Thread: Feb 2018 Video Review

Feb 2018 Video Review

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AssyrianMe For This Useful Post:

ipd (02/16/2018)

Very nice!

SWEET! I've been hoping someone would get him to do a review! I even considered having him use mine. Glad someone did it!

Ironically, my brother sent me a link/head-up being a follower of this guy's reviews. I was struck by the amount of feedback that was flying by but posted my personal disappointment. I suppose we should be "flattered?" that his review was posted but so many things were wrong, missed, and more. Personally, I took issue with the looks score. Having seen how many people flock to my VX to ask questions on a daily basis, I know it's not considered "WEIRD". I know people really like it's looks and the feedback was telling that story. I posted that I was disappointed because he didn't explain more about it being brought to production, why, and it's achievements in off-roading. I skipped posting more (to his website) but this list was posted to Facebook today:

He didn't mention :
    -The VX production was intentionally low as it was a promotional strategy to attract costumers to the Isuzu brand.
    -It was awarded many awards when it first came out .
    -The VX won the Dakar cometition
    -The seats came in black/gray, too
    -Not mentioned to the other colors
    -He used the driver seat side to get in to the back seat
    -the lines on the interior roof are a projection of the outside.
    -The doors have those indented lines, too. (adds character and they are not just plain like other models).
    He called "fake carbon fiber" to the CB interior panel.
    -The cladding were not just plastic pieces. Instead, they were made from a specific material and pretty much hand-made.

I'm not sure this list is complete or correct either. No mention of the special mold process, how rare it is to see a "Halo/Concept" even COME to production, I doubt he used power mode AND I wonder if he was in "Winter" mode during the test. He didn't mention the construction of the frame, how sturdy/unique that is in "unibody" days...and just missed the mark in a lot of ways to me.

The odd thing is he seemed to like it more than he would overtly admit. That, in itself, brings into question his ability to be a good reviewer. That's if you fail to notice how many things he failed to research/understand about the history of our vehicles. To be honest, I laughed at his stupidity regarding seat combinations, lack of good looks, claims that Protons were the worst, and trying to get in the backseat ONLY on the DS. Sorry...I have to say this: What a dork.

Overall, I'm guessing non-owners probably like the video quite a bit more than owners -- because we understand it much better.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

He, like pretty much every other pundit in the known universe, is wrong on the selling numbers though. VX was always intended as a low-volume vehicle. I really wish people would stop referring to the low sales numbers as proof that it wasn't a popular/good car.

-"Stock" does not include the plastic on the front bumper
    -nor the step bars
    -nor the tow hitch & hitch step

-"This wasn't really intended to be a sporty, high performance SUV" LoL, um....WHAT? No wonder you think the price is outrageous. Can I have some of what you're smoking Doug?

-Can't get in the back seat. Ok, Mr. Geriatric. And you didn't even fold them flat or forward to show the additional versatility of the interior.

-That "truck feel"...that's what BODY ON FRAME is called. /facepalm

-"It was too expensive" That's pretty much standard for a HALO car. Also, it had more groundbreaking tech on a production vehicle than almost any in history.

-"It was weird looking". Sure. And it also aged better than ANY of its similar-year brotheren, still looks modern (eg. 2016 Jeep Cherokee), and proved that Isuzu had the brass balls to bring a concept car to production.

"Largely impractical, thanks to 2-doors" Yet this isn't an issue for Wranglers, Broncos, Jimmys, Evoque, etc, etc, etc? Did you even bother to show how much space is in the back with the rear seats forward?

-4 out of 10 on importance? Let's see. 1st production vehicle with this type of suspension (standard on Raptors & all high-end vehicles now). 1st with ToD (standard on virtually every grocery getter SUV now). 1st with ceramic die stamped body--allowing it to come to market cheaper and in a shorter time; also reused so much of the existing parts bin that it probably deserves special mention just for that.

I've liked doug's reviews in the past...but I'll agree, this one missed the mark. He might have been more impressed if he let the air out to 15 psi & lead-footed it over some sand dunes.
    Last edited by ipd : 02/17/2018 at 06:17 AM

p.s.
    I also get a kick out of the idiot Youtube commenters who call it (among other things) an Isuzu Aztek. The Vehicross came out 4 years earlier (1997) vs. 2001 for the Aztek. Also, since GM had (still has) controlling interest in Isuzu, putting out a lackluster knockoff vehicle like the Aztek after Isuzu went all-in with the Vehicross--is standard GM fare. They also slapped cladding on the Avalanche & a lot of other things too (eg, EVERY Pontiac)

He can come look over and drive mine any day. Heavily modded, garage kept, low miles. Bring that overall score up 40pts.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WormGod For This Useful Post:

ipd (02/19/2018)

He also doesn't understand how TOD works. Above 10mph it is in the 15% range, not just when the wheels slip. Also, I was glad to see mine isn't the only one suffering from a worn seat belt tensioner