Thread: Climate Control 2001

Climate Control 2001

Hi. Got another vx. 2001 Ironman at that.
    This is a departure from my 1999 when it comes to the climate control.

First, its always on full blast and would not turn off. (Unless engine is off)
    Second, It seems it wants to go to Auto mode depending on the mode and temperature I attempt to select. Plus in AC mode.
    Third the knob does not click in any position.

- Does the climate control come as a whole in dash unit like the stereo?
    - Is it the same situation with the 99 when the solenoid burns out? is there one in this model?
    - Manual? link please.

Thank you for the response. This is the most darn confusing climate control.

'97 Astral 1334, '97 Astral 1320, '98 Golden Mica 1432
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSix View Post
    Hi. Got another vx. 2001 Ironman at that.
    This is a departure from my 1999 when it comes to the climate control.
    Hi Zero Six,
    First, its always on full blast and would not turn off. (Unless engine is off) Probably the heater motor resistor has all three resistor elements burnt out. The resistor is located behind the glove box. Two screws to remove the glove box then you can access the resistor to remove and check it. See my post at ( http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...imate-control) The resistor elements slow down the motor for the lower fan speed settings. Without the resistors functioning the motor will always default to full speed. If you cannot turn the fan off at all then you likely have a short under the power distribution box; I'll talk about that later.
    Second, It seems it wants to go to Auto mode depending on the mode and temperature I attempt to select. Plus in AC mode. Both these faults are likely due to a short underneath the power distribution box.
    Third the knob does not click in any position. The turn knob should have three soft click positions, "Off", "Auto" and "Low" then a series of little clicks as you turn the knob to "High".

- Does the climate control come as a whole in dash unit like the stereo? Yes.
    - Is it the same situation with the 99 when the solenoid burns out? is there one in this model? I do not have any experience with the manual temperature control module. The only solenoid I am aware of in connection with the blower motor is for the air conditioning compressor and is located next to the blower motor resistor.
    - Manual? link please. Not quite sure what you mean here but in case you are referring to the workshop manual, in my post above, I also included the two wiring diagrams of the climate control system which you may find helpful.

Thank you for the response. This is the most darn confusing climate control.
    You sure got that right when it comes to troubleshooting!

Regarding a possible short under the power distribution box (engine compartment fuse box) - Recently, my climate control system went completely whacky! Following draw testing, I discovered that around 40 minutes after the engine was switched off and I had left the vehicle, the climate control unit would suddenly draw power indirectly through the the windshield wiper solenoid then the heater motor solenoid. The wire connectors to the underside of the power distribution box are so close as well, the wires are bundled so tight together. Turned out that there was corrosion between the terminal connectors to the solenoids of the windshield wiper motor and the heater blower motor. After about 40 minutes the engine cooled and the terminals touched as the power distribution box cooled and shrank! Prior to this event, I was having similar problems with the climate control deciding by itself to go onto Auto. I am not necessarily suggesting that this may be your problem but if all else fails, its worth looking into.
    Since your blower motor control knob has no discernable notches/clicks, I would start there; sounds suspect. Maybe second, disconnect the air conditioning compressor solenoid to see if that is forcing the motor on then thirdly check the blower motor resistor. Can you ask the previous owner if they had issues with the climate control unit and if so, did they make a temporary fix?
    Hope this helps.
    Best of regards,
    Geoff
    AKA Jayd-S

thats awesome!
    This was the best answer I can hope for.

The power distribution box is the big fuse box on the driver side by the abs and battery correct?

i will take a peek.

thank you again.