Hoo boy. The saga continues....

My question first though - is the oil dipstick SUPPOSED to be twisted? I know some vehicles are (Some Dodge and Jeep) - is ours? Or maybe I don't have the right dipstick? Because mine looks like a giant corkscrew....

And here's the rest of the story. So far.

So - I got the axle bearing replaced, and the front end all back together. Take it around the block for a test drive and it feels good - but then I get that tickle in the back of my mind that says "wait - you were so focused on getting that axle seal on, did you remember to grease the bearing?" Aw dammit.... And we're supposed to go out to dinner... So I park the truck, and this morning I pull it all apart again. Yup, I greased it all right. Cool. No harm no foul. Hey wait - why is there a puddle of coolant on top of the a-arm?

Get the front end all back together, and check the overflow tank. Dry. Pop the radiator cap - dry. Start looking around... It's a new radiator and new hoses.... Hey wait - the bottom hose (passenger side) isn't even ON the radiator - and the clamp is busted right in half... (I've never seen one of those screw clamps broken like that!!)

I'm starting to think no wonder the PO let go - whoever the mechanic was did NOT DO GOOD WORK.

I don't THINK I've blown a head gasket - I HOPE I haven't - but I've no idea when it let go, or how much I might have driven like that... Of course, I've got less than 100 miles on the truck so far. Grrrr. I think this truck is going to get a VERY close once-over - and ALL fluids are going to get changed...

Still waiting to have a chance to really fall in love...