Thread: 3.2 JDM TOD wiring circuit please

3.2 JDM TOD wiring circuit please

Hi Guys, yea the girls too...

I've run into a problem with the TOD system on my '98 Jap VX.

The TOD system does not engage at all. I've tried to trace the wires, but the circuits available are for the US models, and the colours are different. It might be the same as the '98 Trooper, but I can't get anything on that either.

I'm pretty certain it's damaged wires.

When shifting to TOD while driving in 2WD, the system just blinks at me. The TOD lights come on for 5 seconds, gives a quick blink, then again 5 seconds on. It carries on like that until the "Check" light comes on. Going back to 2WD the "check" light goes off again.

Also, when shifting to 4L, the front diff actuator don't engage. When I swop the vacuum pipes around it kicks in instantly.

Any comments appreciated.

Okay, so after reading through the Trooper manual, (which I found on a Jeep site) it turns out that even the '98 RHD Trooper has the same colour scheme as the US Vehicross. What I DID find very helpful was the TOD error codes and reset procedure when you don't have a Tech2 diagnostic "reader".

Following the instruction, pin 8 to earth and ignition on, it pulsed codes 13, 28 and 32. All related to wires going to earth, or off. Now I'll need some daylight time at home to track and replace those wires.

Pin 8 to earth, ignition on, T/C in neutral and pulse the brakes 5 times in 5 seconds works well for resetting the error codes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:

Y33TREKker (09/28/2016)

Have you seen any info indicating whether aftermarket readers can be used for obtaining the codes?

It's been my understanding that the Tech 2's are good for reading all codes on the VX whether they be for the engine, transmission, or TOD, but I didn't know if other aftermarket scanners were as all-encompassing about what they could read.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Have you seen any info indicating whether aftermarket readers can be used for obtaining the codes?
    Never tried to search for that. I know the TechII is rather good. My local GM (Isuzu agent in SA) agent uses it. I've got a good relationship with him. He doesn't mind just quickly plugging in and having a look.

Neg terminal off for 30 seconds works for me for Check Engine, and pin 8 work well for TOD error codes. Of course terminal off don't give you any codes....but it does get rid of the odd intermittent problem.

TOD problem solved. Saturday while the Springboks were beating the Aussies (at last), I was under the VX with multi meter and 14mm socket and ratchet in hand. Why socket and ratchet? To take off all the belly protection and get to the wires.

After a long search I couldn't find anything wrong with the wires. Even went so far as to put her on trestles and run her in all modes while I'm under her. Make sure you know what you do before trying this. A VX in 4L and 800rpm won't stop if it comes off those by accident....

All the wires to the front diff actuator checked out okay. 11v in 2H and 5v in H-TOD and 4L
    When pulling out the one connector, I heard the solenoid go "click"....you won't hear this with the engine running.
    The other one didn't do a thing, although the voltages on the wires are exactly the same.
    I took the "dead" one off and found a lot of dust inside. After sending some WD40 through the pipes, it kicked back into life.

Re-assembled the whole lot, and the TOD is happy as a pig in the proverbial.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:

Y33TREKker (10/03/2016)

Well done Sakkie. It seems the weather protection aspect of some of the connectors chosen for the VX aren't as robust as they could have been, which is surprising for an off-road capable SUV.

I know I once also experienced an issue with the TOD system that was caused by moisture getting into at least one of the connectors back on the passenger side tailshaft area of the transmission anyway. I had to unplug two of them, clean them out, add some dielectric grease, then cover them with shrinkwrap and electrical tape to keep water from getting in again (so far so good).

Glad that's all it took to get your VX back on the road.

Invictus!

It wasn't the electrical connector that picked up water damage, it was a serious amount of dust INSIDE the valve...I have no idea how that got in there, as the vacuum "breather" goes all the way up into the engine bay. I'm considering putting a small inline fuel filter at the end of the "breather" to act as dust protection.