Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED Headlights

LED Headlights

So my Brite *** LED's have already had 1 failure. Tried getting hold of the company...but their voicemail is full, and they aren't responding to their web mail.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good, fairly inexpensive LED headlight option? This last set was $150, and I'd like to go maybe 1/2 that, if possible.

Thanks!

Wow, that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much for LED bulbs!

I run these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, and that's not even top end. The only place I saw offering lifetime warranty--was in the $300 range.

I ordered these--hopefully they do the trick and LAST:

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headli...01LCE19PW?th=1

The biggest problem I'm aware of is that since LED retrofitting is so new, there's very little data on long-term durability/effects. Which means there's so little to go off of when looking for a long-term viable option.

p.s.
    I was only looking for "H4 9003" bulb solutions. I'm not 100% sure what those mean, but I know that's what is listed as stock replacement--so if any listings didn't have that, I overlooked them.

I go through about 2 sets a year....and I don't even use them full time. My friend uses them full time in his Trooper and his lasted 2 years.

However, I retrofitted some xenon bulbs in my Hella Micro DEs that I run in place of my OEM circular lights, and I run those full time as headlights, and I go through a new set once every 3 years, literally. So, go figure.

H4 9003 is the type of head light connection....there are a few different types.

Was finishing up my install of LED interior lights today. Realized that the headlight isn't fully dead. It actually has a faint blue light coming from it. The high-beams still work. The fan unit seems to make nose a lot more than the other side though.

That's what happened with all of my units that fail....brights are fine, the low beams go out. Contemplating switching them out for Xenons the next go round, as they seem to last a lot longer, at least for me.

Yeah, which is weird. I didn't think it took THAT much technology to make LED's durable. And there's no way LED puts out more heat than Xenon or Halogen. I honestly don't get it

Could be a defect in manufacturing, could be an overvolt from the VX, could be a lot of things. Since it is still “kind of” working, I would guess the voltage regulator inside the unit may have gone bad.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Well since the fan seems to be louder on that side, I'm curious.

Every time it's happened, the first thing I do is switch the ballasts to ascertain if the issue is the bulb or the ballast. It's always been the bulb. When I've installed them in the past, I put the rubber boot on behind the headlight. Methinks that there isn't enough air circulating, which causes overheating. ..which is why the brights still work, as they haven't been overheated. At least that's my theory. This time I didn't use the boot, but that causes condensation to build up in the headlight. Like I said, when these go out, I'm going to switch to bi-xenons....no fan/airflow issues. If they don't suffer in the Hellas, they should be fine in the headlight assembly.

Well I got my Hikari lights today. One interesting thing I note is that they give instructions for what to do if 1 headlight goes out. How to swap modules and what this means as to whether a replacement bulb or module is required. And they sell parts individually..so that's good.

Sounds like a good product

I just recently picked up my VX a few months ago. I have been collecting parts since then, one project is headlight retrofit, correct me if I’m wrong, it looks as JDM headlights have a 7” round glass lights inside. Loosely based on that I’ve picked up some Rigid Industries Truck-Lites that I’ll be attempt to stick in there. It might be a month or so, but I’ll post up my mods as I start getting them started

iirc, JDM and USDM lights are both projector-type housings, with the difference of the angle the lights are facing--due to driving on opposite sides of the road. but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

We offer a few style of H4 LED headlights thru my shop and have been selling them
    now for over a yr with pretty good results. We offer an economy set for $70 w a 1 yr
    warranty and we sell another style for $120 lifetime warranty and weve been here over 25 yrs
    so if you have an issue, we will be there to help you too. None of ours use a fan, the fan
    style always end up failing. Our heatsinks are non breakable and better design.

Check out our VX accessories @
    www.planetsvx.com
    click on the Vehicross button on the left side
    of the page