Thread: Do I need a new "air filter" hose?

Do I need a new "air filter" hose?

I'm not a mechanic so please be nice people. This hose (air filter) has come loose on filter box and cracked seal on engine end. Please confirm: this is a air filter hose? what is aftermarket part no.? Is this easy to replace myself (assuming i can buy one cheap online). Or is it just easier/cheaper going to local mechanic. Thanks guys!

The correct name for that is an "Air Intake Hose" I've gone through the manual, and in thousands of pages, they've allocated a whole two pages to this......and they don't give a part number.

Try this site?

https://www.acurapartssuperstore.com...ake-s/5786.htm

...forgot. Don't drive it like that. If you HAVE to, seal it with heat resistant silicon sealant until you can replace.

Running unfiltered air through the motor is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    The correct name for that is an "Air Intake Hose" I've gone through the manual, and in thousands of pages, they've allocated a whole two pages to this......and they don't give a part number.

Try this site?

https://www.acurapartssuperstore.com...ake-s/5786.htm
    Why Acura parts? I've heard of some Honda parts being compatible but Acura? Also, there is a number of the hose #0714 ??

...because it also runs the 6VE1 motor, and the air intake system is identical.....the Honda's might be the same too, but I can't vouch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    ...because it also runs the 6VE1 motor, and the air intake system is identical.....the Honda's might be the same too, but I can't vouch for that.
    The reason i said Honda is because I bought a replacement radiator last year that was compatible with Honda Passport. Anyways back to the Acura parts... looking at my pics do I just need ITEM 4 - 1998 SLX PREMIUM AIR INLET? or do i need to order other parts as well? btw thanks for all your help thus far i know i'm super green to this stuff.

Why is the configuration of your air intake so bent? That the is usually in straight alignment to the air box. So you have the air box displaced by some aftermarket part between it and the front of the vehicle? If you look at pictures of the engine bay posted in the member gallery you will hopefully understand better. This air intake tube is the same on 3.5L motors in 1998 and newer troopers. Used from a Wrecking yard will be much less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by arcobarco View Post
    Why is the configuration of your air intake so bent? That the is usually in straight alignment to the air box. So you have the air box displaced by some aftermarket part between it and the front of the vehicle? If you look at pictures of the engine bay posted in the member gallery you will hopefully understand better. This air intake tube is the same on 3.5L motors in 1998 and newer troopers. Used from a Wrecking yard will be much less expensive.
    oh yeah did i forget to mention she was in a minor front end bender a few years ago? so yeah the driver's headlight is pushed in a bit. I think the air intake hose is OEM but not 100% sure. But either way yes the alignment is off but worse the seal is broken to the engine so it needs to be replaced. Btw when you say "This air intake tube is the same on 3.5L motors in 1998 and newer troopers" do you mean any 1998 vehicle or just Isuzu's?

Sorry for the confusion. They are the same in 1998 and newer 3.5L Isuzu Troopers. I'm not so sure if the part is the same in the rodeo. I just used this part com a 98 Isuzu Trooper.

like most others online parts dealers, they say they have it for sale but when i try to order it i get out of stock not able to locate. does anyone know where i can get this stupid part?
    Last edited by louweed : 10/14/2016 at 08:14 AM

Have you tried eBay? I found a new replacement intake hose for my car at about half the price some of the online sites were asking. And if there is a cross-referenced part available from Honda or Acura, your odds are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Have you tried eBay? I found a new replacement intake hose for my car at about half the price some of the online sites were asking. And if there is a cross-referenced part available from Honda or Acura, your odds are even better.
    will this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/262541120832

[QUOTE=louweed;310864]
    Quote Originally Posted by will this work? [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/262541120832"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/262541120832[/URL]
    I had mine off last weekend and that one looks the same, even down to the location of the inlet sensor placement. I couldn't tell from the pictures just how good of shape it's in (no cracks, etc), so if you have any questions about that you could always ask for a few better lighted pics.

I have a few oem hoses if ya need pm me
    Dan/2001 Proton/MD

The air intake is one thing, and can be taken care of fairly easily, but I am curious about your PCV valve? I think that I see the clip that holds the tube onto the PCV valve tucked under the plastic engine cover (in the second photo above), but I don't see the tube going to it and the engine cover is cut up in that location.

I don't think that it will cause too much of a problem for the engine (I'm sure that I have driven around with mine completely clogged and not working), but it might be something to look at.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless