Thread: Brakes this time

Brakes this time

So I have been working on the VX trying to get it road worthy again. The breaks have felt soft since I got it, and just assumed they were old and will need to be replaced. No grinding or anything like that. However, I was just out looking over. The VX deciding what job to do next when I noticed that the rear hubs (both sides) are still showing the same surface rust it had when I trailered it home. The front also had some when I first got it (I assume from sitting more than a few months) but after driving, the front rotors are nice and shiny smooth. Are my rear calipers stuck? How do I test for that? Re-bleed the reaer brakes?

Thanks for any insight.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

I don't think that they'd be stuck, otherwise you'd be hearing them drag.

FWIW: I found out mine were eating the pistons after a while of negligence. Take a peek at your fluid too. make sure its not contaminated.

Depending on how long it sat and where it came from, the calipers "could be" seizing. My VX only gets about 3k miles a year so it sits in the garage a lot. I'm also in the mid atlantic, which gets it's fair share of road salts every winter. Due to the fact that it sits.... alone.... in a dark garage (queue violin), and has ugly elements to deal with on rare occasions, I find myself replacing calipers probably every 3-4 years. The signs they are going are, squeaking, failure to release from breaking (just sits at idle in drive when break is released), and slight grind when in motion (pads and rotors fighting to see who is best!). Were I to drive it more, it would be much less an issue since they would flex off most of the gunk, but I am a bad, bad owner.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I still need to pull the calipers and install the new pads. Unfortunately Georgia weather has not been cooperating, I really need a garage! LOL! Its been raining for nearly a week.