Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Project VXOverLand

Another update.

1) Got the new intake manifold gasket from RockAuto. Much thicker than the one from my local auto parts store. I talked to a guy at work and he said the 3.5L needs a thicker gasket (upper) than the 3.2 and I probably got the one for the 3.2 from the auto parts store. Hopefully, this one won’t blow out after three days of use like the thin one did. I will be installing the gasket tonight.

2) Since I have an iPhone 8, while at WalMart I punched a window mount for my phone that also does wireless charging. I am surprised that it actually works, but it really does. I will also have to find a spont to mount this.

3) While at WalMart, and the reason I went there, I got the Reese roof basket. It is a perfect fit for the cross bars. I know the load rating is only 125 pounds, but the cross bars say only 110 and i am not sure if that each or combined. Either way, the plastic towers are nearing 20 years old and I don’t wan’t to overload them. Limiting my roof cargo weight to 100-125 pounds i think is a safe bet. I have a roof rack that I made for a Tacoma I used to have that is heavy duty steel. I could, and have, put over 500 pounds on that rack with no deflection, but it is also 85 pounds by itself. With the limitations of the cross bars, that wouldn’t leave much weight for cargo. This Reese basket is going to work well I think.

Time to go tear the engine apart, again.... LOL!
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Got the new intake gasket in, and it is finally running right! Yay! No more air leaks, the computer is showing my MPG increasing from ~14 to 16.1 so far, and the weird lifter tap has gone away. Crazy thing.

Updates!

1) Ordered and received a Uniden PRO520XL CB Radio. Thought about mounting it in the ashtray slot, and it does fit, though it sticks out quite a ways. Looking for a better location before doing the install.

2) I ordered the Curt Trailer Hitch from etrailer.com. It should be here in a 1 or 2 weeks. I went with the Curt Hitch over making my own hidden hitch because of safety concerns. Using the Curt I know I will get 3500 capacity, which is higher than what the VX rated for, and I can pull a trailer safely. The only way to do a load test on a hidden hitch would be built it, then pull it until it breaks, and that may break the VX. From a safety standpoint, this really is the way to go.

I still need to finish fixing the window travel on both doors, and I have swapped out one window motor (driver), but I am still having issues with the window tilting forward on the way up. With it being super cold out lately, I am not in any hurry to work on it anyway. I have the motor for the passenger side as well, but I don’t want to start that until I get the drivers window sorted.

The build continues...

CB inside the center console?

I have a Curt on mine. With the Super-Bumper attached to it, it's not as "clean looking" perhaps, but I feel a lot better about the potential of getting rear ended, and--as Jo will attest to--they make a great skid plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    CB inside the center console?
    It’s an idea. I will explore it and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Started to scout mounting locations for my CB antenna.

I have 3’ Fire Stick (tunable) that I really like that I took off of my Tacoma before I sold it. I suppose I could switch to a wire whip antenna, but I already have a good antenna that is proven to work. I don’t want to mount it on the roof because I have covered parking and I like parking under it. Post-Lift even a hood/fender mount would make it just a few inches to tall. So far, the best location seems to be to bolt a mount plate to the top of the opening for the license plate. To keep the antenna cable from blocking view of the plate, I will need to put it as far as I can to one side. Not an issue really, although I do think I will need to stop by a truck stop and pick up a 90 degree adapater to make it a cleaner install and to help hide the cable.

Of course, the real trick is how to run the antenna cable through the door without cutting massive holes. I may end up being forced to cut the connector from one end, run the cable, then attach a new connector. Not difficult to do, but you need to take your time to do it right.

Now that I know where the antenna is going to be, it is time to head back out to the VX to see if I can find a cozy spot for the CB itself.

Granted I am working with just the dome light, so I will need to look again when it is light outside, but I have two possible locations for mounting the CB radio.

1) Just to the right of the steering column. Not ideal as I worry about my legs bumping it, but there seems to be enough room.

