Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I maybe .. just maybe ... might be getting a Vehicross

Quote Originally Posted by Thelgord View Post
    Appreciate the offer. I am currently in the Agusta, GA area. Not sure how from you that is.
    Speaking of offers, if you happen to end up with any extra Augusta National Masters tickets in the future that you just can't find a use for, just let me know and I'll be happy to offer a self-addressed stamped envelope for your mailing pleasure.

I made a post about what I as looking for here: http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...Looking-to-buy

Basically, I really like the "rally" concept style of this vehicle. I am not looking for a rock crawler. I think the VX does fine off-road stock, but could use some upgrades. So, if I started with a stock VX I would do the following mods:

• All Terrain Tires (simple and cheap)
    • Rear selectable locker (not the Aussie Locker)
    • Front selectable locker wired through the transfer case selector switch for 4LOW use only
    • Front winch mount (hidden winch maybe?)
    • Maybe an off-road bumper, maybe just a brush gaurd (probably the latter)
    • A couple of radios (CB/GMRS) mounted inside
    • Rock Sliders
    • Skid Plate
    • Clutch Fan interrupt switch (keep the fan off durring water crossings to prevent breaking it)

Things I would keep stock:
    • TOD (really what is a VX without it?)
    • Ride Hight (seems to be just fine the way it is but go up 1-2 inches)
    • Most of the interior
    • Engine (should the Cummins R2 not work out)
    • Most of the electrical system (seriously, I hate chasing custom wiring and am a big believer in using aux fuse boxes to keep accessories as separate from OEM wiring as possible)

I have also been emailing back and forth with Cummins about their R2 repower program. So far things are looking favorable for the VX when it becomes available later this year. The real trick is keeping the TOD working after the engine swap, I may have to pay for some technician time (probably not cheap) but they seem confident they can keep it working. Also, just in case they can actually make it work, it will only be emissions compliment up to model year 1999 (for now), so there is that. Though you could put it in a new vehicle and just register in an area without emissions restrictions. The main reason for this is with a 22.5 gallon tank it works out to around a 600 mile highway range after the diesel swap. If you you fill up before empty (say you put in around 17 gallons each time) it still works out to a 500+ range.

The intended use case for a VX, if I can ever get one, is daily driver/adventure vehicle. I am sure you have heard the term overlanding. I have been doing that my whole life, long before the term became popular. The longest trip I have taken so far is a month long back country exploration from Colorado across Kanasas that ended in Kentucky that I did in my '13 Tacoma. The down side to the Tacoma is total cost of ownership. These things are uber expensive. Yes, there is massive after market support, but that doesn't make it cost any less. Basically the $500+/month payment is killing my adventure budget.

I had a buddy who was going to buy my Tacoma, but he didn't pass credit for the car note so the bank said no. I am thinking I will porobably need to go through a dealer to off-load the Tacoma so I can get a VX. I was going to keep the Tacoma, but the math in the budget just doesn't work as well as I would like if I do. Needs change, priorities change, life changes. It just happens.

As for budget, I am suprised that KBB list them for so much lower than most people seem to be asking. Of course, a lot of those have been "asking" for months without actually selling. I would like to keep it under $5k but could go higher. At that price range I could buy a VX before waiting to off-load the Tacoma. Above that my household budget starts getting too thin for my liking. If can get one for say $4500-5000 then I can make sure it is mechanically sound before dropping the Tacoma.

As for Masters tickets, I actually hate master week. Jams up traffic all over town. Most locals treat it like a blizzard. Stock up on supplies and only go out when absolutely necessary LOL!

Yeah, apart from perhaps the increased fuel economy...i can't think of any reason to go with an engine that will require custom work to even fit/operate--and then offer less power (if i'm reading those stats correctly).

Personally, I would probably go with a roof-rack & some 5 gal cans over swapping out the engine...but that's just me.

KBB has NO idea when it comes to vehicles that are nearing collector car status. There are certainly some that are worth 8k. there are others that would be overpaying at 4k. These are so old now that there's a LOT of variation between examples--because of multiple owners.

As far as sliders/brush guard--plenty have done it. Jo's is probably the gold-standard, imho. Keep in mind that any change to the rear end gear ratio is going to worsen fuel economy--but it is quite popular of a swap.

I plan to keep the gears stock, and the tire size, maybe go to a 31" maybe, but mostly the same size.

Oh, and the diesel will give me much better fuel economy when towing. Something I actually do fairly regularly.

Not sure if you have driven a small turbo diesel off-road, in my experience they far outclass petrol engines, especially on technical obstacles.

Gotcha. Went back and looked at your original thread. On the same page now.

You have lots of drive and determination, not to mention project plans. Admirable. Sadly, it sounds like mine would be out of your price range and probably too far away. I've been keeping my eyes out for a very driven purchaser who could baby the hell out of mine, but I don't openly advertise, heh.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WormGod For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (06/29/2017)

I am actually negotiating with a seller as I type this. Car is a decent shape, except the tranny started to slip so he parked it. Got him down to 1800. Body and motor are in good shape, but it will have to trailered from Virginia. Waiting on the call back from the bank. Should be another couple hours. Most tranny slips are caused by fluid/filter issues, so there is a good chance no major damage has been done to it. Even if there is, a rebuild kit is under $300.

The paint should be in good condition. It was vinyl wrapped some god awful carbon fiber pattern. As long as the paint was good when he wrapped it, should still be in good shape. In theory anyway.

I should probably note that this VX is going to be a small mountain of work. I know it is. It is 18 years old, has a slipping transmission, interior needs a complete make over, and who knows what else. That is even before I start the transformation.

Fortunately I know my way around a tool box, I can weld (even sheet metal), I am satellite technician so wiring/electronics is no issue (though I don't yet know enough specifics about the VX), and, probably most importantly, I have a vision for what I want this to be and a plan to get it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelgord View Post
    As for Masters tickets, I actually hate master week. Jams up traffic all over town. Most locals treat it like a blizzard. Stock up on supplies and only go out when absolutely necessary LOL!
    I hear that. I just happen to live in a part of the country that's going to offer optimum viewing for this years total solar eclipse.

Most surrounding towns have been planning festivals/viewings for the last couple of years for people visiting for the event from different parts of the country/world.

I'll likely just drive out in the middle of the country and find a nice isolated spot, I just hope I don't wake up that day and find a bunch of "new" tents in my back yard.

As far as the Masters tickets go, I'd be willing to fight the crowds once anyway if I had the opportunity. After that, I'd likely just go back to watching it on tv. I say that because of the Indy 500 experience I had a few years back. My brother won free tickets, so we went...and the crowds/drunks SUCKED! Never again. You get better, more complete views and descriptions of the relevant action on tv anyway...although admittedly...as far as the Indy 500 goes, it could have just been the associated demographics, because we also went to Indy for the first US Formula One race in 2000 and it was an ENTIRELY different atmosphere.

I'm serious about Masters tickets though. If you or anyone you know in Augusta acquires tickets in the future and either can't or have no interest in going, I'd appreciate you keeping me in mind.

I did it! After a 7 hour drive (thank you North Carolina for the 20+ mile stretch of construction) I purchased my first VX, #0209! I then had to trailer it back to Georgia, and did it all in just under 22 hours. Talk about a long day! Totally worth it. I didn't drive the whole thing solo, my wife and switched out and we napped along the way.

It has a few issues, some could be a problem.

• Still has original shocks from 1999. Those need to get replaced.
    • No stereo, or speakers, or speaker wire that I can see.
    • Wiring seems functional, but is a complete train wreck to look at, so mostly mostly just clean up there.
    • Front driver fender is going to need replaced. It is intact, just has a 2 foot long crush dent down the top that I am fairly certain I cannot repair. There is one spot were the metal creased, so I am not sure a shop couldn't do it without quite a bit of bondo work either.
    • Transmision (reason I had to trailer it). There is enough issues that I will probably need to create it's own thread. Grinding noise when engaging from park. 1st gear slips. Honestly, sounds very dry. I will drop the pans, change the gaskets, filter and fluids, and put some Lucas treatment in at and see if that works before getting a rebuild kit.

It is however, mostly rust free and the engine seems strong with little smoke (a little is expected after sitting for a few months). Just surface rust on the underside that I can clean up with some time and elbow grease. The steering is also strait and has decent tires, but they are unmatched. The little I did work the transmission (loading and unloading from the trailer) the TOD did engage, so that seems to be working well.

I got it for only $1800! Well, $2150 if you add the trailer and gas to go get it, but still! I think I got a great deal, even if I do end up getting the transmission rebuilt. Let the games begin! Hehehehe.

As for master tickets, if I should come across some (it has happened before) I will post here on forums before I give the next ones away. Last year I ended up with four that I gave away.

Congratulations on your purchase.
    Don't write the original shocks off just due to age. I still have the originals on my 1997 VX. 150k on the clock.
    Test them for rebound etc, and if they are bad have them rebuilt. There are no after market ones that give the same stiff ride which is necessary to get the road handling that makes the VX so much fun to drive.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Thanks!

Just spent the day trying to remove the carbon fiber wrap. What a PITA! It should have come off a long time ago. Now it is just brittle and keeps breaking into tiny pieces. It's like disassembling a puzzle one piece at a time, after it was glued to a table. The hair dry helps, but it is still too brittle to take off in large pieces. I did get the drivers door, drivers rear quarter panel, and rear door done before it got dark though. The paint ... well it need a paint job. I can see why it was wrapped now that I am removing it.

Oh! BTW! Cool story on the way home with the VX. I had it on the trailer and my wife and I had stopped at a truck stop in NC to let the dogs out and get some drinks. There were a group of 8-10 younger people, probably 16-19 years old, and there gathering of 6 jeeps. When they left, one of the jeepers and his (i assume) girlfriend pulled around instead of heading out with the rest and did a slow drive by of the VX. The girl was yelling at him to stop so he did. I just let them gawk at it as they didn't stay but a few moments, but I think she may have found something she wanted in her future.

The also begs the question, did I buy a chick car? LOL!

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Congrats on the buy! The first taste is free as they say.
    My VX was a basket case when I first got it too. I had a plan though and the first things I did was to swap to a 5 speed since the trans was slipping but I kept TOD which makes a very nice combo. Put on some 31 inch tires. Third and fourth I pulled all the cladding off, had it Line-x'd and the body painted. At this point I had a reasonably "Kick ***" ride. And I paid almost double what you did as an entry fee so good on you! Let the mods begin, Lady and Gentlemen open your wallets!
    There's no 'I' in denial.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bartmanS4 For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (07/01/2017)