Thread: Cummins Repower Question

Cummins Repower Question

For those that are interested, the Cummins Repower program is gearing up for a start. https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

2.8L Turbo Diesel conversion. They currently have 25 on the road for testing, and is meant for "older vehicles". Pre-2007 I think.

Would this engine fit in a VX?

I'm sure it would. Probably any 4 cylinder would fit in the VX. The issue is you'd be losing the TOD and AWD. To me, that's the #1 issue why an engine-swapped VX doesn't make sense (unless it's an extreme case, like a front-crashed VX being rebuilt with a tube-frame or something like that). Plenty of "me-too" RWD off-road vehicles around already.

Now that doesn't mean you can't make the AWD work with another engine (no comments on the TOD), but keep in mind that at a minimum, you're going to need a custom bell-housing or adapter collar to mate it. And that's usually a 1-off type thing & prohibitively expensive...unless you've got access to your own billet machining tool.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ipd For This Useful Post:

Thelgord (06/26/2017)

I don't see why you couldn't get TOD to work. The R2 engine uses OBD (not OBD2) and CAN BUS, the same system that's in the VX. All you need is a way to get the engine speed sensor and throttle position sensor to talk to the computer. Might take some doing, but I think it would be possible.

Your probably correct about the adapter plate. They are including a plate for older Jeep, Toyota, International, and a few others. Perhaps one of them is compatible? Don't know yet what all vehicles they are being offered for besides the 3 models they have already installed on for real world testing.

The closest you might be able to find is something that will bolt to a passport/rodeo transmission. In that case, it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    I'm sure it would. Probably any 4 cylinder would fit in the VX.
    An inline 4-cylinder has 4 cylinders in a row. The 6VE1 is only 3 "deep" on each side. I'd look at the dimensions to make sure 4 cylinders isn't "too deep" (long) for the engine bay. Plus, if converting to some other engine, who wouldn't want 6 cylinders and the most power for our 4kLB truck?
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Check out this video: https://youtu.be/Eo5OZELKaVw