Thread: Loud snap or clank in 4wd low under heavy load.

Loud snap or clank in 4wd low under heavy load.

I've read up on axles and CV joints but I don't THINK that's my problem.
    Under heavy loads like up against a fair sized rock that I want to roll over, on a steep hills with something I need to get over, if I give it a little too much throttle it snaps loud. I stop.
    If I try it by just being very gentle I can get through but a bumpy rough road before a obstacle makes that tough to control the peddle while on a roll. I get no clicking, vibration, or funny noises.

My VX has new outer half shafts, (maybe full axles) from the previous owner so I'm thinking he was trying to find,fix this problem which still might be the problem being I have no clue which brand or balls it has. I was only told new axles and I can see the outer have been replaced.
    My VX also has 230,000 miles on it. I don't get the noise unless I'm in 4wd low.
    With this many miles on my VX I was wondering about the chain in the transfer case.

Thanks. Butch

Is there a transfer case that will fit without too much modifications that has.. 2wd, 4wd high, 4wd low selector ?
    I really dont need or care about TOD

A trooper transfer case might do the trick and they are inexpensive, and plentiful in wrecking yards.

Any clue on the years ?

Thanks for the help.

Before changing the transfer case check the motor mounts and the transmission mount many times these parts have been found broken. The play and stress while in 4 low could be the source of the noise. Also get the u joints greased. These are common areas to cause Before noise.
    Last edited by arcobarco : 01/06/2017 at 07:11 AM Reason: Typo

Thanks..
    I did grease everything, u joints, slip yokes, I checked all mounts by sight and a pry bar while I was looking to see how to lower the front diff enough to put in trooper axles. That's when I saw the new axles and had to check my list of installed new parts from the ex owner.
    My idea is. The next time in put it on my friends hoist, I change axles to trooper, and another transfer case.
    I think I'm just going to switch to complete NEW/REBUILT trooper axles anyway. But I need to have all the parts and be ready. His hoist isn't free very often.

Now I just need the years of transfer case and axles AND does the chain in the transfer case slip if it has wear.
    1992-1999 ?

Thanks again.. Butch
    Last edited by Nikad92397 : 01/06/2017 at 08:57 AM

I've been looking and found a 1999 trooper with TOD with 130,000 mi with a tranny that's acting up for a few hundred bucks. Never been off road.

Will the axles be the stronger ones ? I think / know the transfer case is close enough to work with a few mods.

I will be removing the engine, trans, transfer case. Maybe axles.
    What else should I take off before scraping it ? Too little ? Keep it all ?

Thanks
    W

I have a 98 trooper for similar reasons. All of the suspension parts will swap over, but the gearing will change. I am not completely sure if there is any difference regarding electric connections or sensors. I am not sure what I wI'll do with what is left of the one I have.