Thread: Not enamored with my VX. Why?

Not enamored with my VX. Why?

Have been driving my VX full time now for a month or so and I have to say I'm disappointed. I'm not exactly sure why but I keep comparing it to my '98 ZJ 5.9 and I know that's not fair to the VX. While there is nothing inherently wrong with the VX I feel that it is underpowered, under represented in the after market area, expensive to maintain and fix and difficult to mod in any substantial way. It didn't seem to perform any better than my ZJ in the dunes and I'm starting to feel a bit cramped inside due to the lack of space. I purchased it because it was unique but since that has worn off I'm not sure I want to keep it. It's also heavier than my ZJ and to my knowledge can't be flat towed. I'm not looking for advice or input but more like positive experiences people have had with their VX. Mine has 213,000 so I know they can be dependable long lasting rigs but the inability to roll my drivers side window down is starting to aggravate me. lol

The VX design is more than a quarter century old.
    It's highly advanced styling is it's greatest attribute. It was the beginning of aggressive design, if you cannot love it for that fact alone then go back to your ZJ and concern yourself with driving performance, which by the way constantly gets obsoleted as time progresses.

It is aging and does need more care in some areas than other vehicles but that comes with a vehicle that was a limited production and with some specialty components.
    I did a lot of research and trial and error on the windows and found there may be a simple fix for most of the window issues, here is my findings if you have not seen it before.http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...ghlight=window

I also have a super modified car I customized to be a muscle car and a sports car wrapped in to the one car I always dreamed of having. It is low and tight, fast, flashy, mid engine and can do 0-60 in seconds, handles and stops better than most new cars. It is mostly unreliable and needs lots of care and maintenance but I would not trade it for a new Corvette or Porsche.

My VX is the other dream vehicle I always wanted for different reasons, but mostly because of its uniqueness , like my other ride, Ironically it has the same wheel base as my sports car but is different in almost all other ways, it does not need to be fast or the very best at 4 wheeling but it has a cool factor you are not likely to find in anything else. I enjoy my VX for so many reasons, I have fun driving around town and people still ask me what is is at least once a month, it is capable on and off road in all weather conditions.

I you are no longer feeling the love I am sure someone else will, I wrote this so you would think about the possibility of having seller remorse before you sell it and it happens. Maybe you can let it go and not regret it, I just wanted to put this all out there so you can think about it before you sell it and regret it.

Other rigs might be more reliable, more capable off road and easier to find parts for but I will be none of them have the cool factor of the VX, but that is just my opinion.

imho, no ZJ, TJ, XJ or even WJ can hold a candle to the VX. The 4.0L is piss, imho. 235 HP isn't earth-shattering, but it's sufficient, and more than the Jeep's of the same era. And there was a supercharger kit for it--though I don't want one. I prefer the AWD TOD. The "cramped" interior will be the same on any 2-door SUV; owning a 2-door wrangler would be little different in this aspect. Windows are a known problem, but as posted above, there's many writeups for it. I'm not modding mine--I've been there, done that with a sports car...and I'm just going to enjoy her as she is. I put larger tires/wheels & some nice cosmetic mods that really make the look "pop"--modernize it if you will.

Under-representation is a natural byproduct of having < 6,000 total production units. VX's make Mk IV Supras look common. To be fair though, the mechanical parts are all from the Trooper, so there is a larger support segment than the VX might otherwise have (apart from cosmetics, of course). And the lack of widespread distribution is one of the appealing factors--for me. Widespread aftermarket support or highly rare vehicle; pick one--you can't have both. I just drove 2100 miles from Utah to Georgia, and had zero issues with mine. Almost to 92k and buzzing along. I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China--but that's probably also because it looks VERY good now that I've tweaked a bit to its looks.

here's a few pics. i really need newer ones, since i've had it tinted & it looks even better now.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Love your dashmat...where did you get that one?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Dallas121469, if I was you I would sell it quick.
    The poor VX doesn't deserve an owner that doesn't appreciate it, and to even remotely compare it to a Jeep is a real insult.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

My story is similar to "Catfish". I also have a "frame-on" 1989 sports car restoration. I spent twice as much on restoration as it cost to BUY my VX in 2010. As such, you'd THINK I'd get more compliments and turned-heads for my sports car than my VX. NOT SO!!! The VX garners way more attention and curiosity.

