Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Project VXOverLand

There's a guy on here who did his in line-x in a sand color. IMHO, earth tones work better for flat finishes. If you want a gloss/shiny finish like OEM paint, then I'd probably stick to a JDM color option.

reposted:

(someday) I'm going to go with something close to the 2nd one down on the right, 2nd page; something grape to match my seat covers & stuff.

I can't see Line-X as a viable option. Maybe for the cladding, maybe. Honestly though I am not a fan of "cover everything" in Line-X. Sure it's strong and all that, but when it does get damaged repairs are so much more complicated, and expensive. It also adds a lot of unnecessary weight to the vehicle. Line-X is heavy when done correctly, and if you go thinner to save weight you are sacrificing protection. I am going to stick with enamel paint and clear coat. Body work isn't hard to do at home.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

No additional work today. I still need to finish removing this flaky vinyl wrap from the roof and grill insert. I also still need to source the lower window trim piece for the passenger side door. So far i have had to two site tell me it is unavailable. I may have to look at buying an entire door just to get the piece, though I dont want to spend that kind of money for just the trim piece.

For the most part, the paint under the wrap isn't terrible, except where it is. The side badge locations look like a power sander was taken to it, and they didn't even do that part right. Still, the metal is mostly strait and I am confident that I can repair the damage myself. I am hoping to finish the wrap removal this weekend as I continue to search for my missing trip piece. Tomorrow I go get the title transferred and get some plates for it. If I can get the wrap off the roof at least once i have plates I can take it for a full service.

That's the plan anyway.... we shall see ...

Got an order in on a thrid site ... fingers crossed ...

I'll make a deal with you. If you can find someone who will cover your armrest with the seat-cover fabric I have from WO, I'll GIVE you my armrest free. Mine's minty.

??? Not sure what you are proposing here.

Anyway, just got done fixing the driver door. It didn't open from the outside as the little plastic clip at the end of the metal arm had a broken tab. Removed the clip and one tiny zip tie and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    I'll make a deal with you. If you can find someone who will cover your armrest with the seat-cover fabric I have from WO, I'll GIVE you my armrest free. Mine's minty.
    Had to re-read that a couple of times, but I see what you are saying. I'll see what I can do.

Guess I wasn't clear. I want an armrest that matches my seats. I have fabric. I don't have any leads on upholstery shops. So if you can figure out how to "git r' done", and get your cracked one recovered, I'll be happy to swap you my good one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ipd For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (07/07/2017)

I am finding with owning a VX, there seems to be a lot of "git r' done" moments. LOL!

ACE Hardware can make keys! Took them forever to find the blank, ended up being called a GM something or other. Anyway, the tip of the day is, the blank is number B65P at my local hardware store.

wow. I just took my key in to ACE and they had it right there. Odd.

Does the remote locks work?

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    wow. I just took my key in to ACE and they had it right there. Odd.

Does the remote locks work?
    I don't have a Key Fob for it. I found some on eBay, but I am not sure which one to get.

Since I don't want to wait 2+ months to order a new weather strip I have decided to make one.

I started with a piece of 3/4" X 48" aluminum angle. Cut to length, then notched the ends.Then I put it in a vice and squeezed it to a tighter angle than 45 degrees. Took out ot the VX to curve of the window correct. It actually fits really well. Now I just need to cover it. I have been playing with this stuff called Flex Seal. Horrible stuff. Comes out all bubbly, goes everywhere, and is a real pain to clean up. After it sets up I am probably going to peal it off and try something else. Maybe plasti-dip, not sure yet.

Holy cow I am finally done with the damn vinyl wrap! After this I am never going to wrap a vehicle. Ever! Now I need to remove all the glue spots and give the VX a good wash to start prepping for paint.