Thread: Gas tank problems

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gas tank problems

So like some of you my gas tank started leaking. Would fill it 1/2 way then went to 1/4 way and would smell gas leaking for an hour or two out side of the car. The gas tank needle would always dance around and I figured with 110,000 miles it was starting to rust and needed to be replaced. I bought a 2nd hand used tank from Ebay, from a guy that has sold many vehicross parts on Ebay - seller was sadie_primal - who by the way was a great guy ! and made sure I got the parts in good condition. Well I ordered a new fuel pump from rock auto. sender unit, gaskets, float valves, and all hardware from Jack Miller Isuzu in Kansas which were a great help also. From fear of the used tank rusting I prepped and painted it with POR-15 another great product which stops rust and made the tank look new (lots of videos on Youtube).
    So today the Vehicross went to the gas station (they have a lift to make the job easy) and they took down the old tank.
    What I saw was the tank it self was not leaking - it was the sender unit on the side of the gas tank which rusted out around the seal and therefore causing the gas to leak. I had them replace the tank with my refurbished one and I should be able to go another 100,000 miles. Rear bumper had to be pulled down, and tank guard removed to replace fuel tank.
    So if anyone needs a fuel tank - I have one but it needs a new sender ! - This is not an easy job and after all parts and labor and shipping it was close to a grand to do. I love my car, have had it since 5,000 miles (second owner) and have a lot of the little problems we all share as Vehicross owners but would not trade it for another car ! - in the future I for see a rebuilt transmission and finally a paint job (but only have to do half) :0 - cladding covers the other half !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrlarrys For This Useful Post:

CatFish (04/13/2017), siemprelisto (12/23/2016)