Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Project VXOverLand

See if you can find generic weather stripping at an auto store or at home depot. Then superglue/rivet/affix to your aluminum strip. A left-field idea would be to see if you can find a different vehicle with the same wether-stripping length, and see if you can retrofit said weatherstripping onto your vx.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    See if you can find generic weather stripping at an auto store or at home depot. Then superglue/rivet/affix to your aluminum strip. A left-field idea would be to see if you can find a different vehicle with the same wether-stripping length, and see if you can retrofit said weatherstripping onto your vx.
    Agreed. I am sure there is a some model of GM that uses t he same piece. This is turning out harder than I though it would. The devil is always in the details! LOL! Oh, btw, stay away from Flex Seal! I am stil cleaning this stuff off of my hands! LOL!

Spent last night getting the vinyl wrap off, now that's the sun is up, time for pics! (Status pic on post #1 updated)

http://imgur.com/6Kn8hGI.jpg
    http://imgur.com/XwN6yA4.jpg

Those are the glue residue left behind after the wrap was removed. It is seriously all over the VX. The only way to keep the vinyl from breaking into a billion tiny pieces was to get it so hot that it nearly melted and pull as fast as I could. Unfortunately this glue was left behind no matter what I did. Impact areas (front of hood, front of roof, etc...) seemed as thgough the wrap was imbedded in the paint. Spent enormous amounts of time working spots of vinyl about the size of a ball on a ball-point pen. Time for acetone!

I work nights, and my wife has had a friend staying with us for the last few days, so I am hoping to be able to get plates on the VX tomorrow.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

honestly, I don't think anything out there uses the same small-stuff as the VX. GM had very little to say about the VX's origins. Maybe something in the Isuzu parts bin, but I'm not optimistic.

Honetsly neither am I. But work must progress either way.

So, I am reconsidering the whole bed liner thing. I seen one that was done very well in a very nice blue color. It wasn't even an extreme color, it just look ok.

http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

I ordered some paint chips, they are free, any ideas for a color?

So, first real test drive. I got plates! Finally. Total distance 2.3 miles. The first half mile was to the gas station as the tank was on empty. I put in premium and a bottle of injector cleaner. It looks like the previous owner knew nothing about proper car care.

On that subject, it seams I have a drivers side, front, break caliper dragging. Yay ... one more thing to the list! LOL!

Aside from the breaks, I did get a DIY window trim solution completed.

I started with this stuff: http://i.imgur.com/c7Qcou0.jpg

9 feet long for ~$6 at Lowes. When you take it our of the package, it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/AVs1PLA.jpg

It was the edge at the top I wanted. I measured a section for length, and notched it out the same way I did the aluminum angle piece I was playing with the first time. Once I had a good fit, I layed it out flat and cut the top section off measuring 7/8" from the flattened edge. I then secured it with a very tiny ammount of gorilla glue. Not the best solution, but it will work until the OEM piece arrives from Japan.

A couple of shots from the outside:
    http://i.imgur.com/11WqBNj.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/sH4PujU.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/5APijx8.jpg

And one from the inside:
    http://i.imgur.com/TfTKr7N.jpg

Been a busy day for a guy who works night shift. With that, I am off to bed and I will try to not dream of how big of an issue the breaks may actually be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thelgord For This Useful Post:

ipd (07/10/2017)

Looks good. I knew you could come up with something.

I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes. pads and most of it is from troopers. probably also 100% compatible with passports. Flush it, bleed it, resurface/replace rotors, new pads, and it should work like a champ--unless the booster is shot or the lines need replaced.

Break parts will run just under $100, so I have to wait until after payday. Budgets ... meh. In the meantime I can work on other issues that still need resolving. Like the drivers seat thread breaking, removing the glue left behind from the vinyl wrap, cleaning up wiring wiring issues, things like that. I can also work on the passenger window, which should just need greeted up. It is starting to get a little wobbly when rolling it up.

I haven't found much data on hot application vs cold application liner/protectant. I like what monsta's own website says--but that's usually marketing fluff.

My impression is that hot application tends to wear better & last longer than cold application, and is more resistant to temperature extremes.

So as it turns out, breaks are fine actually. I was digging through the repair manual and found a page discussing the issue. So, following the manual, I cleaned the rotor with break fluid, started the engine (no idea why this is impoortant, but the book said so), pumped the break a few times, worked the e-break a few times, then, I was supposed to be on a lift and spin the wheel, but since I was on a small incline I just put it in neutral and let it roll back. It did move at first, then I repeated the process while in neutral. About the second actuation of the e-brake, the caliper popped free and the VX started to roll down hill. I stopped it (with the break), put it back in park and did the entire procress (including more break cleaner) three more times. Breaks are working fine now.

So relieved! That saved me almost $100.

While I did confirm the breaks works normally now, I still have an unidentified groan. I am fairly certain it is the transmission. When I got the VX, it was nearly completely out of fluid. I am thinking that after my little test drive, it pulled more fluid into the internals and i may be low on fluid again.

The groan only happens when applying power to the VX, and while in gear. Groan increases with petal travel, even if I am stopped and holding the break. I think this weekend (it is not yet a daily driver, to many issues still), I will check the fluid again.

Just got an email from isuzupartscenter.com, which is actually Jack Miller Kia Isuzu out of North Kansas City, Missouri, they processed my order for window trim! $70.92 for part #0972217290 - Seal; Waist, Front. That's a bit 'o chash for what seems like a minor piece, but I need to get this project done right.

A couple of posts back I mentioned a door handle clip being broken. I could order one of those as well, but I really don't to spend $45 on a plastic clip that is a bit larger than a nickel. I still have the original (minus one tab) and I have found a website that can 3D print custom items, even one-off's. Now I just need to learn google sketchup to create the file they will need. I have also heard rumors that my local library (brand new and opens in a month or so) will also have 3D printers for use, so I may wait a while and see if that turn out to be true before ordering online.

I also ordered an OBD2 reader from amazon that uses an app and Bluetooth. It says it can reset check engine lights and read everything. I installed the app, it asked for a vehicle vin and downloaded all of the OEM codes for the VX! Once I get the reader I will let you know how well it works, if it works.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Thelgord For This Useful Post:

ipd (07/13/2017)

check and see if they can 3/d print you spare cover knobs too.

For the door locks?

no, for the hatch.