At the risk of reviving an old topic, I have been reading about the AR5 conversions (particularly VT Maverick's swap) and I am definitely missing something in this... (and I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic, though relatively new to VX's and TOD in general).

So if our TOD system is computer controlled, how does using a computer from a standard transmission donor vehicle that did NOT have TOD possibly allow the TOD to remain functional in the AR5 swap? (I'm definitely missing the boat on understanding how this works...)

While I'm at it, I have a couple of other questions/observations from reading multiple threads and trying to sort this through.

The desired computer is a 1998 or 1999 or 2000(?) PCM from a standard transmission model Trooper, and located where??? (I've seen it recorded as both under the passenger seat - where apparently the VX PCM resides in model years 1999, and 2000 - and in the center console in front of the gear shift and under the stereo.) It also appears that it should have three plugs that sit side by side in a long row - a red, a white, and a blue/black. Not two long plugs that sit one on top of the other, as is the case of the ECM in the 2001 model year. Furthermore, it should have a label that actually states 3.5 AUTO or 3.5 MAN. (I haven't sourced part numbers yet - but if someone wants to chime in on those, I'd be happy to include them here...)

Is this JUST a PCM (or body control module, or whatever term you prefer to use) or is it the engine ECM as well? In other words, are they separate units, or are all functions incorporated into a single computer?

LOL - I'm sure my confusion is GROSSLY evident here - please help me sort this out!

And kudos to the guys that have done this - I particularly enjoyed VT Maverick's thread with the photos - VERY useful!
Currently sourcing parts and looking forward to doing this later this summer/fall...