Well Guys, I've been away from this forum and FB group for quite some time. This last year was one of the most difficult of my life and I just didn't have the energy or desire to keep up. I will try to keep plugged into the community a little better in the future. Anyway, I had planned on debuting this at Moab this year but I decided to go ahead and show it off a little early. Those of you who know Jon / VXorado and are familiar with his former rig know what this mod is about. It is basically fixing a design flaw of the stock VX to allow for a full size spare to be mounted to the rear door. A few people have done this using different methods but I always preferred the look of Jon's design.

WARNING: This is not for the faint of heart or the purest. Some readers may find the following post and photos disturbing so “Viewer discretion is advised”.

The pictures really tell the story. I not only had Jon's blessing to use "his" mod, I had his help too. Thanks Jon!

In the beginning God created 35's. and it was good.

Oh my...

Yikes!

Now the frame has been built and welded into place. 1" x 1" x 1/8" tubing.

https://b10pga.by3301.livefilestore....&cropmode=none

Now the Trooper spare holder has been added

Side View

Test fit. You reallt don't realize how big a 35 x 12.5 r15 is until you lift it up and bolt it to the back of your mini-SUV

Next I cut two half moonish pieces of aluminum diamond plate and coerced them into place. Then bolted them together and to the frame with the Trooper spare holder

Next I sealed everything up with black RTV and black expanding foam. You may also notice in this shot that I've re-purposed compressed air quick connects and there are some trailer wires here. What I have done is used the quick connects to attach my license plate frame and the trailer plug and an RCA jack to illuminate my plate and power my rear camera. All of this is easily removed to use the spare tire.

I will post some more pics when I get a chance.
Hope you enjoyed this adventure.
Cheers,
Scott