Thread: Possible fuel pump failure?

Wrench Possible fuel pump failure?

Hey everyone, just wanted to get thoughts on this before I start working.

Driving on highway last-night, suddenly cant accelerate. Hit gas, car bogs down. Eventually stalled out (fuel pressure dropping?). Wont re-start until sitting for a few minutes, runs rough at idle, then stalls out.

Got it towed home. From my experience this is most likely the fuel pump.

I've been noticing some odd behavior on start the last few weeks/months. Truck will start, but sputter and then finally hit a good idle. Now I am realizing this must have been the pump trying to reach and maintain pressure.

A few questions-

1. If fuel pressure is low will it throw a code? My check engine has always been on due to EGR, so I just leave it...
    2. It is my understanding that getting the tank out is a pain. I would much rather cut a hole in the floor as my interior is already completely stripped. Anyone have any idea where exactly to cut inside the cab so I can turn the piece I cut out into a hatch? (pictures would be sweet if anyone has them!)

Any help is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    Hey everyone, just wanted to get thoughts on this before I start working.

Driving on highway last-night, suddenly cant accelerate. Hit gas, car bogs down. Eventually stalled out (fuel pressure dropping?). Wont re-start until sitting for a few minutes, runs rough at idle, then stalls out.

Got it towed home. From my experience this is most likely the fuel pump.

I've been noticing some odd behavior on start the last few weeks/months. Truck will start, but sputter and then finally hit a good idle. Now I am realizing this must have been the pump trying to reach and maintain pressure.

A few questions-

1. If fuel pressure is low will it throw a code? My check engine has always been on due to EGR, so I just leave it...
    2. It is my understanding that getting the tank out is a pain. I would much rather cut a hole in the floor as my interior is already completely stripped. Anyone have any idea where exactly to cut inside the cab so I can turn the piece I cut out into a hatch? (pictures would be sweet if anyone has them!)

Any help is much appreciated!
    Before diving into the pump, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? I would start with that first since it's the easiest and cheapest to do of the two. Fyi, it's located under the passenger side near the frame rail. Good luck.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com