Thread: Overheating within 5 minutes!

Wrench Overheating within 5 minutes!

My vx has been over heating for about 4 months now. I replaced the radiator, the cap and new antifreeze . Even tried straight water in it. It over heats in wintertime or anytime no matter what the temperature is outside. Now its over heats within 5 minutes sitting in the driveway. One day it got so hot it blew the bottom radiator hose off. I pressure checked it nothing leaked, checked it all the way into the red zone on the pressure gauge and popped the upper radiator hose off. Fan turns always when vx is running. Water is flowing through all hoses, all hoses are hot. Fan and clutch does not wiggle and spins tightly. Water pump does not make noise, and pulley is not loose or play in it. Two days ago removed radiator cap , started vx little blue smoke came out tail pipe, bubbles came out of radiator and water looks light creamy color but not thick. Checked engine oil, trans fluid, and plugs all look great. Put the radiator cap back on started it within 5 minutes again heated up heard water sizzling under the intake. I figured I had a leaky hose under there. Snatched the intake off, no sign of leakage under it. Took the thermostat out tested in a pot of water on the stove , started slowly opening when got hot at boiling it was fully open. Does anyone on here know what may be making it get hot so fast and the water to be light creamy color? Could it be a internal head gasket letting small amounts of oil into the water ports and heating up the engine but not getting into the engine oil? All this is happening while idling within 5 minutes. Thanks for any help or information someone could give me.

Head gasket
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Im thinking the same thing but just don't want the headache and the expense of gaskets. Close to $400. for gaskets and bolts. Ouch! Thanks for your advice.

Head gasket, or warped or cracked head.
    Now the hard part - which one??
    Check all the spark plugs to see if there is one or 2 that have a different appearance, or do a compression test.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

I checked all the plugs they look good. I thought about warped or cracked head also. It has lots of power ( with no loss of power) just overheating and milky water in the radiator. When I pull the heads if the gaskets look good than it may be a head. I hope its just a gasket. Thanks for your input.

How about a pluged thermostat?

99.999% sure it's a head gasket. Mine was also overheating in winter--same kind of issues. Hydrocarbon test of the coolant is a dead giveaway. I spent over 2 grand having mine replaced, but it came with the peace of mind that the shop stood by their work and if it developed issues again, I'd have that to fall back on. Temp gauge needle has been solid as a rock stuck smack-dab just to the left of middle since then.

If you hear bubbling inside the engine bay--something is wrong. Coolant only works when it's under pressure, and it will boil if it's not. if you've leak checked everything else, blown head-gasket is probably the culprit.