Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Project VXOverLand

I dont have those or the hatch cover for the inside. I am sure they could though if you could get an appropriate 3D file.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

The website is: https://www.shapeways.com

I hit them up on Facebook about automotive interior trim pieces and small plastic bits and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Basically they can print anything, some even out of metal, though I think that would be very expensive. I don't have any prices yet, they need the 3D model file before they can give a quote.

Checked the transmission fluid again, no leaks! Yay!

The VX seems to be running OK. I am getting a couple of OBD codes that I am trying o sort out. Intake temp sensor and EGR recirculation temp. Looking though the manual they charge a common ground so I will clean both sensors and check the wiring before changing parts.

I am also getting a strange "wuring" noise from the engine. Not sure if it is the fan, or if the intake is sucking air, or if I have an exhaust leak, or if that's normal. Just haven't tracked everything down yet.

Conducted first real "test drive" today. Total distance around 25 miles, speeds to 60mph, mix of back roads and in town traffic. Also did grocery shopping. This was mainly to get a feel for how the VX drives, and to try to learn the VX, and I learned a lot. I learned the steering is a bit on the sloppy side, could probably do with an alignment, steering wheel is "centered" when driving strait, and the cargo area is far smaller than I had originally thought. However, the engine stayed cool, the AC worked well (though a lot of condensation), the transmission (which I was worried about) performed flawlessly, and I learned it is a lot of fun to drive. I calling this one a win.

Cargo area only "looks" small. That's because the back seats are exceptionally roomy for a vehicle this size. Then you fold them flat to the front seats, and find you can fit 4 full-size tires in the back end.

Took the front bumper and grill off today. The "tube" that I assume is the actual bumper in nearly rusted though on the drivers side. I guess that is a perfect excuse to build my winch mount

I also removed the headlight housings to clean and polish them. I am using the "Rustoleum Wipe New" head light kit. I must say this stuff is amazing! I have the final coat "curing" on the back porch now. I will post comparison pics when I get installed tomorrow. The reason I am not installing today is the instructions say to keep it was from moisture for 24 hours, even dew. Where I am in Georgia morning dew looks like a rain storm came through over night this time of year.

Also, how do you test ball joints?

Got the head light pods reinstalled.

Here is what it used to look like: http://imgur.com/x45xv2M.jpg

Here is what it looks like now:
    http://imgur.com/kF5ndOJ.jpg
    http://imgur.com/0VIV8wr.jpg
    http://imgur.com/MKJDBoJ.jpg

And reinstalled:
    http://imgur.com/918tegl.jpg

Took some serious elbow grease, but I "got-er-dunn" hahaha

If you're talking about the ball joints on the control arms, what I usually do is jack up the frame so the wheel is off the ground, then try moving it. If it moves on yaw axis, you probably have a tie-rod issue. if it moves on the roll axis (top/bottom), you probably have a ball joint issue.

Put some Mother's back to black or something on that trim.

One thing at a time. I have a lot to do in order to get this VX right again. It is worse shape than I thought, but the price was right so I didn't expect perfection anyway.

More progress today.

Got rid of all the engines codes except the P0405 (EGR Low) error. I pulled the EGR sensor, new gasket, cleaned it out really good. It seemed to move freely, but at over 170k miles it probably needs a new one. Before I did all that, the error would come back in 3-5 seconds. After all that, and idling for 20 minutes it would take up to 15 seconds to come back, and after a quick 15 mile drive down a back highway it now takes nearly 30 seconds to come back. I am not sure if the gasket is "seating" itself, or if the damn thing just needs changed out. Probably the latter. It looks fairly rough. I'll let the engine cool down for a while then check it again.

My other issue was the Air Intake Temp sensor (P0113 I think). Solved that fairly quickly. Cleaned the plug and re-inserted. That one was easy. As soon as I did it though, the air intake throttle control thing (cant remember the exact name at the moment, but it has the two small torque screws), decided it wanted to make the engine start and idle at 2600 RPM. That was a PITA to diagnose.

Once I figured out what it was it was just a simple matter of removing it, give it (and the housing) a good thorough cleaning and reinstall. This VX is becoming quite the little problem child! LOL! But, that tends to happens when they haven't been treated right for a long time. Oh well. It's late July in Georgia and hot as all get out. I think I am done working on it for today .... nahhhhh ....

Finally got around to doing the transfer case fluid, yay! More progress! Like the transmission the fluid was a burnt brown color. New fluid should help it along.

I also changed the transmission drain plug gasket back to a copper crush washer. I tried one of those cool bolts with the rubber around the base, it leaked. No issues with the crush washers, even if I have to change them every time I remove the bolt.

Also got the windshield washers working, sort of. More than a few leaks are present. I think I am just going to have to swap out all of the old lines. Even the washer fluid reservoir leaked. Add that to my to-do list. Sighhhh ...

I have also identified my groaning noise. Apparently it is coming from 1 or both differentials. I was planning a fluid change anyway, so that will probably be next. Still need to the engine oil and spark plugs, belt, should probably do the timing belt at some point.

Anyway, progress continues....

Purchased new praise pads for the rear however I don't have a garage, just a car port. Storms are preventing further work on the VX today.

[EDIT]

I bled the rear brakes just for giggles sake. Turns out the rear brakes work now. I still need to change the pads out, but it isn't such a rush job anymore.

[/EDIT]
    Last edited by Thelgord : 07/24/2017 at 02:15 PM

Got the hardware hit for the brakes on order (the little clips).

Installed a universal battery bracket.

Feels good to see items on the TODO list getting green text. Breaking the tasks down from "Completely Fix Everything!" To smaller tasks helps me stay focused and gives me a sense that I am actually accomplishing something.

Yep, i know how that feels. Keep up the good work!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ipd For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (07/24/2017)

Got the rest of my brake parts in today. Also, the parts I ordered from Japan back on the 13th came in as well! Yay! It's going to be a fun weekend.