Thread: Mode selector switch ADJUSTMENT.

Mode selector switch ADJUSTMENT.

Was having late shifts i.e. engine not shifting at proper RPM's but shifting later in the revving cycle. Looked everywhere on VX.net for information and came across many solutions some of which I tried and some of which I did not. Nothing seemed to help. So with much trepidation I removed and dismantled the mode selector switch. After cleaning it, reassembling it and reinstalling it I think things were actually worse. BUT, while reinstalling I noticed that the mounting point for the top bolt is slotted allowing for adjustment. Since I hadn't tightened the top bolt yet I loosened the lower bolt, rotated the mode selector switch as far as I could clockwise and voila problem solved. Proper shifting achieved.

I am only mentioning this here because I could find no other posts on "adjusting" the mode selector switch but only on replacing or cleaning. Hopefully it will help someone in the future. Had I known about adjusting the switch I could have saved myself some time, energy and headaches. lol

Addendum: Conclusion: As the mode selector switch rotated over time due to bumps, vibrations etc. it gradually moved the switch into "power" mode permanently thus moving the shift points later in the power band to increase "power". All it really does is make the shift points later so that the engine can use more of the peak HP/Torque which in smaller engines occurs at higher revs. When I first got the VX I noted that the "power" button did nothing. Now when I put it in "power" mode it moves the shift points up higher in the power band and it acts just like it did prior to my adjustments. Hopefully this post will help someone in the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dallas121469 For This Useful Post:

arcobarco (06/08/2017)

I need this! Is this the switch on the console? Or on the transmission? If on the transmission, where on the transmission is it?

Thank for any help!
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

The mode selector switch is, from what I remember, on the drivers side of the transmission almost directly below the driver seat.
    Can't seem to link to my gallery right now, but the mode selector switch looks like this:
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...ose-up&cat=500
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...de-two&cat=500
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...de-one&cat=500

Enjoy!
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MSHardeman For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (03/02/2018)

Awesome! Thank you!

I haven't had to fuss with mine yet (the one in the picture is a spare). If it is giving you problems, and not just misaligned, you can take it off, take it apart and clean it. Even though the selector switch has a gasket between it's two halves, dirt may still get into it and mess with the electrical connections. Just take it apart, get all the dust and dirt out of it, clean the connections and put it back together. If the electrical contacts aren't worn out you should be good to go.