Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Project VXOverLand

I hear you. I still have to go back and re-center my steering wheel, and then get the OBD code diagnosed. With the limited number of people in the VX community, the limited number of those who have actually done a JDM steering-wheel swap (not to mention the lack of people on this forum), it's quite literally a pick-up game trying to figure any of this out.

It would be great if someone knew if this was a normal thing, or if I had a bad clockspring. Oh well. Uncharted territory here we all go.

Some would say it’s all part of the fun I think owning a VX is a disease, or at least an addiction. **scratches arm** hey man, got any of dose jdm parts ... LOL!
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

So, my caliper was seized up. Had to use a large hammer to get the guide pins out. On the way to auto zone to get a new one. Web sites says it’s in stock.

I decided to go ahead and change out both of the front calipers, and new brake pads. The passenger side pads were toast, which were new as of September of last year. Fortunately I didn’t warp my rotor. While drivers side pads looks mostly ok, I upgraded the brake pads from the cheap ones I initially purchased just to the VX running again to ceramic pads. The drive is noticeably better as is stopping.

When I got the VX last year, I just needed to get it drivable, mostly. The passenger side caliper was seized and I broke it free thinking I could save it. I did, sort of, kind of, maybe ... It did (almost) last a year before I died again. While the driver side caliper seemed fine I decided to change it out anyway. It’s really not a hard job, just takes a bit of time.

Personally I am glad it was the brake caliper on the wheel bearings. I really didn’t want to dig into all of that on my one rare day off (I have been working a lot lately as well as taking collage classes). I am just glad I can drive my VX again, and I can give the wife her car back.

With that problem sorted, I can get back to working on installing upgrades.

I refuse to use anything but ceramic pads these days. Doesn't matter if it's the VX or anything else. TOo bad I don't see a "thumbs up" button on the new forum.

There is a new forum?

I mean the new format here. It's one of several things I'm not keen on.

I haven’t noticed any changes, then again I am on mobile devices most of the time.

It definitely feels like this site is now100% made for mobile devices. It has that Windows 8.0" feel to it.

Hahahaha!

Super busy day today!

I started the day by realizing that I had managed to lose the lug nut “key” for my VX. I went to pull-a-part and just got 4 more regular lug nuts and will have the my local tire shop remove the keyed lugs. As it turns out, I went all the way to Charlotte, NC without it. Glad the VX did well.

While at Pull-A-Part, I managed to get the bolts I needed for my Trooper Tire Carrier so I can mount a full size spare. I still don’t have a fifth wheel to actually mount yet, but the parts are coming together.

I also got a brush gaurd for $40! YAY!!!!!

The brush gaurd has a substantial amount of surface rust, but nothing really penetrating. This will require a more than little clean up. I also need to find a way to restore the rubber “bumper” strips that face forward. All in good time. It came from a 1995 Ford Explorer. There was a perfect condition chrome one on another explorer, but someone was already on that one. Not really sure I would have wanted the chrome one anyway as I don’t really like the whole “bling” look.

After a really quick test fit, which mostly consisted of me holding the brush gaurd up to the VX, the angles are a perfect fit! However, there is ALWAYS a “however”, the mounts to the frame are far to narrow, and it would make the gaurd sit far too low. Damn it ...

But wait! There’s more!

As it turns out, I can mount the brush gaurd mounting plates to the base of the winch plate and get a perfect fit. Not exactly an ideal location, but the entire winch mount is made from steel plate, square tube, and C-Channel that are all 1/4” thick. I am sure it can handle the additional 40 or so pounds of the gaurd considering I saved almost that much when I switched from steel cable to synthetic line on the winch. There is more welding in my future.

Who knows, I may use this as a base to build out an entire bumper. That could work well I think

Good luck!

I'm set on having more of a rock bumper than a brush guard...but since no one ever made one for the VX, no one sells them, and I don't have fabrication skills...OEM is how I have to roll.

Talk to Joe Birch, don’t know his handle here. He found a way to use a Toyota bumper, but it did take a little welding.

Jo (jophotoz) is the guy who found my VX and helped me get it. I love his mods. That said, I was hoping for something to flow more with stock lines. Like this one, which has a more "curved" appearance than a lot of the angular, beefy styles that are on the market today.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/44...ad-Bumper.html

That actually wouldn’t be hard to fab, provided you had a tube bender and some practice. There is also a specialized tool to make those holes recessed. To do it DIY it would cost you more than to pay someone else just in getting the tools needed.

But once you have them, you have them