I've owned my VX 6+ years and have rarely had to work on it. It's got half the miles of the OP but I've only had to do brakes (because I wanted drilled/slotted), one driveshaft (because the boot was torn when I bought it), and a u-joint. In reality, only the u-joint was necessary. 40k miles in 6 years without maintenance needs is pretty darn good for a 16yr-old 4x4. I owned a few Jeeps before the Vehicross but never enjoyed the uniqueness the VX provides.

There ARE limitations to the VX. Jeeps have more interior room, some can switch in/out of 4x4, and they have a plethora of aftermarket offerings. The question is whether you want to drive the path less traveled by -- and get noticed for it...or fit in with the crowd? If you prefer reliability and fitting in, I'm pretty sure the Jeep isn't your solution either. It's a Toyota. You know...boring, white, lifeless, grandma vehicle.

Sorry about that last comment -- especially to Toyota owners on this forum. And, my brother! LOL Seriously, not everyone is MEANT to be in love with every vehicle. I don't know how WELL your VX has been maintained? Maybe that's part of it? Creaky, old, poorly-maintained vehicles just aren't as impressive. Even it it drives as intended, I'll go back to it's uniqueness. I didn't buy it for it's off-road capability -- though I DID buy it to have a 4x4 for winter. I also bought it because it was about the only vehicle I could think of that would provide as much "SMILE" as my custom Corvette. One is nimble, fast, and sleek. The other is nimble, COOL, reliable, 4x4, and sleek.

Both cars I own don't have to be FAST!!! It's OK if one allows me to slow down and smell the roses! And, turn heads to boot!
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 89Vette For This Useful Post:

CatFish (04/02/2017)

Very well said 89Vette, I bought my VX because the first time I saw it I thought is was so cool and could not afford one at the time (too cheap to buy a new car) years later when I was looking for a replacement for my Trooper I remembered the VX I had wanted so bad back in 1999. This was 2010 and I mostly wanted to use as a cool winter 4x4 daily driver, So Looked for months to find the one owner low mileage VX when I found it I flew to CA and drove it back to CO. I have done many mods to it now, taken it on may overland trails and 4x4 off road adventures and love it more each day. I dislike most new cars and trucks, and the ones I do like cost 100k and up so being as cheap as I am and the fact the there is not a car or truck made that can hold a candle to the cool uniqueness of the VX, I am pretty sure I will have it until I die or it dies which ever comes first.

hexomats i got on ebay. light covers, vent guards & dashmat were from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the tail-light covers are out of stock. I bought brite-***-LED headlights so that they would shine better through the covers...and the net result is great--about the same as stock.

Look at it another way. Are you going to complain about owning a Victory--that the brand is now defunct & that the support for it is waning? Or are you just going to buy a "me-too" Harley Davidson & just blend in with the crowd? I mean, I've had a 3000GT for 10 years, and that car NEVER got the looks of the VX from passersby. And my 3000GT looked pretty damn nice--and is way more rare than a Camaro, Firebird or Corvette.

Expensive is relative. $2600 for a head gasket is expensive--but probably not too different from a lot of other similar repairs on other platforms. I can't even begin to explain how much coin I've dropped keeping my wife's Sonoma up to par.

Bottom line: The VX is an all-in deal. You have to love it. You have to want it. And if you're handy with a wrench, that's a major plus. They're not great for families--although the back seat is roomy; no 2-door anything is. And you just can't compare it to later-era vehicles. Compare it to a same-year Wrangler, and you'll see why the VX is so much better. Better power. TOD AWD. Competition-grade suspension. Premium Recaro seats. And a design that you don't see on every street corner. I lived in Utah for 1.5 years & never saw another one. I'm in Georgia now, and have yet to see another down here. And for 2100 miles in between, never saw another one. You'll never get this many compliments & rubbernecking in a Jeep though--I promise you that. Rabid Jeep fans might love your Jeep...but average joe won't know/care. But even average joe can see the VX is something to behold.

p.s.
    I also gotta ask what kind of mods your ZJ had that make it seem so great to you. Sure a lift & 35's may be some people's holy-grail for the VX, but even stock with a wheel/tire upgrade--it will off-road with the best of them. I honestly don't know that ANY stock production vehicle matched the VX's stock off-road capability for 10+ years.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ipd For This Useful Post:

CatFish (04/02/2017)