Thread: Transmission/transfer case issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Transmission/transfer case issue

Aloha all!

So. I've had my VX for about 6 months now. I don't think I've put 1000 miles on it yet - though I WANT to.
    Here's my current issue:

The truck starts and runs fine. In fact, I have NO complaints when its cold. But after it starts to warm up I start to get a problem. It first manifests as a rattle/buzzing feel/sound that comes up through the floorboards and pedals and feels a bit like a heat shield. It happens at two particular times - if I'm letting OFF the gas pedal to coast or perhaps decelerate (although if I brake, it almost immediately seems to go away) and when I go from coasting to accelerating, before i really have power transferring through the drivetrain - you know - that "back side of the power curve" spot.

Well, it gets more interesting. Occasionally I'll be cruising along in overdrive, and all of a sudden it will pop out of fear. Not the shift lever - that never moves. But the transmission will jump from overdrive to neutral. The only way I can get power back is to come to a complete stop, and then start out again. Sometimes it will shift back into overdrive again (until it pops out again, that is) - sometimes it won't, leaving me in second. If I manually shift down into third, it isn't actually third that I get, but second - but at least I have power again (up to about 40 miles an hour, at which point second gear is pretty well topping out.)

I've checked fluid - its full in both the transfer case and the transmission itself. My brother had a problem very similar to this on a 2003 Duramax, and it ended up being his transfer case that the shift forks had basically worn out. I'm not yet convinced that I have EXACTLY the same problem, but I seem to remember on of our members runs a transmission shop - I'm really hoping he (she?) will weigh in for me...

Looking for any and all suggestions - I will be casting no aspersions, and no idea is too dumb to be considered!!

Mahalo!

Jonathan
    Last edited by Kuehjo : 02/23/2017 at 06:32 PM