Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I maybe .. just maybe ... might be getting a Vehicross

I maybe .. just maybe ... might be getting a Vehicross

After ponder this question for a very long time, I might be getting a Vehicross. I joined this forum a couple of years ago (JAN of 2015) looking for advice on the question of "if" I should get a Vehicross or keep my Tacoma. I decided then that to keep the Tacoma and moved on. But I always held out hope of one day getting a VX. I think I may have found one.

I was living in Colorado at the time, and now I live in Georgia. The Army is great about moving me around. Anywho, I have done as much I care to with the Tacoma without affecting resale value. However, what I want (really) is something I can have fun with without worrying about scratching the paint. Not that I dive vehicles offroad hard (I am getting to old for that anyway), but something I can enjoy taking out and not worrying too much about scratches from brush and the like. Oh, and I am keeping the Tacoma as well.

I have a line on a VX for $3995 at a dealership that isn't local. The dealer says it runs great, but they always say that. After looking up the vin, it would appear the electric windows have an issue of coming off track and more importantly, the engine was seized at least once back in 2006 when the motor lost all of its oil. I will be contacting the dealer on Monday morning for more info. I want to know if it the original motor was rebuilt or a replacement was found. I am thinking I may be able to use this to get the price even lower. As this is also a "project car", it really doesn't matter to me, but if I can make the dealer think that I think it matters, it may save me some money. We shall see.

Of course, the most important thing is that the wife is finally on board with the idea of a project vehicle since it was also her that convinced me to be more ... conservative ... when modifying the Tacoma. Really I am glad she did. It is a great vehicle, but not something that I want to modify too much.

Anyway, if this works out, what other questions should I be looking to ask about a VX before I buy? Thanks for any replies!

Where in GA? I"m in Warner Robins.

I'd see if you can find someone in the local area who IS a VX owner, or has owned one in the past--who can kick the tires for you. All VX's have the window issue. SBC still sells brackets for fixing this--so buy those & do the repair work yourself; problem solved. It they found a replacement (i.e. used) engine, lord only knows what condition it's in. It might even be a 3.2L instead of the 3.5L. A rebuilt engine isn't a bad thing at all. I'm almost positive mine had the engine rebuilt before I got it. It also doesn't burn a lick of oil--which is HIGHLY uncommon for the VX. I'd wager that they used updated internals to fix the burn issue.

This website has a lot of good info on what to look for (problem wise) on a VX. Some of the high points are rust (look at the condition of the crash bars as an indicator). ABS module inop. TOD not working properly (sometimes it's as simple as a fluid flush). Backlash adjustment (worm gears...of which I know very little about). U-Joints & bearings for the driveshaft (happens with all vehicles with age). Wet carpet (multiple causes--sometimes age related). Inside door handles splitting (poor design). Worn leather (all vehicles).

Let me know if I can help in any way. I highly recommend tint--especially on the hatch & rear windows. 20% will greatly reduce sun damage.

I can't find it right now but VX Kat has put together an extensive list of things to review when buying a VX. Hopefully she will see this and chime in.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    Where in GA? I"m in Warner Robins.
    Currently in Harlem, GA, not too far from you.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    I'd see if you can find someone in the local area who IS a VX owner, or has owned one in the past--who can kick the tires for you. All VX's have the window issue. SBC still sells brackets for fixing this--so buy those & do the repair work yourself; problem solved. It they found a replacement (i.e. used) engine, lord only knows what condition it's in. It might even be a 3.2L instead of the 3.5L. A rebuilt engine isn't a bad thing at all. I'm almost positive mine had the engine rebuilt before I got it. It also doesn't burn a lick of oil--which is HIGHLY uncommon for the VX. I'd wager that they used updated internals to fix the burn issue.

This website has a lot of good info on what to look for (problem wise) on a VX. Some of the high points are rust (look at the condition of the crash bars as an indicator). ABS module inop. TOD not working properly (sometimes it's as simple as a fluid flush). Backlash adjustment (worm gears...of which I know very little about). U-Joints & bearings for the driveshaft (happens with all vehicles with age). Wet carpet (multiple causes--sometimes age related). Inside door handles splitting (poor design). Worn leather (all vehicles).

Let me know if I can help in any way. I highly recommend tint--especially on the hatch & rear windows. 20% will greatly reduce sun damage.
    Thanks for the info! I am aware of the issues with the window, I have been researching this buy for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I can't find it right now but VX Kat has put together an extensive list of things to review when buying a VX. Hopefully she will see this and chime in.
    That would be very helpful! Thanks!

For an update, the original deal fell through, someone else beat me to the punch. Oh well, let the hunt continue!

I found a few for sale on AutoTrader dot com. So far the only response back I have gotten is from a private seller (Florida) who is not acting like we wants to sell very bad. Understandable, I have wanted one since I first learned of there existence, which was actually in 2014. The paint could be bad, but the images are very small. Also lists a host of other issues, so I may just drop this one and look elsewhere.

adhuntr.com It won't find every listing...but it will usually pull a lot more from craigslist than you might otherwise find.

Thanks! I found one on a FB group for $5500 by Joe Darlington. However, it has been extensively modified. TOD removed, Regular T-Case installed, Aussie Lockers, Lift and more. Kinda sounds great, but maybe not. Don't know yet. I have messaged him for more info, but I generally don't look for vehicles with heavy modifications already installed. From the images though, it looks like it was well maintained even if it was driven hard.

From what I have read about the TOD system, when in 4LOW the front end is fully engaged until you switch back to high range, then you are back in TOD mode. I think I would have prefered a selectable locker in the front that is wired through the transfer case selector switch so it could only be engaged in 4Low. That would allow me to keep the TOD and really, if you need a front locker engaged you are probably going to need 4Low as well.

If you'd like to drive or get a feel for a stock VX, you can come take mine for a spin. That might give you a better feel for what you'd like to have done.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ipd For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (06/27/2017)

Appreciate the offer. I am currently in the Agusta, GA area. Not sure how from you that is.

Like I said, I'm in Warner Robins. Don't think you'll probably find any VX owners closer...at least not that actually are active in the community. I saw a Proton one in W-R a month or so ago (posted it on here) but never heard a peep out of whomever it was.

That's about 2.5 hours from me. I could do that. This site does seem a little slow compared to when I first discovered it a couple years ago. Maybe more advertising is needed LOL!

Thelgord, what are you willing to spend? Can you give me a good window of price scale and exactly what you are looking for, and NOT looking for?
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by Thelgord View Post
    That's about 2.5 hours from me. I could do that. This site does seem a little slow compared to when I first discovered it a couple years ago. Maybe more advertising is needed LOL!
    It's not advertising. There's still a few back-end bugs it has. But the biggest problem is that FB is killing off car communities one by one--and this is no exception. FB sucks for technical knowledge; whereas this site is great. I see the same death knell on my other car's forum too.

Couple that with the fact that <6000 were ever made, and you have an impossibly small community with aging vehicles & an unknown number of copies of said vehicle still remaining. Oh, and younger people are too scatterbrained & have no attention spans--to ever want or enjoy older vehicles.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ipd For This Useful Post:

arcobarco (06/30/2017)