Thread: Transmission/transfer case issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Transmission/transfer case issue

Aloha all!

So. I've had my VX for about 6 months now. I don't think I've put 1000 miles on it yet - though I WANT to.
    Here's my current issue:

The truck starts and runs fine. In fact, I have NO complaints when its cold. But after it starts to warm up I start to get a problem. It first manifests as a rattle/buzzing feel/sound that comes up through the floorboards and pedals and feels a bit like a heat shield. It happens at two particular times - if I'm letting OFF the gas pedal to coast or perhaps decelerate (although if I brake, it almost immediately seems to go away) and when I go from coasting to accelerating, before i really have power transferring through the drivetrain - you know - that "back side of the power curve" spot.

Well, it gets more interesting. Occasionally I'll be cruising along in overdrive, and all of a sudden it will pop out of fear. Not the shift lever - that never moves. But the transmission will jump from overdrive to neutral. The only way I can get power back is to come to a complete stop, and then start out again. Sometimes it will shift back into overdrive again (until it pops out again, that is) - sometimes it won't, leaving me in second. If I manually shift down into third, it isn't actually third that I get, but second - but at least I have power again (up to about 40 miles an hour, at which point second gear is pretty well topping out.)

I've checked fluid - its full in both the transfer case and the transmission itself. My brother had a problem very similar to this on a 2003 Duramax, and it ended up being his transfer case that the shift forks had basically worn out. I'm not yet convinced that I have EXACTLY the same problem, but I seem to remember on of our members runs a transmission shop - I'm really hoping he (she?) will weigh in for me...

Looking for any and all suggestions - I will be casting no aspersions, and no idea is too dumb to be considered!!

Mahalo!

Jonathan
    Last edited by Kuehjo : 02/23/2017 at 06:32 PM

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    That would be Melanie from Little Rock, AR that has the shop.

I'd hit her up over on the VX facebook page for some help.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    That would be Melanie from Little Rock, AR that has the shop.

I'd hit her up over on the VX facebook page for some help.
    I appreciate that - thank you. I knew there was SOMEONE on here...

Hmmmm - new update...

So I've been reading a bunch about the 4L30E. Sound like the 2-3 solenoid is going out. And a solenoid kit is about $150 and a couple hours on your back. I can do that.

Update though - I have NOT been driving the truck (not repaired, and I didn't want to make things worse) until yesterday. Drove GREAT yesterday with no shift issues - just still that vibration/buzzing when just off the throttle. Had to drive the truck to work today (that's about a 40 mile commute). Doing its usual thing (except no transmission shift issues - thank you Lord!) until about mile 30 when I noticed that the vibration/buzzing had basically disappeared - but right about the same time as my TOD check light began blinking.

Hmmmm. So probably that buzzing is a TOD/transfer case issue. Probably not a bad half-shaft or universal joint. Certainly not a loose heat shield.

I'm not sure whether to be grateful, or super worried... Yet...

On the topic of transfer cases... my VX recently started making a knocking noise when coasting. Sounded like maybe U joint, maybe CV, but those have all been checked out and appear fine. Mechanic thinks it is something in the TC, but doesn't get into those, so recommended a transmission shop.

This is way more of a project than I am able to take on.

I'm in So Cal, with extended AAA towing, but don't know where to take it. I want to find someone with access to parts, some knowledge of the nuances of these beasts, and all that. I can't find "Mike" who used to be in Monrovia at Sierra. As I recall, there were some other experienced mechanics out there but I can't recall how to contact them.

Any ideas? Or maybe the problem is something else entirely?