Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Mr Tin Man’s broken heart

  1. #16
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    Motor mount dilemma




    Go figure original 3.5 mount bolted right on. Next is a test fit

    Next we will be doing a test fit.

  2. #17
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0ke3T1947 View Post
    Motor mount dilemma




    Go figure original 3.5 mount bolted right on. Next is a test fit

    Next we will be doing a test fit.

    Correction! Inner rubber bot and chassi mount worked. Not the portion that bolts to the engine

  3. #18
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    Did compression test on new engine and everything looks good. Ran the engine and I must say, that I’m kinda of getting excited

    Shout out to. Ipupgary at the planet. Without his write up this wouldn’t be possible


    Ok, took some strength and serious finesse but motor is in. Looks like I’m a little close to comfort on the differential.
    Transmission is sittin just about right ( willl require slight mod to brace it to the existing cross member & 4x4 shifter hole needed modification. 4jg2 oil pan was a bit tricky while setting in the engine but we got it. Luckily I’ve save everything from the old motor so I have been able to reuse a lot of miscellaneous item.

    Things to tackle next are front cv shaft (I may change this to a U joint style)& rear shafts,shifter,radiator, transmission cooler lines, AC high and low pressure lines.

  4. #19
    Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Location
    1999 Ebony VX, 0209
    Posts
    578
    Thanked: 18
    Damn this is getting exciting!
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

  5. #20
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    For those of you that are interested in on IpupGary's build thread on his trooper

    http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.ph...87600171f9f7ff

  6. #21
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    2001 VX 1320 -- Ebony
    Posts
    726
    Thanked: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0ke3T1947 View Post
    Here is my purchased 4jg2 with Aw30-40le

    Found a short description of the engine in Wikipedia:
    The 4JG2 is a 3.1 L (3,059 cc), 95.4 mm bore x 107 mm stroke version with indirect injection. It replaced the 4JB1-T in the Isuzu Bighorn (Trooper II) and Mu/Wizard (Rodeo) in most markets.[27] This engine was upgraded from mechanical injection to electronically controlled mechanical injection. Power levels ranged between 94 and 112 PS (70 and 84 kW) depending on specifications.

    How will you integrate computer function? I wonder what the power levels are in HP/TQ terms? Why did you opt for a diesel platform? Low-end torque?
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

  7. #22
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    FYI: Still can't figure out why the orientation is sideways I've edited the pictures and uploaded them both on a desktop and a mobile device. Maybe someone here knows. pictures are added using the dropbox method (?raw=1).

  8. #23
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0ke3T1947 View Post
    Here is my purchased 4jg2 with Aw30-40le

    Found a short description of the engine in Wikipedia:
    The 4JG2 is a 3.1 L (3,059 cc), 95.4 mm bore x 107 mm stroke version with indirect injection. It replaced the 4JB1-T in the Isuzu Bighorn (Trooper II) and Mu/Wizard (Rodeo) in most markets.[27] This engine was upgraded from mechanical injection to electronically controlled mechanical injection. Power levels ranged between 94 and 112 PS (70 and 84 kW) depending on specifications.

    How will you integrate computer function? I wonder what the power levels are in HP/TQ terms? Why did you opt for a diesel platform? Low-end torque?


    Computer TBD (possible PCM piggyback for the tranny & TOD)/ Hp 125/ torque 255/ mainly for low end torque.

    Keep in mind this particular engine is the mechanical version. Not a whole lot to it. As I have it understood most people who buy the electronic injection version usually swap it back to mechanical.


    Reason: My dad always had them so inherently I learned while he taught. I Needed a challenge on something that’s been talked to death & That hadn’t been done on a VX. Plus my dad has Alzheimer’s and he doesn’t remember much, but when he hears a diesel grumbling he gets excited.

  9. #24
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    2001 VX 1320 -- Ebony
    Posts
    726
    Thanked: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0ke3T1947 View Post
    Computer TBD (possible PCM piggyback for the tranny & TOD)/ Hp 125/ torque 255/ mainly for low end torque.

    Keep in mind this particular engine is the mechanical version. Not a whole lot to it. As I have it understood most people who buy the electronic injection version usually swap it back to mechanical.

    Reason: My dad always had them so inherently I learned while he taught. I Needed a challenge on something that’s been talked to death & That hadn’t been done on a VX. Plus my dad has Alzheimer’s and he doesn’t remember much, but when he hears a diesel grumbling he gets excited.
    I hope your dad hangs in there. Sounds like they are coming up with some better medications these days...if it's not already too late. Fingers crossed!

    I'm curious what controls the injection on a manual setup? Seems I remember an episode of Wheeler Dealers that dealt with manual injection...maybe on a Mercedes? Or BMW? I'm pretty sure Edd had to rebuild/fix it though I can't quite remember how it worked. I'll probably remember in my sleep! LOL

  10. #25
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    Update:


    1 motor Mounts finalized
    2 Shortened rear shaft with custom transfer case flange complete
    3 front shaft changed and lengthened from cv to U joint(2002 trooper).
    4 Custom aluminum front differential flange made.
    5 Oil filter will need to be relocated. too many things goin down on the right side, plus I have to make room for the 3 exhaust pipe
    6 radiator hoses complete
    7 transmission cooler lines complete
    8 shifter Complete


    Gonna try and test drive in limp mode possibly soon

    I’m dreading the wiring. May outsource.




    Test drive video coming soon

  11. #26
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    Picture is worth a thousand








    Last edited by sm0ke3T1947 : 12/18/2017 at 04:21 PM Reason: Video not uploaded

  12. #27
    Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Location
    1999 Ebony VX, 0209
    Posts
    578
    Thanked: 18
    This. Is. Awesome!

  13. #28
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1
    It’s alive

    https://youtu.be/4gJek1dsDRQ



    Sorry!! I promise to post more details and pics soon.

    In case I’m asked. Wire hanging on the front is a temp jumper cable.

  14. #29
    Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Location
    1999 Ebony VX, 0209
    Posts
    578
    Thanked: 18
    Yes!

  15. #30
    Member Since
    May 2017
    Location
    2001,Silver,VX,0611
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 1


    Tight squeeze! This is the reason for the oil filter relocation



    Will have to fabricate custom fan shroud




    Knee deep into the wiring



    new transfer case location.



    Now the wiring fun part begins. More to come next year.

Similar Threads

  1. Vicki needs a new heart...
    By MSHardeman in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10/04/2012, 07:10 PM
  2. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
    By deermagnet in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11/04/2010, 04:42 PM
  3. Eat your heart out!
    By VXIRONwoMAN in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06/07/2007, 11:43 PM
  4. I just had a heart attack
    By Maugan_VX in forum VX Troubleshooting...
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05/14/2007, 07:10 AM
  5. Broken rear seat bolt -- how to get the broken piece out?
    By Grant Eaton in forum VX Troubleshooting...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04/01/2003, 05:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
$lv_vb_eventforums_eventdetails