Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Oil

Valid. However, as Isuzu hasn't been involved in the UDSM market for consumer vehicles for over a decade, the wellspring of parts is drying up--regardless. And since I'm not someone who can perform quality rebuilds on his own over a weekend in my garage--I'm going for longevity--even if it costs more over time.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your feedback. Some of the folks on the FB page were helpful as well. From a logical perspective, the only argument that makes sense is keeping the oil clean.
    I suppose I could just do nothing and wait for it to fail, but that would guarantee that the transmission will ultimately be doomed.

My flush at the Isuzu dealer was 13 years ago (18K miles). So the fluid is old now. I hear you when you say that it doesn't get "old" but it has been a long time. I know the filter was never changed so I thought at 55K, now would be a good time. Since there isn't a maintenance schedule for a "normal driver" using the "severe driving condition" schedule seems like a viable alternative. On that schedule I would be changing the fluid every 20K. Like ipd, I'd rather change too often than not often enough.

One of my greatest concerns is making sure the fluid level in the transmission is correct. Since folks aren't actually measuring the internal fluid temperature and are just estimating, I am wondering if their problems could be traced to overfilling or under-filling. I liked the idea of using an infrared thermometer but here is a video showing how different the temperature can be:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrP4NQZg6w
    Time value 22:35 to 23:10
    Perhaps if he used a thermometer with adjustable emissivity he could have retrieved a more accurate reading (the pan is shiny).
    As of today, I still don't have an accurate way to measure the internal TFT.

If you want to see something really crazy, watch this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcecuGzTDg
    All of this complexity because they did away with the dipstick.

Both over and underfilling a transmission are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu_Robert View Post
    My flush at the Isuzu dealer was 13 years ago (18K miles). So the fluid is old now. I hear you when you say that it doesn't get "old" but it has been a long time. I know the filter was never changed so I thought at 55K, now would be a good time.
    I actually didn't say it never gets old. It does. But it tends to "stabilize" after a period of time (after opening/use). It breaks down a bit (upon initial use) then settles at a longterm weight. But I am talking about normal use.

You make a good point about maintenance schedules. Manufacturers don't make maintenance schedules with collectors in mind. Driving 1k/yr isn't something they normally have in mind. In fact, I would venture to say most vehicles are designed for a 10-20yr lifespan. For example, manufacturer's documentation on the design of the C4 Corvette's FRAME talks about designing it for a 20-yr-lifespan!!! They don't consider you'll keep it for 50+ years....just to look at it.

Owning a collector car (OK two of them) gives me a bit more perspective. Even at my low use level, I don't treat fluids as lasting forever. Somewhere between 5-10yrs would be the maximum I'd let a fluid remain in my car. I think most collectors would lean toward the lower end (5yrs) as a reasonable flush/change interval. I wouldn't disagree. Items exposed to the outdoors visually degrade after 5yrs. OTOH, when sealed/protected, items last much longer. (I'm speaking about cellular decay.)

You should consider changing ALL fluids every few years including brake fluid -- which many never consider. On my 89 Corvette, the manufacturer's guide doesn't list an interval for diff fuild change. Dealers would say never change it. With a 20-yr "shelf life" and/or 200k miles, they might not be wrong. I wouldn't bet on it though....especially when fluid is cheaper than a component overhaul.

Here, the question is about trans fluid. I would categorize our transmissions as sealed since they don't even have a dipstick. As such, I would consider transmission fluid safe for a longer period of time -- but not 13 years. Plus, you wouldn't be spending excessive money on maintenance to swap fluids every 5-10 years! LOL Seriously, lubricants can/do separate/congeal under extreme circumstance. Driving keeps them "mixed". Sitting for long periods does the opposite. With lack of use, lubricants separate and gaskets dry out. Letting a vehicle sit really isn't good for it. Start and drive it every week or two....is something else I recommend you do.

And, what the heck, change fluids every ten years or so -- whether they need it or not! LOL
    Last edited by 89Vette : 04/27/2018 at 12:18 PM
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Hi all. I came in to post a thread regarding how to check fluid level on the Isuzu VX and found this thread instead. Very informative. Unfortunately for me there is no mention of the correct procedure to check fluid level. Is there a thread already available? If so can someone give me a link?

I watched the two YouTube vids that were posted above related to that subject but they only discuss GM and Toyota transmissions. So basically I am asking if there is a "straw"/tube or standpipe in the Isuzu pan as the vids show and is temp as critical as the vid suggested? Is the Isuzu fluid checked engine running, engine running in PARK, engine running in NEUTRAL? Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Last edited by 89Vette : 04/29/2018 at 11:30 AM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 89Vette For This Useful Post:

Maddawg (04/30/2018)

Just something I found today.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ipd For This Useful Post:

Maddawg (04/30/2018), Thelgord (04/29/2018)

Thanks guys! Both responses are excellent.
    I had my trans serviced last June. The filter was replaced and I'm guessing that some fluid was lost during that process. 2.5 quarts of 80-90 gear oil was replaced and 1 quart of limited slip additive.
    The last couple of months I have felt the trans jerk lightly while rolling, foot off the gas down a slight grade. I have a steep uphill incline that produces a barely audible high pitched whine while accelerating. A couple of days ago a made a fast but wide arcing 90 degree turn and lost forward momentum for a few seconds.
    My first thought was CLUTCH! Later I got to thinking, low trans fluid. So I will tackle the fluid level as soon as I can and not drive the car until I do. If the above description rings a bell with anyone, please let me know.

Thanks again!!!

Gear oil in the transmission???

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    Gear oil in the transmission???
    Sorry about that. Receipt says: Towed in check and advise, service rear diff and trans, scanned vehicle, no fault codes present engine and trans. Parts: gear oil 80-90 gr1, limited slip additive LIMSLIP, A/Trans Filter Kit. (My bad)

I was gonna say. putting a quart of gear oil in the trans is an old trick to mask transmission problems when selling a vehicle....

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    I was gonna say. putting a quart of gear oil in the trans is an old trick to mask transmission problems when selling a vehicle....
    I've even heard of people putting bananas in the gear box, lol. I was wondering though, if the filter was replaced, wouldn't it take more than a quart of fluid to refill? Or maybe they re-used some of the drained fluid?

So, anywho, today was a warm windless day with no sand blowing in my face. I dove under the VX armed with the fill/drain info from above in my head and positive the fluid was low. Nope, not low. A little squirted out but not a steady overfilled flow. I'm guessin' its the clutch alright. Damn!

It could be the shift solenoids going bad. Cheaper and easier to replace.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by Thelgord View Post
    It could be the shift solenoids going bad. Cheaper and easier to replace.
    Hmmm, interesting.