Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spare? What Spare?

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753

Spare? What Spare?

Well Guys, I've been away from this forum and FB group for quite some time. This last year was one of the most difficult of my life and I just didn't have the energy or desire to keep up. I will try to keep plugged into the community a little better in the future. Anyway, I had planned on debuting this at Moab this year but I decided to go ahead and show it off a little early. Those of you who know Jon / VXorado and are familiar with his former rig know what this mod is about. It is basically fixing a design flaw of the stock VX to allow for a full size spare to be mounted to the rear door. A few people have done this using different methods but I always preferred the look of Jon's design.

WARNING: This is not for the faint of heart or the purest. Some readers may find the following post and photos disturbing so “Viewer discretion is advised”.

The pictures really tell the story. I not only had Jon's blessing to use "his" mod, I had his help too. Thanks Jon!

In the beginning God created 35's. and it was good.

Oh my...

Yikes!

Now the frame has been built and welded into place. 1" x 1" x 1/8" tubing.

https://b10pga.by3301.livefilestore....&cropmode=none

Now the Trooper spare holder has been added

Side View

Test fit. You reallt don't realize how big a 35 x 12.5 r15 is until you lift it up and bolt it to the back of your mini-SUV

Next I cut two half moonish pieces of aluminum diamond plate and coerced them into place. Then bolted them together and to the frame with the Trooper spare holder

Next I sealed everything up with black RTV and black expanding foam. You may also notice in this shot that I've re-purposed compressed air quick connects and there are some trailer wires here. What I have done is used the quick connects to attach my license plate frame and the trailer plug and an RCA jack to illuminate my plate and power my rear camera. All of this is easily removed to use the spare tire.

I will post some more pics when I get a chance.
    Hope you enjoyed this adventure.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    There's no 'I' in denial.

WARNING: This is not for the faint of heart or the purest. Some readers may find the following post and photos disturbing so “Viewer discretion is advised”.

I failed to comply with said warning.... I'm now weeping.

I will give you a participation trophy for ingenuity however. *wink*
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WormGod For This Useful Post:

Nikad92397 (04/12/2017)

Thanks for this post!

I too have larger tires and have seen this mod done. I was wondering how it was done and now I do! Thanks for posting the pictures. I might try and find a spare door so I can keep a stock one. :-)

I love it, we only live once and we should have fun with what we have why save it for people after we are gone. I am not disturbed by this cool mod, you on the other hand...

Scott that is beautiful! After seeing Jon's VX with this mod I have wanted to do this. Sadly school comes first. Great job! Can't wait to see you in a month. Cheers.

Why not take the opportunity to build a 15" sub into the inside of the door?

You really only need a 10" or a 12". The only reason I'd go with a 12" is that most play down to 20Hz. Lowest 10" I've seen worth a damn plays 25Hz. I had a Pioneer 10" that played 20Hz, but after blowing 2 in 2 months on pretty low/moderate use, I won't be using those again.

Door looks good, my man. Haven't heard from you since we met @ Moab last year. Glad you're back on track

*shrug*. I have a 10" Pioneer in a downfiring box & have had zero issues with it. It's wonderful. I'm not using it for DB drag racing though. I actually swear by Pioneer; and have used several of their 6.5" in a previous build & will be doing so again soon.

/derail

Looks like there's plenty of space on the inside of the door now though.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    You really only need a 10" or a 12". The only reason I'd go with a 12" is that most play down to 20Hz. Lowest 10" I've seen worth a damn plays 25Hz. I had a Pioneer 10" that played 20Hz, but after blowing 2 in 2 months on pretty low/moderate use, I won't be using those again.
    You know....They say a 20Hz sound wave needs something like 40ft to form. Inside a (small) vehicle, there isn't necessarily room to HEAR the lower frequencies. However, in my experience, you feel them...and their harmonics. I would also add that bigger and/or multiple drivers move more air. The more air you move, the greater the sonice "impact". IIRC, two 10's is about the same surface area as a 12...and two 12's is about the same as a 15". Part of it has to do with the suspension area of the cone too.

The choice of drivers kind of depends on how loud you roll; how much ear protection you want to wear; and/or how much hearing you want to have when you get older. Another choice depends on your desire/ability to hear emergency vehicles. That said, I like my loud music though I don't hit it in the car as much any more. Engines have become the outdoor "music to my ears".

As for the spare mod, I'm not sure I'm hep on the option to cut/pull it closer to the body. I think we've seen the door reinforced with the spare mounted ON (versus pushed back into) the rear door. Haven't we? When you own you own car, you get to do what you want. When you own a rare vehicle, I'd think more about resale. OTOH, we haven't seen much in the way of demand for rarity, have we?

I'm with the speaker comment. If you are going to mod the rear door, equip it with a sub. Hang the spare on the back w/o cutting into it seems more logical. But, I haven't seriously considered that option. So, I'm probably missing something?

Looks like a great job with internal structure welding/strengthening. I can appreciate a good work no matter what! :-)
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Nice, like it! Do you have any more pictures of the finished configuration (with the tire on and off) that you could post?

bump

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I'm currently traveling so I can't take any additional pictures but here are a couple more.

Hope this helps

GAWD i miss moab & Utah in general.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    I'm currently traveling so I can't take any additional pictures but here are a couple more.

Hope this helps
    I couldn't see the first images just yet. Some images just won't load on a government computer. (Your tax dollars hard at work) However, these did, and I REALLY like it! I will try again once I get home and maybe I can see exactly what is actually there.

Nice mod! Finally got to see all o the pics!