. And it did!

I drive to a local dealership this morning and they say their booked til next week and with it being a holiday week, the next open spot probably won't be til after the first of the year.

So, now my concern is whether or not it's a good idea to keep driving the VX as is since I'm sure I don't have 4wd currently. No bars light up as I press the gas from a stop. And no weird gut-wrenching noises or odd performance from the tranny or engine happening either. Just wondering, is there any potential damage or safety concern that could be happening while I'm driving since I do bring little Sabrina with me each morning and evening.

I also thought about reconnecting the battery to see if it clears the glitch but not sure whether that would be a good idea since I want the dealership to troubleshoot the code of what actually happened.

I haven't done anything recent like lubes or transmission fluid changes so I think that can be elliminated unless I have a recent major leak I'm unaware of. I checked underneath but didn't see any fresh leaks.

Anyone have any suggestions as I need this vehicle to go to work with a baby each day? Thanks in advance.

troubled in despair...
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

If the diagnostic connector is the same for engine and trans, maybe take it to an auto parts store that has the equiptment to pull the code. Get the code , post it here. Then if you reset the computer , you'll still have the code.

You did check your fuses?

Do as area 51 said (check the fuse first) and for a temporary fix (and kind of upgrade/mod) would be to put a switch on the TOD wire, which I believe is the only blue wire under the passenger seat? I think some people said it had silver or white stripe? Do a search on TOD disconnect and you will find the info. Jay (boarzhead) has been driving with it turned off for over a month now and he hasn't had any problems, even in the snow. Hope this helps
    Alan
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

I haven't tried the fuse check yet. Although, it would make sense to do first. Just never crossed my mind.

So, which fuse is it? I looked in both internal and engine fuse boxes but nothing indicating TOD or anything like that. Thanks again for the info as it is VERY much appreciated in my time of need.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Isn't it the same fuse as ABS?

Unhappy

There are a couple of speed sensors on the transfer case that go out and need to be replaced and a multiple wire connector above the front cross member that is "weather proof" that gets corroded and needs cleaned sometimes. Get a dealer to track the code and find the real problem. The system is easily confused by poor connections. If you have driven in "deep" water, the problem may be a bad connection or the TOD computer. Driving the VX should not be a problem but will make you nervous.

Tru
    So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
    There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out.

Flashing TOD check light and rain

Hadn't thought about it prior to seeing these posts, but I did drive through several nasty thunderstorms in Tenessee enroute on my trip. But I had been out of them for about an hour before the TOD light starting flashing.

I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and we'll see if I have the problem in the morning. Still going to have those fluid levels checked.

But basically, if I take it easy, then I should have no problem driving it 150 miles, it sounds like.

Dio

Question TOD Flashing Light

Just about to post the same thread. TOD Light started flashing 2 Day ago, and continues to do so. Has happened before but rectified itself after a few days. Have had a lot of rain lately which could be the cause.
    Continuing to use the VX without any apparent problems. Anybody know where i can get a service/workshop manual for a 98 3.2, that is willing to send to England?

dont wait

I had this problem right before my warranty expired. It can be the 4 wheel drive unit or sensors on the unit. It doesnt mess it up to drive it from what I experienced

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Some of the ABS failures that i know of are:

1. sensors
    2. wiring failure
    2. ABS hydraulic module
    3. ECU - The computer's control of ABS can go out without affecting other functioning.

When my ABS light came on we went through these areas systematlcally to find the failure.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Thanks for the responses folks!!

I really appreciate the quick responses to this disturbing TOD sensor issue.

I'm a little nervous about driving it the 1200 miles back, but I hope everything will be okay. No observable fluid leakages from transmission or transfer case, so I guess I should be fine.

We VX owners gotta stick together.. lol

Ron (diogenes)

Mine just started doing something similar.
    Check TOD light will flash, then go off as all 4 wheels on display flash 100% a few times, then check TOD flashing again.
    It did this about a month ago at the beach while in 4 hi, so I put in 4 low rest of beach driving and it hasn't come back on until just last night.
    Also, sometimes it works fine. Your suggestions sound right for my case, either bad connection or faulty sensor.

I just posted this response which I found relating to the TOD Check light:

"Not sure if this will help you but I had a problem with a buzzing sound coming from under my passenger seat. I took out the seat and pulled up the rug to find a relay/transformer making a buzzing sound. When I removed it the TOD CHECK light came on. The relay looks like this:
    http://www.in-car-stuff.com/shop/relay-spco-p-59.html

The specs are: 40A/30A 12VDC

Not sure if this would work but replacing it may do the trick. I found them on ebay really cheap ($10)."

Hope that can help someone