2) Mounted vertically next to the shifter. This, so far anyway, is my preferred choice. I could mount it in the passenger side as well, but I worry that passengers may not be used to the idea of items mounted near their legs and may bump it.

The radio is to long to mount in the ash tray slot or the cubby in the center console. Of course, there is the slot at the bottom of the dash where the OEM CD changer used to be, but I am saving that for a switch bank (I have more plans ). So unless I can find a better spot these two are the prime candidates. I did consider mounting it on top of the dash in the center, and would work well, but I really don’t want to drill holes in it. Unless I can find a way to secure it without drilling holes, that spot is out.

I have a CB that I only use when I go to Moab so I wanted to install it so it could be removed and you would never know that it was there. I ended up mounting mine on the passenger side of the center console using the stock screw holes that hold the center console in. I fabricated a mount for the mic that I install on the dash on the right side of the steering wheel, again using stock screw holes that hold the dash on. It all works out very well. I have pictures in my gallery, but I can't seem to link them to this post.

I mounted my antennae to my roof rack and then ran the cable in through the back door by just shutting the door on it. The weather stripping deforms enough so the cable doesn't get pinched. Once the cable is inside I ran it behind the interior panels in the cargo area to just behind the passenger door. From there it runs under the carpet under the passenger seat and then under the carpet along the trans tunnel where it daylights behind the center console and plugs into the back of the CB. When the CB is out of the car I coil the cable up behind the center console at the front and behind the cargo area interior panel so you don't see anything.

That might be 1,000 words, but pictures would sure help.

I have seen a couple of VXers mount their CB antennae's to their back doors using this mount: https://www.rightchannelradios.com/p...annel-radios-1 If you are squeamish about drilling through you cladding or sheet metal this might not be the best option for you. I'm sure that I could find some pictures for you, but apparently I wouldn't be able to link them here anyway.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/Firestik-MKM2.../dp/B007W7SGBY

It’s a side mount by Firestik that I will placing the rear door. Now if I could just figure out the best spot for the CB LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I have a CB that I only use when I go to Moab so I wanted to install it so it could be removed and you would never know that it was there. I ended up mounting mine on the passenger side of the center console using the stock screw holes that hold the center console in. I fabricated a mount for the mic that I install on the dash on the right side of the steering wheel, again using stock screw holes that hold the dash on. It all works out very well. I have pictures in my gallery, but I can't seem to link them to this post.

I mounted my antennae to my roof rack and then ran the cable in through the back door by just shutting the door on it. The weather stripping deforms enough so the cable doesn't get pinched. Once the cable is inside I ran it behind the interior panels in the cargo area to just behind the passenger door. From there it runs under the carpet under the passenger seat and then under the carpet along the trans tunnel where it daylights behind the center console and plugs into the back of the CB. When the CB is out of the car I coil the cable up behind the center console at the front and behind the cargo area interior panel so you don't see anything.

That might be 1,000 words, but pictures would sure help.

I have seen a couple of VXers mount their CB antennae's to their back doors using this mount: https://www.rightchannelradios.com/p...annel-radios-1 If you are squeamish about drilling through you cladding or sheet metal this might not be the best option for you. I'm sure that I could find some pictures for you, but apparently I wouldn't be able to link them here anyway.
    I just ordered that mount! LOL! Sorry, I didn’t see that you had posted before I typed out my reply!

"Great minds think alike" as they say.

If you are interested I can try to get some pictures of my CB install on the passenger side of the center console posted up here. They way you can rule that location out if it doesn't aesthetically work for you.

No rush, the mount wont be here until the around 27th, but I would appreciate it.

Yay! My FireStik side mount arrived today! I will try to get the CB and antenna installed this weekend. I do have a 24 hour shift on Friday but Saturday or Sunday should be good.

Yay! Another small victory in the build. My Curt Hitch has finally shipped and should be here by Friday. I am going to have one busy weekend. LOL!

Completed my CB Radio install. Yay! Another thing off the list. No pictures yet, it got dark before I finished. I will get some hopefully tomorrow.