Thread: Can anyone recommend a good transmission shop in Phoenix, AZ ?

Can anyone recommend a good transmission shop in Phoenix, AZ ?

Today I tried to address my transmission problem (slipping in 1st and 2nd). I hoped it was just low fluid, so warmed it up and opened the fill bolt.
    Had to add 1.5 quarts before some started coming out of the fill hole, and what spilled out was a black murky mess (see photo). So I knew that was a bad sign - probably clutches got burned up.

Sure enough backed it out of the driveway afterwards, and 1st gear is still all but useless, and I can hear it just slipping and spinning. I don't have the tools to do anything more than fluid changes, so will need to bring it to a shop that can hopefully rebuild.

Automatic Transmission Experts on 7th Ave. Paul is the owner. Most knowledgeable transmission guy in town.

Had a quick chat with Paul over the phone today. He sounds very knowledgeable. He said ballpark cost would be up to $2250, which is expected and close to other quotes I've gotten. So far Paul is my preferred choice.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad price. Make sure it is a complete rebuild. Some shops will test the solenoids for each gear and not replace them if they test good. If you are going to get all that done, may as well make everything new and they are not that much more.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Thelgord For This Useful Post:

Blazer (09/21/2017)

I'm Glad Paul was helpful. Let me know how it turns out. What part of the valley are you in?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dbk For This Useful Post:

Blazer (09/21/2017)

I'm in North Phoenix, around I17 & Happy Valley. Although 1st and 2nd gear are shot, I can still limp it to the shop by using "Winter Drive" mode, which starts you out in 3rd gear.

$1250 is an expert rebuild price here in the Cincinnati area, full rebuild, flat rate including the entire pain in the butt it is to get that transmission out. Likely welding involved to cut open ends of cross member to get bolt out that will likely snap off, all of mine did. yes, should be all new solonoids included and a warranty of course. your looking for a shop that knows what a General Motors 4L30E is up front. Don't even mention is't an Isuzu. If they don't know what the 4L30E is, hang up and move on to next shop until you find one that knows that tranny. A good tranny shop will have lots and lots of table space because a total rebuild take alot of table space for a thousand parts, all to be inspected, measured, cleaned and or replaced. 4L30E was orginally a Chevy Chevette tranny that got the "E" as and upgrade and fitted to a 4WD all the time vehicle and it's grossly underrated by spec for our VX's. Spend extra $125-ish to disconnect your radiator's "intercooler" as I've seen the cut away of them and they are more likey to heat up than cool. An auxillary one just gets hung in front of your radiator and provides actual cooling. When those gears go, there is nothing to do. Putting in used doesn't get u anywhere either cause you don't know it's condition upfront and will end up in same boat later or immeadiately. Sad but we all do alot to preserve what will soon be 20 year old vehicles that are still distinct and loving!

Well said