Thread: Won't start, can't pull codes, TOD check light

Wrench Won't start, can't pull codes, TOD check light

Here's hoping I can call on the collective wisdom of the group to help diagnose a problem.

1. '99 Ironman. Driving along on the highway and vehicle suddenly dies... like running out of gas. Towed home (thanks AAA).
    2. Engine turns over strongly but will not start.
    3. No CEL -- it always worked before now. CEL does not illuminate on starting
    4. TOD check light flashing. TOD lights do illuminate to reflect 4H vs 4L vs neutral
    5. And, most frustrating of all, I cannot pull any codes. OBDII will not connect to my scanner.

Much appreciated if anyone has faced something similar and can help diagnose the problem.

Thanks

1) CKP, Crank shaft poisition sensor. Use by the PCM to monitor engine speed. If faulty, the engine won't start, but should still throw a trouble code.

2) 15A Iginition Fuse and the 30A PCM fuse. If the PCM fuse is blown the PCM will not power on, the engine will crank but not run, and you will get no error codes.

3) Check PCM connections and ground connections for the PCM. (Could cause the same symptoms as #2)
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Bad dose of watery gas? Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Or you could just disconnect a ff line, drain the current ff out, then hook it up and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelgord View Post
    1) CKP, Crank shaft poisition sensor. Use by the PCM to monitor engine speed. If faulty, the engine won't start, but should still throw a trouble code.

2) 15A Iginition Fuse and the 30A PCM fuse. If the PCM fuse is blown the PCM will not power on, the engine will crank but not run, and you will get no error codes.

3) Check PCM connections and ground connections for the PCM. (Could cause the same symptoms as #2)

Thanks. CKP was my first thought. That's where I'll head after checking the fuses you mention. Of course, it's a bear to get to... do I need to drop the starter to reach it? So weird that a) it happened while cruising along and b) it won't connect to scanner... have never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Bad dose of watery gas? Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Or you could just disconnect a ff line, drain the current ff out, then hook it up and try again.
    Thank you. Unlikely to be bad gas... was in the middle of the current tankfull. Dying in the middle of driving does sound like a fuel supply problem however and that's a good thought but wouldn't explain failure of OBDII and TOD check light.

Update on wont start....

Update on this problem... feel really dumb... turned out to be the engine fuse. What makes no sense is that I was able to pull 3 speed sensor codes which is what sent me in that direction. I cannot fathom why a bad engine fuse would be manifest as speed sensor codes.

Final update: those of you in the Denver area know that we had a bad hailstorm last May. Insurance decided they would total this vehicle and offered me as much as I felt I would be able to get on the street even without the hail damage. So, I took the offer which leaves me with only my Big Blue Vx. It too sustained hail damage but, after fighting with insurance, they decided it could be repaired (but not until I filed a complaint with the Colorado Division of Insurance). So, does anyone know of a good body shop? In addition to the dent repair I'll need to get it rewrapped (or possibly repainted).

Not sure about the Denver area, but in springs (when I lived there) I used a company called wreck maters to have body work done on my Toyota Tacoma. Dive looking place, but they did amazing work.

https://www.facebook.com/Wreckmaster...7210861990334/