Thread: Twisted Oil dipstick

Twisted Oil dipstick

Hoo boy. The saga continues....

My question first though - is the oil dipstick SUPPOSED to be twisted? I know some vehicles are (Some Dodge and Jeep) - is ours? Or maybe I don't have the right dipstick? Because mine looks like a giant corkscrew....

And here's the rest of the story. So far.

So - I got the axle bearing replaced, and the front end all back together. Take it around the block for a test drive and it feels good - but then I get that tickle in the back of my mind that says "wait - you were so focused on getting that axle seal on, did you remember to grease the bearing?" Aw dammit.... And we're supposed to go out to dinner... So I park the truck, and this morning I pull it all apart again. Yup, I greased it all right. Cool. No harm no foul. Hey wait - why is there a puddle of coolant on top of the a-arm?

Get the front end all back together, and check the overflow tank. Dry. Pop the radiator cap - dry. Start looking around... It's a new radiator and new hoses.... Hey wait - the bottom hose (passenger side) isn't even ON the radiator - and the clamp is busted right in half... (I've never seen one of those screw clamps broken like that!!)

I'm starting to think no wonder the PO let go - whoever the mechanic was did NOT DO GOOD WORK.

I don't THINK I've blown a head gasket - I HOPE I haven't - but I've no idea when it let go, or how much I might have driven like that... Of course, I've got less than 100 miles on the truck so far. Grrrr. I think this truck is going to get a VERY close once-over - and ALL fluids are going to get changed...

Still waiting to have a chance to really fall in love...

(sorry for the double post - I really don't know what happened there...)
    Last edited by Kuehjo : 12/05/2016 at 02:18 PM

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Yep, oil dipstick is twisted.

If it didn't get hot you should be okay.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

worst case, you can have a shop test the coolant for hydrocarbons. run it a bit & then test.

p.s.

I did have the head gasket replaced on mine. Don't know when it went out--if it was my driving or it was previous to me buying it. It was protesting (temp gauge pinging) prior to me driving it across death valley (immediately after purchase)--but didn't have any telltale signs of boiling or anything. So I drove it from San Diego to Phoenix, and then Phoenix to SLC, and didn't end up with boil-over (visible) or anything either time--but I could HEAR boiling. But sometime shortly after I was in Utah, I started getting visible boil-over (steam). Haven't had any issues since I got it changed. 6k+ miles and counting.

If you do have to get it done, tell them to source Honda passport parts. IDK why, but it seems that's usually cheaper.

Thanks guys! I was a little worried about that oil dipstick.

Coolant hose is now fixed. Only took a little less than a gallon of 50/50, so I must have popped that hose just as I pulled back in the yard, or as I was coming up the road... (gravel drive, would be easy not to see the coolant in that). Truck is running great, and I see no other leaks. No white smoke, and never overheated that i saw, so I think I'm probably fine. I do have a test kit for blown head gaskets - I might just break that out and test it for the heck of it...

I'm curious to see what my oil consumption is going to be given that so many seem to have had significant problems with that... I'll watch it carefully. The engine and bay are surprisingly clean and well kept, so either they did a GREAT detailing job (seems less likely) or the PO was pretty meticulous about maintenance.

Oh and CL has another for sale in Hilo (On the Big Island)
    I am sorely tempted...
    Oh what the hell - Two has to be better than one... maybe the GF wants to drive one!
    Last edited by Kuehjo : 12/07/2016 at 01:38 PM

If you can afford it, might not be bad to have 2. One to keep stock--one to go crazy with.

I haven't had any oil consumption issues. I'm in the vast MINORITY on that. I'm not sure if the engine was rebuilt or what--because even though I check the dipstick at virtually every fill-up, the line never seems to move & the stick is always wet. I consider myself lucky.

I've heard that rebuilds can address this burning issue by fixing internal flaws in the block/engine--but I'm not sure on the specifics. Something about oil-squirters or something.

Pics?