Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Transmission Oil

Here is an article that I found interesting. It talks about the difference between two fluid flush machines. Both of my mechanics have the BG machine. I know that when they operate their machines, they run a cleaning agent through first. I'm planning on telling them NOT to do that. The article explains that the inline transmission cooler machines, like the BG for example, just dilute the fluid over and over again. That being the case, I don't want any cleaning fluid left behind in the transmission.
    http://mdhmotors.com/transmission-fl...-transmission/

I'm still looking for a way to pull the transmission fluid temperature via the data link port so that I can check the fluid level. I ordered a BAFX Bluetooth OBDII Reader / Scanner for Android Devices and will give the "Torque" app a shot. I know it is not likely to work for TFT but perhaps I will be lucky.
    If I can't get it any other way, I will paint the pan flat black and shoot an IR temp gun at it. Flat black laquer is fairly close to the default emissivity of most IR temp guns at .95.
    http://www.scigiene.com/pdfs/428_Inf...ytablesrev.pdf
    I'm not sure how accurate the reading will be, though. Most likely, the fluid will be hot while the pan temperature is "catching up" to it. Maybe I am over-thinking it. I don't know...

Sorry to hear about your transmission, Maddawg. Thats a real bummer. Did you perform regular maintenace on the tranny? Are you sure you are not checking the level when it is too hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu_Robert View Post
    Sorry to hear about your transmission, Maddawg. Thats a real bummer. Did you perform regular maintenace on the tranny? Are you sure you are not checking the level when it is too hot?
    Thanks Malibu. Yes as a matter of fact I had the tranny serviced last year. I only put a couple thousand easy miles on it a year. I think you are overly worried about the trans temp, 90-135 degrees F is a wide range. I would just use the IR temp gun to sense the temp. Thanks for the comments, much obliged!
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar